Preparing my wifes personal protection dog

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I'm currently training my "old" dog (he's to my standards a big softy) to become my wifes ppd Here are some impressions from a trail i participated last weekend

So you think you can hide behind a wall (2.2 meters) Have you forgotten that gravity doesn't exist for a malinois
102_0123.jpg

Or even a ditch ( 4 meters - due to the form of the ramp at the other end of the ditch the jump is effectively 6 to 7 meters)
102_0120.jpg

That chair belongs to my master DO NOT TRY TO TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!
102_0132-1.jpg

So you try to harm my master....
102_0136.jpg

102_0125.jpg

And the one i like the most due to the expression of pain on the decoys face
102_0135.jpg

Imagine this dog with a sweet little pink collar :cheeky: How many bad guys would get fooled

Greetings

Johan

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dude, this is great!
when we have the house i'd get a dog and have it trained too. good to know there is a place where you can do it.
hope your wife will never have to "use" the dog...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I'm currently training my "old" dog (he's to my standards a big softy) to become my wifes ppd Here are some impressions from a trail i participated last weekend

So you think you can hide behind a wall (2.2 meters) Have you forgotten that gravity doesn't exist for a malinois
102_0123.jpg

Or even a ditch ( 4 meters - due to the form of the ramp at the other end of the ditch the jump is effectively 6 to 7 meters)
102_0120.jpg

That chair belongs to my master DO NOT TRY TO TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!
102_0132-1.jpg

So you try to harm my master....
102_0136.jpg

102_0125.jpg

And the one i like the most due to the expression of pain on the decoys face
102_0135.jpg

Imagine this dog with a sweet little pink collar :cheeky: How many bad guys would get fooled

Greetings

Johan

Am sorry to say that your photos make me sad....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Teaching a dog HOW to defend his master or friend is not equal to teaching it to be aggressive. Actually, much to the contrary, if it's done in a purposeful manner. Police dogs go thru the same schools and are about the friendliest, peacefullest, safest and happiest dogs you can encounter.
Animals love to learn and please too.
And good defense training may, just like with humans, also safe the dogs life, should the day ever come that it would have to follow it's natural instinct to defend his master / friend / owner or their family.
So I don't think there is anything to be sad about.

... J-D.

A

apostropheman

where were these pix taken?

i'm "guessing" not in the DR :D

A

apostropheman

thanks, i'd figured Germany or Belgium....too bad because i imagine there might be a few members, living in the DR, potentially interested in this type of training for their dogs, or the whole package...dog with training completed.
Belgium?
Cristal Anken is a Czech style beer from Belgium (B&W picture).

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
thanks, i'd figured Germany or Belgium....too bad because i imagine there might be a few members, living in the DR, potentially interested in this type of training for their dogs, or the whole package...dog with training completed.

Yep, I agree, a serious, professional and reputable trainer with the correct outfit, could not only be valuable resource here, but also make a decent income, selling purpose trained quality dogs and / or offering serious training.

... J-D.

A

apostropheman

i agree. many could benefit and as it is not an inexpensive service the breeder/trainer might make a decent living.
Yep, I agree, a serious, professional and reputable trainer with the correct outfit, could not only be valuable resource here, but also make a decent income, selling purpose trained quality dogs and / or offering serious training.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
heldengebroed is planning on moving here - I thought on another thread he said September - is that right Johan? There's another thread where he offered to train a poster's dog for them. I bet that dog is still a softy (around its owner) when he isn't training. What is he called.........Decker? ;)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Yep only 9 months to go and i'll be ther with 4.25 dogs (0.25 is my wifes papillion 3.7 kg of dog) and Coby is a softy the only thing that makes him dangerous to have around is his enthusiasme i've been decked several times by him jumping on me and hitting me with his nose.

I've the equipement and the knowledge to train such a dog the pictures show it

It will be like here part time occupation that will hopefully provide a basic income
And for the comment that these pictures made someone sad:

I have done a worldwide search of accidents with trained dogs. I found 3 all of them with active policedogs none with dogs like that trained and owned by civil personnes.
I can stop an attack within the last meter and this with a dog geared up to bite and running at 40 - 45 km per hour towards his prey

Try this with an untrained dog.

