movies in DR

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
hello!

why do hollywood movies arrive in SD very very late? is it because that dominicans are not a movie fanatics and they prefer to dance merengue or bachata in a colmado? and this is what i noticed. renting dvds (120RD$) is as expensive as going to the cinema (100 - 150RD$ depending on what day).

Feb 7, 2007
I wouldn't say movie tickets are expensive in the DR. In Europe a movie ticket costs you 6 to 8 Euros, in Central Europe about 5 to 6 Euros depending on the place. 2 to 3 Euros for the DR is not evry expensive.

Now, the DVD rentals - nobody does them. Maybe teh only ones are the pirates. You (people) buy the DVDs on the street.

Also the attandance is not high because of total price and the price elsewhere (read=street). It is usually because when the movie is in the DR theatres, it has already been in the theatres in the USA and most likely, already was published on DVD in North America or Europe.

Now, there are the sites like torrents etc and there is a flourishing business in the DR off pirated DVD and CDs. The wholesalers download and copy these movies from NA and sell them for about 30 pesos to street guys, who in turn sell them for 60-80 pesos (depending on how many intermediaries and profit sharing by others is involved).

So why would anyone pay 120 for DVD rental, or 300 pesos for a theater ticket (for a couple) when they can pay 60 pesos and watch the same movie at home. For the money they save, they buy chips, soda, chimis, and other stuff to enjoy during the movie and still they pay less. Very few people go to theatres just for the sake of "theatre experience".

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
well, i do rent the movie for 120 pesos in moviemax. i dont know where to find those pirated movies.

and the question is why movies here arrive so late? i.e "I am legend, etc" is already shown worldwide and why it isnt shown here yet? is it because the yola hasnt reach puerto rico to get those films? (JK)

Feb 7, 2007
Just watch for the street guys with backpacks.

The fixed points are also along Ave Duarte and on Mella in front of La Sirena.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think DVD rentals are overpriced especially if it's just for one person to watch. If there are two or three of you it works out cheaper than the cinema. I have officially given up on going to the cinema. As well as expensive, it's too damn cold, and it's become almost impossible to enjoy a film with all the chattering, moving about and cellphones ringing.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
yeah, but be careful when buying the pirated copies on the streets ...I just bought "I Am Legend" when in Cabarete for about $3 ...I've seen guys selling them all over, in Santiago, etc, but had never bought one before ...the copy I got wasn't just a burned copy ...clearly it was someone videotaping the film from inside the theatre where they were watching it ...horrible quality.

Sashy

Jan 16, 2008
Going to the Movies

hello!

why do hollywood movies arrive in SD very very late? is it because that dominicans are not a movie fanatics and they prefer to dance merengue or bachata in a colmado? and this is what i noticed. renting dvds (120RD$) is as expensive as going to the cinema (100 - 150RD$ depending on what day).

The last time I went to the 'Movies' was to see " Anne of a thousand days" That must be 37+ years ago