***GOOD NEWS*** (NOT!:(

C

CES

Copied from the:

" DR1 Daily News"

Friday, 21 July 2000

~ ~ ~ New government to hire 100,000 PRD people ~ ~ ~

The Administrative Secretary of the Presidency-to-be of the Hip?lito Mej?a government that starts 16 August, Pedro Franco Bad?a wants to hire lots of people from his political party to work in government. According to an announcement, in the next three months, the government will appoint 100,000 new employees, most of these PRD people. The committee for recruiting PRD people is made up by Pedro Franco Badia, Guido Gomez Mazara and Eligio Jaquez.

Central Bank statistics show that there are about 325,000 people employed in government in the DR.

" If we refuse to study history then we are DOOMED to repeat the mistakes of the PAST!"

The "PRD" and "the Agronomist" have just flunked their first history lesson test. The first government to be elected in the 21st century is mired in the corrupt politics of the past. :(

. . . . CES

D

Duck

To the victor the spoils. It's the same in every country - why should the D.R. be an exception?

G

Greg and Connie Wales

Re: ***GOOD NEWS*** (NOT!:( OR???

I realize this may only be wishful thinking but, is it possible that these 100,000 appointments will replace the most corrupt of the previous administration and therefore provide a purging effect?

I can see how the political appointments of a previous administration (of a different party) may work to sabotage the new party's administration.

It is true that the "spoils" go to the victor. From what I've observed, it seems political victory in the DR is synonymous with military victory, especially where the distribution of tax revenue is concerned. For the sake of the country this attitude has to change.

J

Joseph McCarthy

The Good O'l boy system is alive and well in the United States. "Its not what you know, its who you know"....famous statement of Americans. No different.

S

sean

I don't have a problem with President elect Mejia hiring people from his own party for positions within the government, but to create 100,000 new jobs that are probably not AT ALL necessary is the standard way for a government that intends to do nothing for its people to "pay off" a large segment of the population and get them to reciprocate the favor by spending most of their time campaigning vigorously and discouraging the other political parties, while at the same time on the government payroll. Over the past two centuries, some Dominican leaders have continually screwed up in the same predictable way -- jack up the payrolls with your supporters, go into debt paying them, print a bunch of pesos, create hyper inflation and wreck the economy. This practice became so endemic in the 19th century that, in 1876, when Ulises Espaillat attempted to end this corrupt system, a broad coalition of caudillos (former enemies) gathered together in outrage that their patronage had been replaced by fiscal responsibility and overthrew him. I would like to think the best of Mr. Mejia, but this definitely shakes my faith and should be considered a real warning sign.

Keep in mind also that he is not "replacing" corrupt officials, he is tacking on 100,000 new jobs -- and there is a real fear that many of them will do nothing other than PRD political work -- without the means to pay for them.