Camera Stores

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Are there any locations (particularly in SD area) that sell good quality (and have a variety) of Nikon mount lenses or other photographic equipment and accessories?

And how about camera repair stores?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You might want to consider buying lenses via the internet. You will have a better selection and if you do a google search for what you are looking for, you will find good prices. I have bought several lenses this way. Shipping cost by EPS or one of the others is not high because lenses are light weight.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I would only be worried that everything wouldn't arrive as it should..

Do you have to pay extra duties or import taxes?

Thanks for the reply! :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Alicious, I have been using EPS and, for a time, Banker Trust (Sosua). I have not experienced any delivery problems in the 20+ years I have been using these services. I have almost never asked to pay any customs charges, but then I don't buy really expensive things. Supposedly there is no duty on orders under US$200, and that has been my experience. Basically my camera is point and shoot (Canon Powershot A620), but I am able to use lenses with it. The extra lenses that I have were all purchased on the internet and shipped to me here. Lenses are light so shipping costs not that high. My feeling is that by ordering online from one of the competitive sources I can get exactly what I want in terms of price and quality and not have to accept whatever the camera store has, and probably save a significant amount of money.

I just bought a good quality, respected name brand circular polarizer at a very good price from a dealer in Hong Kong that I learned about from the message board of a camera related website. It was sent to my US mailing address given me by EPS and then shipped here. It arrived quickly and price was great compared to what others were selling it for, as evidenced by what I learned from doing a google search for that particular lens.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I 150% concurr, they will rape you here buying eloctronic gadgets. Buying online and paying the duties and shipping will still come out lower than buying it here. They have a massive markup here and figure that 99% of their clients can't get it anywhere else. There are no other people better at manipulating a market than Dominicans.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I 150% concurr, they will rape you here buying eloctronic gadgets. Buying online and paying the duties and shipping will still come out lower than buying it here. They have a massive markup here and figure that 99% of their clients can't get it anywhere else. There are no other people better at manipulating a market than Dominicans.

Besides that, a lot of the stuff they sell here are seconds.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Kemil's Camera in the same complex as Trio Bar and Mi Taverna, Lincoln with Lope de Vega, Naco is a great place for repairs. They also sell second-hand equipment.