Better safe than sorry...

aiquinox

Jan 12, 2008
Hi everyone!

I'm luckily leaving for a vacation in DR in a few days... I've been reading almost every thread with the utmost attention, but I still have a few questions...

I'm going with my family, near Santo Domingo... exactly, I think you're going in Juan Dolio, at Coral Costa Caribe hotel... the thing is... I'm going with my sister. She's a young 19, pretty and wayyyyy to naive... and I'm afraid very vulnerable... I know that "common sense" is the best defence against skankies, says miguel, I'm just afraid she lackin some seriously... and I read a lot about them Chocolate Friends, so I'm a little bit scared... do you have any advice of tricks other than "common sense" so she doesn't get hurt too badly? I can't really lock her in the room and forbid her to take to anybody wearing a "Staff" shirt either, but... I don't know...or maybe somebody's been to this hotel once and knows "trustable" and "untrustable" people...

I'm really eager to discover this country, I just want to get the better out of it and escape the worse...

Thank you and sorry for the lenght!
Jazz

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Tell her what you've learned in advance or give her a link to some of the posts you think are most informative. Tell her you want to see if it really happens, then with her point out the guys with their women. When one's aware of what's going on - it becomes almost comical.

Better to inform her in advance than after the fact when she's convinced someone 'really' loves her. If that doesn't work... well what more can you do than not take her on vacation?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
If you use Facebook, look for the group "Sankies" and you'll see pictures of the guys and all their girlfriends and you can read the comments of tourists and ex-girlfriends. That might help put any attention you receive into perspective. It really depends a lot on how your sister behaves. It takes two to tango.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Hi everyone!

I'm luckily leaving for a vacation in DR in a few days... I've been reading almost every thread with the utmost attention, but I still have a few questions...

I'm going with my family, near Santo Domingo... exactly, I think you're going in Juan Dolio, at Coral Costa Caribe hotel... the thing is... I'm going with my sister. She's a young 19, pretty and wayyyyy to naive... and I'm afraid very vulnerable... I know that "common sense" is the best defence against skankies, says miguel, I'm just afraid she lackin some seriously... and I read a lot about them Chocolate Friends, so I'm a little bit scared... do you have any advice of tricks other than "common sense" so she doesn't get hurt too badly? I can't really lock her in the room and forbid her to take to anybody wearing a "Staff" shirt either, but... I don't know...or maybe somebody's been to this hotel once and knows "trustable" and "untrustable" people...

I'm really eager to discover this country, I just want to get the better out of it and escape the worse...

Jazz

I think it is extremely insulting your term "Chocolate Friends" used towards Dominican people, or for that matter any people.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just make sure you are around here wherever you go out, especially at night - and make sure she comes back to the hotel with you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think it is extremely insulting your term "Chocolate Friends" used towards Dominican people, or for that matter any people.

Why not take it up with the legal department(s) of Coral Costa Caribe and Oasis Hotel- Resorts/Hamaca then, if it offends you so much? The staff coined the term @ both resorts, NOT the OP.

aiquinox

Jan 12, 2008
correction

I far as know from my reading, the term Chocolate Friends refer to the animation team, no necessarily dominican people in general, or I would'nt have used it... :surprised
They have a kids day camp and called it the "choco-time", and they also have a seemingly very popular song called Chocolate Friends song, so I think it really a marketing thing from the hotel, really...

In any way I meant it in a offensive way...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

Ladybird,

The term "Chocolate Friends" is the name of the animacion teams at the Oasis (former Coral) hotels; it is not the OP's term.

It may offend you but your comment should be directed to the hotels, IMHO.

Gregg
Mod.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Chocolat vs. Chocolit

"Chocolate Friends"...
It may offend you but your comment should be directed to the hotels, IMHO.
Well, she just may not like chocolate as a colour or the taste of it... :cheeky:

Janin

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Forget anything Miguel says about common sense. Common sense does not exist.

The only way some people learn is through pain, so if your friend is so naive either don't take her or cut her leash and let her learn the only way some people ever learn any of life's' lessons-THE HARD WAY.

I think it would be funny if you are too busy to enjoy your vacation because you are running after her, making sure she doesn't get "hurt".

Just make sure you go and have your fun without worrying too much about what might happen to her. She'll be just fine.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
When I was in high school during a biology course teacher showed us ugly real life pictures of human body parts infected with STDs. You can also take her to meet and talk to AIDS defined people and children in the US or while in the DR. It definitely helps to get a person back to senses.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi everyone!

Jazz
As you can see, you've opened yourself to a lot of BS. For God's sake, your daughter is 19 and hopefully you raised her well. As a grandfather and having lived here for 20+ years, if you did your "parent" job properly you should not fear anything. I've had several of my grandaughters come to visit over all those years and I never even doubted. PLEASE have a little confidence in your daughter and take some of the dumb advice given here (I said some) with a grain of salt.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Jazz' sister is 19 ... young...naive...vulnerable.

Jazz might be Jasmine?
Some sisters are protective, others like to watch them learn the hard way.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Jazz' sister is 19 ... young...naive...vulnerable.

Jazz might be Jasmine?
Some sisters are protective, others like to watch them learn the hard way.

OOOPS - Misread. My Bad. What I was trying to get accross is if a young lady was brought up properly there should be no great "worries". As for Jazz (Brother or Sister) who made you God. I guess it's normal to be concerned but did you screw up that much that you think maybe she'll do the same.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Things my mother NEVER told me, but my brother DID

Hi everyone!

Jazz

You'll have a great time, the staff are very friendly but keep in mind they get into relationships with girls and women who are open to their advances and who throw themselves at them. Keep that in mind, and when one tells you that he wants you and that he loves you after three nights of filling your wine glass at dinner, you know there's something strange going on because he doesn't know you and you don't know him.

They're not THAT slick, but if your sister isn't used to ANY attention she might fail for the compliments. It's very good for your ego when all of sudden 2 or 3 guys are interested and flatter you. Just keep in mind the next bus will bring some new girls on vacation just as the last bus carried away the sad to be leaving ones.

Your sister needs to be aware that just because the alcohol is free, and not $5-6 a drink doesn't mean you have to drink $30 worth and it doesn't mean you have to drink from 10 am until the disco closes. Set a limit and don't exceed it, because booze will weaken your willpower. If you go to the disco together, leave together. There is safety in numbers and with the buddy system. You can fool around in public and it won't go anywhere, but don't go for a walk on the beach alone with him. Because once he gets you alone and in the sand, YOU'RE TOAST and he gets to tell his friends about you. Don't go there unless you're prepared to protect yourself.

"Save yourself for someone special." that's what my boozing, marijuana smoking brother told me. Did I listen, yes.

Last edited: