Any advice re:job openings

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Hi all, new to the site so be gentle LOL
I am a social service worker currently employed in the addiction field. I am engaged to a Dominican and will be moving there in the near future. So, my question is "are there job openings in this field?" I have also worked with children with learning disabilities, and have been a real estate assistant. My Spanish is getting better however, not fluent at this time.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Hi all, new to the site so be gentle LOL
I am a social service worker currently employed in the addiction field. I am engaged to a Dominican and will be moving there in the near future. So, my question is "are there job openings in this field?" I have also worked with children with learning disabilities, and have been a real estate assistant. My Spanish is getting better however, not fluent at this time.
Thanks for your help.

Perhaps you should quickly edit that to avoid reference to new-ness. Some of the members like to eat newbies alive. Buena suerte in whatever you wind up doing.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Perhaps you should quickly edit that to avoid reference to new-ness. Some of the members like to eat newbies alive. Buena suerte in whatever you wind up doing.

I think we could tell by the number of posts anyway that this person is new to the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also think that your statement is unfair! The only "newbies" that get eaten alive are the ones that come on DR1 thinking they know it all, start trash-talking, disrespect other members that are trying to help them, or just don't follow the rules of posting!

Now you may have possibly scared away a new member that had a valid question and may have become a valuable contributor!!!!!!:eek:gre:

Marlie

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I also think that your statement is unfair! The only "newbies" that get eaten alive are the ones that come on DR1 thinking they know it all, start trash-talking, disrespect other members that are trying to help them, or just don't follow the rules of posting!

OOOlalalala. Sorry if I overstepped the accepted bounds of disrespect. Come on! Considering some of the responses that come from some members . . . I don't believe a little fun poking was out of order. And surely the new poster is simply waiting for an informed response, I can't help the OP -- can you.

Perhaps ybonabeach this would better be posted on the LIVING forum, or somehwere up there.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
LOL not a big deal

Poking a little fun is always acceptable. I don't scare easily!!! Actually, have been enjoying reading some of the replies on other threads.

I have also posted in "Living/Employment" however, have not received any advise. Yes I know that I must be patient for some answers :)

Love this site though!!! And someday will be a contributing memeber to the country that has captured my heart.

Yvonne

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
While there should be a lot of work in your field - there isn't. And what there is will pay a subsistence amount! We are sadly behind in both providing service and in realizing there value to society.

You will have much more luck in the Real Estate field or in tourism. Your options open up as soon as you get your residencia as well. Good luck. What part of the country will you be moving to?

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks planer. I figured Real Estate or TOurism would be better bets, however, would love to open two addiction treatment centres in the D R. One for the rich from over seas, the other free for Dominicans. Any thoughts on that?
I'll most likely move to the North Coast, since I know a few people there.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
ybonabeach, Welcome to DR1. We moved your thread to employment as currently it fits best here.

I'm with Planner. There is not much in your field. It would be a thing to think about though to start something. You would need to have deep marketing pockets and be able to interface with referring organizations perhaps in Canada and the US?

....I can't help the OP --
Then it is better to say nothing. ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't scare easily!!! Yvonne

Course you don't :), ybonabeach, you work in the addiction field, one of the toughest forms of social work, in my humble opinion. One of the best known facilities in the DR is Hogar CREA, a voluntary organisation which gets some funds from the Government but never enough. They run on the therapeutic community model, where recovered addicts help existing addicts in the residential setting. And, as I'm sure you're aware no-one is harder on addicts than recovered addicts - they know all the excuses and the bs because they used to use it themselves when they were recovering. There is a Hogar CREA in Puerto Plata - sometimes you meet the staff i.e. recovered addicts in the car parks of the supermarkets when they're on a funds collection. I don't know that they would have a job for you, but I have a LOT of respect for the work they do (I used to work with addicts in UK via the criminal justice system 40+ years ago & I used to try to get them admitted to the nearby therapeutic community we had in the area). I would certainly think it would be worthwhile you visiting the facility (don't expect it to compare with those of your homeland - they are permanently underfunded) and if you had some spare time they might welcome you as a volunteer because you have the experience & are able to communicate enough in Spanish. Email, tel. no., address etc here:
Hogar CREA Dominicano, Inc.

Information about the organisation here:
Hogar CREA Dominicano, Inc.

If you're thinking of setting up a facility you would need to draw on their experience - they've been running since 1975. It is only recently, however, that the need for organisations such as this has escalated in the DR & they just don't have enough locations/homes to meet the growing need.

I think if you make contact with the local branch then you can ask for suggestions as to whom you should speak in SD at their HQ. Good luck to you - you'll be doing something really useful. :)

As you may know Hogares Crea is an international organisation founded in Puerto Rico in 1968 so you might want to read up on that aspect in English - I'm sure you'll find something on the web.

Last edited:

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Lambada:
You are so right, former addicts know all the tricks:) Underfunding is always an issue even here in Canada. The facility I currently work for, is funded by the provincial government, however the need here is great from more bed availability and the government just doesn't spend the money on addiction. The waiting list to get into a facility is anywhere from 3 months to 2 years!!!
Thank you so much for the information. I will definately be contacting them and will plan a visit when I'm back in March.

Chris,
Thanks for moving the thread :) such a newbie, doesn't know where to put things LOL,
I realize that deep pockets may be needed, and will probably start approaching the companies in the D R for donations as well as here in Canada. I have good contacts here and hope to develop them in the D.R.
If anyone has some contacts they think I should speak with, PLEASE pass them on.
When I'm living there permanently I want to give back to the community. The Dominican captured my heart the first time I came for a holiday.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Funglode

Hey Yvonne,

Welcome to the forum. You might want to call FUNGLODE and see if there are any opportunities there. This organization brainstorms and analyzes ideas and potential projects for the country; they concentrate on different fields such as environment, tourism, culture, society, business...just about anything. Perhaps you can give workshops or work w/ like minded people to possibly come up with programs (maybe even on a national level) and get the type of funding you need. Here's the site:

Fundaci?n Global Democracia y Desarrollo

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I LOVE this site!!!!

Thank you,CarpeDream, so much for that link. I will definately contact them and perhaps get the ball rolling for some social services

Yvonne

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
You're Welcome! I'm glad you liked it. They have a lot of good hearted ppl working there...very willing to make a big impact in different ways. Many people there speak english so don't be afraid to ask.

By the way, where in the DR are you moving to?

Good luck!

Last edited:

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I'll be settling on the North Coast to start, then we'll look at the options for buying a home, jobs etc.... and of course doing all the paperwork takes forever....oh well, just part of life!!
Have a great day

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Hmmm...well that would be a bit tough since FUNGLODE is in the capital. But maybe they have a chapter there or would be able to help you in some way.

By the way, I've never been to Puerto Plata but make sure to visit Samana... great place. And Cayo Arena / Cayo Paraiso near Monte Cristi.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I have a funny feeling that if I want to do anything in the social services field I may be limited to the Capital. However, that is not out of the question, that's for sure.I'm more than willing to go where the work is. Absolutely nothing is written in stone, and we are both up for the challenge.
I'll be in the RD end of march and Samana is one of the places we will be going for a little r&r. (well maybe some work/business hunting too)

I've had some great help on this forum and some day I hope to be able to give back.

Yvonne