What's the best university on the island?

Karolina_Abroad

Dec 26, 2007
Hi everyone --
I'm looking to do my master's degree in the DR and was wondering what the best university/most well-known is on the island... I'm not sure what my focus is yet..my BA is in English and Women's Studies (which doesn't mean that I"ll be going back into those fields. Also, I'm looking for a univ. whose degree will be recognizable. Oh and ofcourse, I would prefer that the coursework is in English. Is there one like this??

All help appreciated. Thanks!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hmmm...That's debatable I guess. PUCAMAIMA is considered to be one of the best, but I'm not sure they offer an English curriculum. Hillbilly (a long time poster here) should be able to provide more info. INTEC is very good for technical type of degrees and of course some people still claim UASD is the best university in the country. UNIBE offers English language curriculum for some careers (i.e. Medicine) and a joint MBA with Florida International University. They claim they are recognized in The US.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
PUCAMAIMA... it is considered an international university, so lots of non Dominican students attend. From what I know most of the course work is in Spanish, and the non-Spanish speakers take language classes along with their normal ones.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Frankly, if you do not speak, read and write Spanish, there is nothing for you in the DR.
You can go to UNIBE and study Medicine (or, ugh, UTESA in Santo Domingo). Beyond that there are no courses offered in English. After all, why should they??

PUCMM is a fine school with several international programs, but they are programs designed for you to learn about Spanish and Dominican culture, history etc...

HB

MILR0107

Jan 9, 2007
Hi everyone --
I'm looking to do my master's degree in the DR and was wondering what the best university/most well-known is on the island... I'm not sure what my focus is yet..my BA is in English and Women's Studies (which doesn't mean that I"ll be going back into those fields. Also, I'm looking for a univ. whose degree will be recognizable. Oh and ofcourse, I would prefer that the coursework is in English. Is there one like this??

All help appreciated. Thanks!!

Karolina
If you are looking for a recognized Univ. I can recommend PUCMM but I don?t think they have English courses, you can contact their international Students department at: estintern@pucmmsti.edu.do
Right now am getting my MBA at Impac University in Punta Gorda Fl., all online classes, if interested you can visit Welcome to IMPAC University

Karolina_Abroad

Dec 26, 2007
Frankly, if you do not speak, read and write Spanish, there is nothing for you in the DR.
You can go to UNIBE and study Medicine (or, ugh, UTESA in Santo Domingo). Beyond that there are no courses offered in English. After all, why should they??

PUCMM is a fine school with several international programs, but they are programs designed for you to learn about Spanish and Dominican culture, history etc...

HB

Just as a side note -- I do read, write and speak Spanish but am more comfortable learning in English. Also, there are universities all over the world that offer coursework/degrees in English. What the reasons are exactly, I don't know, but it's a common thing (especially in Europe).

Thanks for the advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why....no other reason in the world....

HB

judykiara

Jan 19, 2008
Question for Hillbilly or anyone who can answer.

I want to attend Pucmm for the med program. I am planning to attend in the semester that starts at the end of Aug 2008. I speak, write, and read spanish well.

I have a BA in forensic psychology. Right now I reside in NY and am taking courses that i think are considered pre-med. (Anat & phy I and II, general bio and ora chem I and II, oraganic chem I, micro biology, math 104 for health sciences). When I was an undergrad my GPA was a 2.5 barely. But since I started taking these pre-med courses my GPA is 3.8. Being a doctor has always been my dream, but here in the states its way to much money and harder to get into a med school. Do you think i will be able to get into Pucmm?

Also in their pensum they state that dominican history is required, will any history that i have taken be good or does it have to be dominican history?

What I was trying to do is to take as many pre med courses as possible so that i could go straight into the med program. Thanks in advance

Any response is appreciated.