AMET - Some credit!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You have to give them credit, especially in Santo Domingo. They are on every corner, the traffic is flowing, they are writing tickets and not taking BS from anyone.

I have no idea what it's costing to put all these cops on the street or how long it will last, but they appear to be making an impact.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
As soon as people stop making the wrong things to get the tickets, they'll start to decrease and decrease...

But knowing the DR as I do, it may take for Hell to freeze over or cool at least, to have Dominicans comply with traffic Laws...
I think we're born with a defective gene that carries the driver's Ed traits...
872334-AMET_COP_2-Dominican_Republic.jpg

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In my opinion AMET does a fantastic job of keeping the traffic flowing. If they had these guys in NYC you might be able to actually get somewhere in a car.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
with my experience, whenever there is a huge traffic buildup in a major street intersection, thats because there is always an amet directing traffic. Why direct traffic in intersections where the traffic lights are working perfectly fine? maybe they are more productive in SD but not in santiago.
AZB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I found traffic moved really well when I went through both Santo Domingo and Santiago recently, thanks to the AMET.

Here in Puerto Plata we need some help. The lights are often out at major intersections and the AMET are near the corner handing out tickets rather then directing traffic. It is a recipe for disaster! The risks drivers take trying to get through these intersections are unbelievable. IT is not wonder there are so many accidents!

Robert - send us some of your AMET from SD please.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
I agree with AZB, at least in the "central polygon" it always happens to me too. It is funny that, while directing trafic they are wery strict but when they are resting a few meters away, a lot of people, especially with motorcycles, keep passing with the red light!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Who is the jefe in charge of AMET, and what's his background?

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
I must say that AMET was wery good when they start about ten years ago, the director was Hamlet Hermann and in those years you could really see a difference, most people was actually respecting the red lights, bus lane etc.
As usual, the good guy was fired as soon as possible, you can't do things too well when the others are not......

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Try this:

During Amet activity hours, drive 27 eastwards, then attempt a left turn at Tiradentes into Naco. My record waiting time at this turn is 35 minutes

Not saying its Amets' fault, but I wonder how much worse it would be if they let the traffic signage do its job.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
A Big Help

For high season there are a couple of AMET guys at the POP airport that have
made a big difference because the Politur men and women have no authority. They tow your car if parked illegally, they write tickets, they move traffic. Thank you, AMET. Otherwise all the people want to park "right in front". And there is a big new parking lot at POP which seems to be helping while the other new parking is finished. 'pa lante que vamos.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Who is the jefe in charge of AMET, and what's his background?

General Lic. Latif Miguel Mahfoud Rodr?guez who replaced the previous jefe last August.
Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte Terrestre - AMET

Has anyone noticed that the very tall (about 6ft. 5ins) AMET officer in Puerto Plata seems to have been moved on? I haven't seen him for ages. Had a habit of using his pistol to thump people across the head, although I've never seen him fire it. No gentle giant this one, so other areas, watch out! :ermm:

Sashy

Jan 16, 2008
General Lic. Latif Miguel Mahfoud Rodr?guez who replaced the previous jefe last August.
Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte Terrestre - AMET

Has anyone noticed that the very tall (about 6ft. 5ins) AMET officer in Puerto Plata seems to have been moved on? I haven't seen him for ages. Had a habit of using his pistol to thump people across the head, although I've never seen him fire it. No gentle giant this one, so other areas, watch out! :ermm:[/QUOTE

Saw him last Tuesday at the market, buying 1 second hand shirt.