Anyone GET back a rental security deposit?

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Some of you have followed our rental saga (long and drawn out). Now we are in our new house (still in boxes though) and fighting with our old landlord for our security deposit. Fortunately, we listened to the wise folks who said "Don't pay your last month's rent or you'll lose it too." My dh seems to think that if we try to make things "perfect" in the old house, that we'll get out deposit back. My contention is that she'll never be happy and will find a reason to keep it no matter what.

I've spoken to many friends who said they've NEVER gotten a DR security deposit back no matter what they've done. Has anyone received their deposit back and under what conditions? Is it worth it?

The other issue is we have the last month's electric and maintenance bill--which is technically in the name of the landlord. What would YOU guys do?
TIA!
Paz y salud,
DrChrisHE:bunny::bunny::bunny:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Nobody ever gets their deposit back here. You should have lived off of the deposit for your last month.

As for the bill, What Bill?

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Nobody ever gets their deposit back here. You should have lived off of the deposit for your last month.

As for the bill, What Bill?

Exactly as I thought...thanks for the confirmation!

IF one moved around a lot this whole keep the deposit thing could get expensive (or could be quite the racquet for the landlords!)
Paz y salud,

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I dunno. The deposit? Meh...we're entering into a lease that requires two months deposit (and one month "comission"). I figger no rent for the last two months.

But if you used the electricity, why not take the high road and pay for what you consumed?

Call me old fashioned...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Some of you have followed our rental saga (long and drawn out). Now we are in our new house (still in boxes though) and fighting with our old landlord for our security deposit. Fortunately, we listened to the wise folks who said "Don't pay your last month's rent or you'll lose it too." My dh seems to think that if we try to make things "perfect" in the old house, that we'll get out deposit back. My contention is that she'll never be happy and will find a reason to keep it no matter what.

I've spoken to many friends who said they've NEVER gotten a DR security deposit back no matter what they've done. Has anyone received their deposit back and under what conditions? Is it worth it?

The other issue is we have the last month's electric and maintenance bill--which is technically in the name of the landlord. What would YOU guys do?
TIA!
Paz y salud,

We paid three months security in advance or around RD25k, and got back around RD20,000, minus damage that the homewoner claimed we did. We had a contract too. If you have a contract, contact a reputable lawyer and you can get your money back.

I merely had to threathen our landlord that I was going to get a lawyer and she paid me back, albeit over a 4 month period.

(thanks Chris)

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I merely had to threathen our landlord that I was going to get a landlord and she paid me back, albeit over a 4 month period.

Chip, please restate this thing ... I'm lost .. threaten the landlord with a landlord? Figured it is a typo of some kind.

Like someone on the islands once said to me .. My Mind Slipped! ;)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Against all the advice of the experienced folks on DR1 (who I didn't know at the time), we did not rent but bought our house as we brought 5 dogs and 2 cats from the UK and most people don't want to rent to people with that sort of "baggage" but reading your experiences on lost deposits perhaps we made the right decision to buy straight away... fortunately, after almost 2 years living here, we would choose the same house and location now so I guess it is easy to be blase!!!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Very interesting Whirleybird...
We've had people who are eager to rent to us even with our 100lb golden retriever and 2 cats, but THEN when they just HEAR that we have 3 boys (9, 12, and 17) they say "NO WAY!" It's now almost comical. In the US at least, it is the PETS that are the problem but in this area of JD they seem to have an irrational fear of children living in their homes. I suppose that part of it is the fact that they are boys but the larger part is probably that they've been exposed to undisciplined children who completely run amok.

I'm glad buying worked out for you. I DO think if you are set on being here long term that you definitely made the right decision. It's just hard to know that prospectively. We were originally going to only be here for a year. Contrast that to some of the volunteers who get off the plane, last three days and get on the next flight they can book back to their home countries! Everyone reacts a bit differently to the DR. My mother has said she wouldn't last 3 hours here!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Banco Agricola

I know that this sounds a little idealistic, but I have insisted on following the letter of the law in both our rentals and had no problems with the deposit.

I'm not a lawyer, but upon the advice of such and in view of the experiences of others, both positive and not so, we insisted on the houseowner doing the legal thing and placing the 2 months deposit in Banco Agricola in an account in our name which can only be withdrawn with our consent.

There are probably lots of the "amateur" houseowners who would not agree to doing so, but I guess we were lucky and our "landladies" agreed or at least their attorneys agreed, so no hassle about getting the deposit back at the end of the term, and particularly since there were no damages or other liabilities (like unpaid power, water and basura bills) left behind when we vacated the premises.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006

I know that this sounds a little idealistic, but I have insisted on following the letter of the law in both our rentals and had no problems with the deposit.

I'm not a lawyer, but upon the advice of such and in view of the experiences of others, both positive and not so, we insisted on the houseowner doing the legal thing and placing the 2 months deposit in Banco Agricola in an account in our name which can only be withdrawn with our consent.

