just a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

melgium

Jan 12, 2008
:ermm:Hello everyone:) this is my first time travelling to DR, my boyfriend and I are totally excited.. I just had a few questions i was hoping someone could help me with.

First of all the 27 waterfalls: I have read numerous statments saying they came home with a parasite living in their stomaches:ermm: that worries me a little bit. So i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this.

Second, he wanted to try the horse back riding and we cant find much information on how long it is and how much.

and Third i will be at the Sun Village, is there any suggestions for what we should do when we are there.

thank you all!!!

melgium

Jan 12, 2008
Wow thank you all for your help.... :ermm: i was told this forum would help answer my questions... HAH!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wow thank you all for your help.... :ermm: i was told this forum would help answer my questions... HAH!
Sometimes nobody has the answer to a particular question, so we wait and hope someone else does.
You surely wouldn't want bad answers, would you?
Take me, for example.
I've been living here for 17 years but never heard about the parasite you mentioned, but then again, I don't hang out with tourists too much, so it may have escaped me.
I certainly am not qualified to answer your question.
As for horseback riding, the only place I know is Gypsy ranch, and that's way too far away from your resort.
And finally, I have no idea of what do do at your resort, or any resort for that matter.
I perceive them as a place for newly-weds or newly-deads, of which I am neither, thus quite uninformed on the matter.
So here I am, one of the most prolific posters in the history of DR1, with no good responses to your questions, and apparently, few others have the responses either.
You could go to Debbie's Dominican Travel Forums - Home for more info on AI resorts, and what to do there.
Lastly, trying to ridicule us/DR1 does nothing to endear you to us.
Sometimes, it takes a while to get an answer to a question, sometimes never, but if you have done your homework and read DR1 a fair bit, you would see that we do a better job of it than any other such forums.
If you were just having a bad moment and were disappointed, then you're forgiven for your insulting tone.
If that's your natural way, then please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
First of all the 27 waterfalls: I have read numerous statments saying they came home with a parasite living in their stomaches:ermm: that worries me a little bit. So i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this.

No the 27 waterfalls are already at home...............:laugh::laugh: Seriously type Damajagua Falls into the Search drop down menu and then read all the threads on it. See if you can find a reference to parasites there because I do not recall reading anything on this & I've most certainly never heard it.

I would have put the links here for Damajagua Falls but then I saw this, which didn't enthuse me to do the work for the poster.

If you think we are slow to respond you have yet to meet a Dominican cultural icon known as the ma?ana syndrome..............Try not to be petulant when you're posting, melgium, it does tend to put people off.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry melgium,
Put the fault of our not replying down to Robert & Dolores (owners of this board/forum). They paid us our Christmas bonus (200% increase to boot) late this year & we only received it on Friday night. I suspect (like me) everyone who could have answered your question was out bingeing all that money away &/or having a LONG, QUIET weekend with friends!!

Have a word with the tour company you are coming down with about the tours/excursions they offer. They will certainly try to sell you some tours whilst you are here so they might be pleased to give you the information in advance so you can do some extra homework into the tours!

DO let us know how your holiday went with your boyfriend once you are back home. Please keep us informed as to whether you contracted these parasites people speak of as we would then be able to give IMMEDIATE feedback to anyone asking the same question. ~ Grahame.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you're in good physical shape and adventurous, Rio Damajagua is something you'll never forget.

Do the entire thing, not the regular short one. I've done it 3 times now, and never had anything worse than a bruise...

Bring sneakers with good soles you won't mind tossing afterwards, you'll need them.

(BB-when I ask Robert about the Christmas bonus, he just says "the check is in the mail"...;))

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
If you're in good physical shape and adventurous, Rio Damajagua is something you'll never forget.

that rules out about 95% of the men on here :ermm:

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Sun Village

:ermm:Hello everyone:) this is my first time travelling to DR, my boyfriend and I are totally excited.. I just had a few questions i was hoping someone could help me with.

Second, he wanted to try the horse back riding and we cant find much information on how long it is and how much.

and Third i will be at the Sun Village, is there any suggestions for what we should do when we are there.

thank you all!!!