Johan

ps cristal alken is a Belgian beer

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
I have to agree

Teaching a dog HOW to defend his master or friend is not equal to teaching it to be aggressive. Actually, much to the contrary, if it's done in a purposeful manner. Police dogs go thru the same schools and are about the friendliest, peacefullest, safest and happiest dogs you can encounter.
Animals love to learn and please too.
And good defense training may, just like with humans, also safe the dogs life, should the day ever come that it would have to follow it's natural instinct to defend his master / friend / owner or their family.
So I don't think there is anything to be sad about.

... J-D.

A well trained dog is a pleasure to have. Teaching a dog to be aggressive when you want it to be is not the same thing as teaching a dog to be aggressive. Quite an athelete I might add. Shutzhund training?

Sollie

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
A well trained dog is a pleasure to have. Teaching a dog to be aggressive when you want it to be is not the same thing as teaching a dog to be aggressive. Quite an athelete I might add. Shutzhund training?

Sollie

No bBelgian Ring.

The oldest policedogtraining programme in the world. Modern day ringsports such as KNVP (dutch), French Ring, American street ring, mondioring ... and policedogtraining are derived from this.

In contrast with Schutzhund training, which was original a breeding suitability test, Belgian ring was and is a training programme to test the dog to the fullest of his capacities.

Schz is repetitive every excersise is done the same over and over again whereas in Belgian ring the excercises are the same but the way they are axcecuted differs and depends on the imagination of the trainers, judge, decoys. I've had training with explosive firework, water, baloons etc. The dog has to do what it is ordered regaredless what some one puts between him and his target

Greetings

Johan

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Can you pop over to UK to train my Jack Russell - she's a real softy but if a stranger came near me she would go for them, she thinks she has to protect me. We do have a trainer for her and we have been working on it but she has a real dislike of strangers. People that she knows wouldn't believe it in a million years though as she's so loveable with them! I do keep her muzzled when we go out - just in case. She's certainly not nasty just over protective.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
He looks like a Mallinois Belgian Shepherd?

Just to let you know there is a Mallinois kennel / training centre here on the North Coast. It is run by a couple of French guys called Sebastian and Claudio. I bought a bitch and a male puppy from them and they trained them just like in your photos.
They are just over a year old now, and I must admit that although Mallinois are a bit of a handful, they make excellent guard dogs. I fully appreciate the reasoning that an intelligent working dog should not be left untrained. My dogs would be a formidable foe for any intruder, but they are not aggressive. I can walk my dogs on the beach without their leash at all times. One word from me and they are at my heel. The beach dogs love to hassle them and they just ignore them. When a beach dog tries his luck and gets too close to me, my dogs protect me in a frenzy of teeth and snarls, but they do not attack unless I told them to.
Sebastian and Claudio then did a follow-up course at my house. I was amazed to see what my dogs are capable of! They dressed up in all that padding and I was instructed to issue the attack order. My male knocked Sebastian off his feet and attacked him hard. When I told him to stop and come here, he did exactly that. (My dog, not Sebastian!)
Now if only I could get them to stop eating my furniture, they would be the perfect dogs!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
He is a Malinois

Could you give me the coordinates of the french couple (by private mail if you prefer). Always nice to have a training pal in the neighboorhood (same island in this case)

Although i think that, if they are french, they train French ring. Which is a little different.

Greetings

Johan

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
That is a great service for home protection when trained by a professional. This doesnt make me sad at all. A loyal dog will most likely protect your home and family in some way, so why not rigorously train him in commands and judgement? If a wife is home along this must give a god piece of mind to the husband that is away. After training many sporting dogs, i know from experience that they enjoy what they do, the interaction and the purposefullness of their duties. And yes, the DR is an excellent place for this service. I have been in homes in Latin America which had trained security dogs, and they are great family pets as well. Enjoy!