There are probably lots of the "amateur" houseowners who would not agree to doing so, but I guess we were lucky and our "landladies" agreed or at least their attorneys agreed, so no hassle about getting the deposit back at the end of the term, and particularly since there were no damages or other liabilities (like unpaid power, water and basura bills) left behind when we vacated the premises.

Thanks...Unfortunately when my dh signed the first house agreement almost 2 years ago he had no idea that they had these escrow accounts. It sounds like the right way to go for all involved.

Any other stories of rental deposits anyone???
paz y salud,

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we got our deposit back on a previous apartment but i guess it was only because mami is a lawyer... ;)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
As a landlord, I have learned the hardway. The rental laws appear to favor the renter. However, BOTH need to protect themselves.

PHOTOS: I now have my atty. take photos of everything WITH the renter and myself present, and document everything.

DEPOSITS: 1st and last to me. Security/damage deposit to my attys. acct. When lease is ended and all bills paid, another inspection with photos taken by my atty AFTER they have moved out. If all is normal, security deposit returned on the spot.

My point is... don't get into a contest with landlord or renter. Have your atty document/photograph with everyone as witness with EVERYONE knowing about pets, children or whatever that most likely add to NORMAL wear and tear on the property.

At least it's something to TRY to keep everyone honest and fair.

Regards, Ringo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
As a landlord, I have learned the hardway. The rental laws appear to favor the renter. However, BOTH need to protect themselves.

PHOTOS: I now have my atty. take photos of everything WITH the renter and myself present, and document everything.

DEPOSITS: 1st and last to me. Security/damage deposit to my attys. acct. When lease is ended and all bills paid, another inspection with photos taken by my atty AFTER they have moved out. If all is normal, security deposit returned on the spot.

My point is... don't get into a contest with landlord or renter. Have your atty document/photograph with everyone as witness with EVERYONE knowing about pets, children or whatever that most likely add to NORMAL wear and tear on the property.

At least it's something to TRY to keep everyone honest and fair.

Regards, Ringo
How dare you bring logical protocol into the discussion...;)

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Yes, I am amazed at the number of "level headed" and logical responses I'm getting. What an interesting phenomenon...especially given what seems to be the prevailing "wisdom" on the street...that no one gets their deposit back.

This is turning into yet another Dominican "learning experience" for us. READ "mistake." Our landlord doesn't seem to understand Dominican rental law! That is one of our big problems. For example, when she presented us with a new contract (which we rejected in favor of moving out) she tried to make us culpable for ALL damages regardless of amount or cause (including hurricanes.)

Keep 'em coming. TIA!
Paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
via escrow account?

I have gotten my deposit back on three different occasions. I have always left my rentals in better shape than when I moved in.

I'm curious about those like you who HAVE gotten deposits back. Did you use an escrow account for the deposit? It seems to me that having that makes all the difference in the world here.

TIA!
Paz y salud,

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It IS "Possible" To Get Your Security Deposite Back!

But here in the DR it is a battle that will cost you time,money,and a lot of aggravation! Why bother with all that???
I had 3 months security deposite with the owner's lawyer. I didn't pay the last 3 months rent. I took the keys to the lawyer's office when I had just moved out.He said I owed 3 months rent! He said he had to "ispect" the property. I told him that the house was in better condition than when I moved in.
I told him that I thought we were "EVEN"! He agreed! I left!
Case Closed!
As to weather to "Buy",or "Rent"?
R-E-N-T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Put the money in the bank,use the interest to pay the rent. Keep your "Cake",and "Eat It Too"!
As was stated above, DR "LAWS" favor the Tenant!
If you can show that you are paying the rent,you can stay forever!
Don't sign any "Contract" that has a "Built In" annual rent increase. "Conditions" change in the DR. Tell the owner you will "Negotiate" the next years rent when the "Time Comes". If the contract has no increase stated,you don't have to pay more rent,"When The TIME COMES"!
Ladlords don't maintain theier property,YOU must do that! Keep a record of all wwwork,and "out-of-pocket" expenses. Use those to pay less rent.If the "Electric" tel., and water are in the landlord's name,Screw Him! Just like he would "Screw You"! If he gets the chance!
Cris ColonCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Guess I won't be renting anyone's property from DR1 soon????????????????????:cheeky:

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Thanks CC! LOL but it's the attitude I'm developing TOO! And to think...we left the light bulbs, toilet paper and some cleaning supplies. I may have to sneak back in (several of the doors never locked) and take these too.

Then there are all the things we fixed. I've been informed that we should go take out the insides of all the toilets we fixed.

Our biggest issue right now is that my dh thinks if he treats the old landlady right, she'll be civilized and treat us right...IMNSHO, No--f*ckng way that will happen with the history this woman has with this house and her tenants.