First - The waterfalls are a must if you are in decent physical condition. One of the best days of my life. Have fun !!! You can buy this tour on the beach at Cofresi. You can also buy the horseback riding on the beach at less cost than Sun Village will sell it for. I cannot remember what we paid for the 3 hour horseback ride. I think it was about $30.00.
We rode through a haitain village( the name is escaping me and bothering the hell out of me). It was about 10 minutes from accross the highway from Playa Dorada. At any rate it was a great experience.
If you are not a regular rider 3 hours is more than enough. You must trust me on this one.
As for the parasites, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ;)

Second - Things to do at Sun Village ? It is rather remote , about 6 km from POP . The resort is a very nice one by AI standards but your activities will be limited to lounging around one of the 7 pools , drinking from one of the 8 or 9 bars , swimming in the ocean etc. , not so bad.
The giant 20 person jacuzzi is a must around sundown .
Nightlife is very limited.
There is a little bar about a 3 minute walk off of the resort that I really like. It is called Chris & Maddy's . Check it out to get off the resort for a bit.
We had our anniversary dinner there and it was great. Chris was even kind enough to put the hockey game on for us after dinner.
Ted's Island BBQ (recently renamed to something else) is also a two minute stroll down the beach. When you get tired of the resort food check it out.
Ocean World is next door as well but I have never wandered over.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

I have a horrible feeling that you will not enjoy the REAL Dominican Republic with your attitude so suggest you stay inside your AI resort and just subscribe to the tours which they organise for you.... shame, because there is just so much more to experience but you need an 'open mind' and a little patience to appreciate it all... this is a manana country after all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ah , the impatience of youth. The OP remarks were obviously because of the lack of answers she received and Whirlybird judging by your recent answers on a number of treads you need to, as my kids say take a chill pill. Somebody probably told her that the folks at DR1 were extremely helpful; they neglected to tell her how thin-skinned some of them are.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirlybird judging by your recent answers on a number of treads you need to, as my kids say take a chill pill. Somebody probably told her that the folks at DR1 were extremely helpful; they neglected to tell her how thin-skinned some of them are.

Aww, Bob, I didn't realise that, in general, my comments are sounding aggressive. I actually consider myself to be very "chilled" especially under recent circumstances, but obviously you perceive me differently.... I am somewhat intrigued when you refer to 'a number of threads' that I have responded to recently.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Waterfalls Statements

... 27 waterfalls: I have read numerous statments saying they came home with a parasite living in their stomaches:ermm: that worries me a little bit. So i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this.

Well, you got numerous statements...
Want more? :tired:

IMHO, wherever there's clean water, Dominicans tend to polute it (washing lorries, motorcycles, waste disposal, etc.).

6k8gqva.jpg

Janin

Last edited:

melgium

Jan 12, 2008
Well to solidify Bob's theory, I'm incredibly insulted by a lot of the comments I got back. Many were very rude and catty! It was only when I wrote the second post that I started to have my questions answered, I waited a week or so to get an answer when I decided that this board was obviously looking past my questions; perhaps because the tediousness of answering the same questions or plain laziness. Not that I care all THAT much, but i was referred here and all i got was the third degree. Thank you all for your honest and pleasant opinions, and to the ones who attacked me: Take a lesson from the others, if all you are going to do is post on someones thread to deliberately hurt other people..... don't bother. Really whats the point?! When we get back I will defiantly let you all know!

P.S I don't wanna do the Gondola ride, and my boyfriend wants to REALLY bad someone go break it so it doesn't work the week im there:p (im scared of heights)

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Melguim,

You are extremely rude, yet you accuse others of so much of the same. You refer to residents here as being lazy in not answering your posts quickly enough, may I remind you we are not on a salary to post on here. I think by YOUR unpleasant comments you have invited the harsh response you have received

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Melguim,

You are extremely rude, yet you accuse others of so much of the same. You refer to residents here as being lazy in not answering your posts quickly enough, may I remind you we are not on a salary to post on here. I think by YOUR unpleasant comments you have invited the harsh response you have received

And to add to that Melguim, you shouldn't just make assumptions about why "some" people didn't bother to post. I for one could have given you tons of good information, but since I'm not a paying advertiser here yet I AM in the excursion business, I just can't do that here. Hence, my silence.

I do hope you find the information you need to make your vacation complete and that you have the best time ever. Post and tell us how much fun you had here. :cheeky:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
........ It was only when I wrote the second post that I started to have my questions answered, I waited a week or so to get an answer when I decided that this board was obviously looking past my questions; perhaps because the tediousness of answering the same questions or plain laziness.
Check your two posts again melgium - the time between them was only 41 hours. It was a weekend to boot when many of us are away (normally).

P.S I don't wanna do the Gondola ride, and my boyfriend wants to REALLY bad someone go break it so it doesn't work the week im there:p (im scared of heights)
Now HERE's a novel thought - YOU pay for his trip up whilst you stay down below & let your boyfriend go up on his own (or with one of his other friends).

Decisions, decisions ....:ermm:.....:glasses:.... (that's what you have to do when you want to become an adult!!) ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Oh you'll LOVE it! Fabulous views, gentle breezes to make the cablecar sway from side to side, looking down on farms where the animals look so tiny as if they're in a children's toy farmyard & music from a fellow traveller's Walkman to cover the creaking sounds.........super trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.