Has anyone any advice on this situation?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We recently purchased a washer/dryer unit from a local ferretero, at the same time we were having some bathroom remodelling done. The electrican
who was doing our work completed the installation of the 220 line that we needed and we made arrangements with the manager of the store to have the unit delivered and installed. They delivered when we were in Puerto Plata, with no call first, unwrapped the parcel and proceeded up the stairs with no covering, they broke a new tile in my bathroom bringing it into the room. Ok so far all of this I can deal with. Next the installer arranged by the manager shows up late on Sunday afternoon, again no call, and does a terrible job, rigs together a wire out of three wires and electrical tapes them together and uses a plug where the ground does not properly work. My other half got a shock from that. We finally managed to get this running and when we went to use our 110 outlet it had stopped working. The original electrician came back and was appalled at the job that was done on our washer and dryer... the installer was supposed to return but never has, so my guy called the manager at the store and told her how bad this was, it really is a wonder we were not badly hurt, but he was told that if he touched the washer/dryer installation our warranty would be no good, it had to be their guy..... I have phoned the store again, but the manager is too busy to talk to me and they say the owner is away and will not provide a number.
The original installer is to come back tomorrow... no time set, no anything and we had plans to be away for the day to POP.... What possible recourse does anyone have in this situation? Has anyone faced this type of problem before.. I am certainly frustrated and not a little annoyed at the treatment we have received.
Any imput is as always appreciated.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Thank god your spouse is ok!

Wouldn't the guarantee be with the manufacturer and not the ferreteria? Is it new? Which brand?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Cc??

Any chance you paid by credit card? Third party dispute. I try to use the cc for this reason all the time.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is little nothing you can do except kick up a stink.
You could summons the electrician to a Fiscal's office and turn it into a big case, but it may cost you a lot of time, energy and money, and still not get you results, if the dude is more connected than you are.
We all have to chew our lumps from time to time.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Any chance you paid by credit card? Third party dispute. I try to use the cc for this reason all the time.
When I saw the CC title to your post, I thought you were going to tell us how CC resolves these problems.
When he can't get satisfaction, he gets revenge.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
CC's don't always get incolved depending on the dispute. The product he/she ordered was deliverd. Visa seems to have a very fine line. It's worth a shot though.

My point is, if the set is new his/her guarantee should be honoured, no matter who installs the appliances. (Even if they chose to do it themselves)

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Your electrician could help?

This would be frustrating , here's what I would do, I would stay home until the original installer arrives to fix the problem.
You mentioned it was your electrician that arranged with the store for the installation. I would have him inspect the work when its done, if its not up to par I would have him call the store manager to make arrangements to correct this. This could be a dragged out time consuming effort but what choice do you have:ermm:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If they treat you this way now, then the warranty probably isn't worth much anyway. Do the safe thing with your own good electrician. But before you do, get your good guy back tonight to hook up a little extra :cheeky: surprise in the 220 line so that when the shop guy gets there tomorrow he..........well basically so that he won't forget he did such a lousy job for you. Or he'll permanently forget, one of the two. Then get your good guy back & get it installed safely.

If it went wrong 3 months down the line you wouldn't want the bad guy back anyway. And tell all your friends not to shop at the store.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
They delivered when we were in Puerto Plata, with no call first, unwrapped the parcel and proceeded up the stairs with no covering, they broke a new tile in my bathroom bringing it into the room.

I am going to assume that you had someone there to let them in while you were in POP?? Which brings me to the next point -

How much of a fuss do you want to create and perhaps turn the installer hostile - he now knows where you live, what you have in your home, how to get in, etc. I would be concerned that if you get angry with him or get him in trouble with his manager - he could come back to take revenge.

Could you not have your electrician there, or make arrangements with him to come over when the installer shows up and watch over him, so to speak? This might push the installer to do a good job?

Marlie

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
After 13 years of living here.........

..........I wouldn't expect any different.....

Seems normal to me.

I am not trying to make light of your situation, but really, it's to be expected!

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
You know its one thing that I can't stand about the DR..I detest how they absolutely must try to get over at every opportunity that they can.

I would set the wires so that next time he comes he is electricuted and also consider tossing a few Molotoff Cocktails at the manager's house.

They have to be taught one by one that, when they take advantage of a foreigner that a penalty must be paid!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I would be concerned that if you get angry with him or get him in trouble with his manager - he could come back to take revenge.

Only if he thinks they are 'softies'. That's why I was suggesting a riveting experience tomorrow (only a little one ;) ). He won't want to return after that. Chances are he'll do it to himself anyway without any help from Spiced Wine, but if she accidentally spills some water in the same vicinity.............you know, something subtle like that. :cheeky:

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Shocking experience!!!!

Really - I think we had figured out that we had better use our own guy, as Lambada says what is the warranty worth anyway, after all this.
I would like to give the original installer the boost he deserves, but probably better to bite my tongue, take my lumps and move on. Unfortunately the store has good prices, but lousy service..... I am learning about picking the battles. Thanks all for your responses and letting a little venting go on.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If it's any consolation we bought our washing machine (a Whirlpool) 11 years ago in Puerto Plata & it has never needed anyone to fix it as far as I can recall. Chances are the warranty period will expire long before anything ever goes wrong.

There are many good installers here but when you get a bad one all you can do is ban them from your house in my view. Where electrics are concerned it just isn't worth risking your life. If you're not going to light up the installer's life get a bruja to put a curse on him................:cheeky:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
And so you don't "get hit too often..."

..........I wouldn't expect any different.....

Seems normal to me.

I am not trying to make light of your situation, but really, it's to be expected!

In other words "Defensive Driving"

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Missed opportunities

First, any store/business will blow you off on the phone. If you want results you have to become the squeeky wheel. Appearing in the store, in front of their customers while discussing the problem helps. It really helps to do it as often as possible. When they see you are not going away, they will get it done.

Second, Rocky you are so right, about revenge, yet we seem to be hesitant to use this remarkable website to give a heads up to others. If this store is so poorly customer service oriented, why don't we name it so others don't suffer the same misfortune or at least make an educated decision to try the place, in spite of warnings?

Third, as previously stated, use your Visa/ MC. You can pose a real threat to them if they know you CAN dispute and get you money back. In personal experience here, they will try to run the clock out on a dispute by delaying the satisfactory results past the 30 days limit on filing a dipute. Calls that the truck broke down or the unit was scratched so we ordered you a new one from __________ (fill in the blank) Stick to you guns and file a dispute on or before the 29th day.

Our problems were with Distribudora Corripio.They shipped damaged floor models in place of the "new in box" they promised. Use of a credit card and daily trips during busy times and the situation was resolved to our satisfaction.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Diy

I for one would never ever let a Dominican electrician touch my wiring system without knowing him very well.
There are good ones, but then there are also good expats who do those jobs with expertise and who are certified skilled workers.
Look in the papers and find out how many people die in this country because of faulty electricity installations... :tired:

DIY also protects your nerves.

Janin

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
probably better to bite my tongue, take my lumps and move on.
This is the attitude that can save you from becoming a malcontent.
It's difficult at times to chew the lumps, and Lord only knows that I've chewed a lot, but I've also fought back many times, mostly to my great detriment.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have had similar problems as such and have won a few and lost a few. In your specific case to make it right I highly recommend that you personally go to the ferreteria and talk with the highest level person, be it the owner or manager to resolve this issue. Believe it or not, the warranty may not be completely worthless, so I see it as worth the effort.

Also, remember that here in the DR, good customer service is almost an alien concept and would be all but non-existent if it weren't for all of the Doms from NY coming home and demanding it. Therefore, if a lot of expats visit this ferreteria I would expect that the owners would be a little more receptive.

A couple of other pointers to remember, here when talking with the locals it is best not to appear too angry, as when a Dom does that it means things have degraded probably beyond repair. Be insistent but civil and if it is true in fact that the ferreteria has a lot of foreign customers you might mention to them that if they don't take care of you like you should that you will write on an interet forum that not to go to this particular ferreteria and that hundreds of foreigners that live in the area read it everyday. :) or en Spanish:

"Si ustedes no me arreglen bien el problema con la lavadora y el secador, voy a avisar a todos los amigos y conocidos mios que son extranjeros y tambien viven en este area que no compren aqui, porque Udstedes son abusadores y no cumplen con sus deberes.
Buen dia"

Last edited:

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Maybe you can have your electrician there to oversee the stores electrician when he does the work.