Questions About Bicycle Rental in Sosua and Little Leage in POP

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My sister with her husband and her son with his family are coming for a 2-week visit in April.

1. At least some of them are avid bike riders. Where in the greater Sosua area can bikes be rented? Does the rental include helmet? Are there good place to ride bikes? They like to ride for distances, not just around town.

2. The younger boys in the group play Little League Baseball in the US. Last year they played against a team from Puerto Plata. They are wondering if they will be able to see a Little League game in Puerto Plata during their stay. Doea anyone have information on Little League activity in Puerto Plata?

Sashy

Jan 16, 2008
Helmets!!!!!

My sister with her husband and her son with his family are coming for a 2-week visit in April.

1. At least some of them are avid bike riders. Where in the greater Sosua area can bikes be rented? Does the rental include helmet? Are there good place to ride bikes? They like to ride for distances, not just around town.

2. The younger boys in the group play Little League Baseball in the US. Last year they played against a team from Puerto Plata. They are wondering if they will be able to see a Little League game in Puerto Plata during their stay. Doea anyone have information on Little League activity in Puerto Plata?

British Forces - churchill_tank

Tank rental would be safer. I would not ride a bicycle here!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Ken,

1. In view of your long term tenure on this site . . . I wonder at the question. Bicycle riding (in most of the DR) is not for the tame and weak of heart. Do you really think they'd be advised to renat-a-bike?

2. Is there such a thing as little league? I thought they just played ball.

X. Sashy . . . I really like the image of the tank.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Ken, I know someone whose young son plays in a baseball league in Puerto Plata. The kids went to the US this summer, so that might be the group to which you refer.

I wll be back in Puerto Plata on Tuesday afternoon and will check with my contact Wednesday if you haven't gotten the information yet.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003

Ken,

Since no one has answered about the bike riding yet, I'll throw this out for consideration. ASSUMING that the riders are old enough, and they can get to the area safely, a ride along the length of El Choco would be a great trip to see some of the country and get a great ride as well. There are some hills and some of the roadway is unpaved (at least the last time I was there), but mountain bikes would easily make the trek if the riders are used to that type of terrain. Maybe someone could drop them off at the starting point of the road and then pick them up at the colmado at the end by the highway. That way they would not have to ride on the highway or backtrack. Just a thought.

bob

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
On Saturday morning across from Casa Marina Reef in Sosua little league games are played.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks to all who responded. La Profe, I would be interested in knowing if they are playing in April

I know and they know that bike riding on the highway is suicide. Thanks for suggestion, Bob. It is a good one. I'm sure arrangements could be made to get them to the starting point. They are serious bike riders and can handle the terrain and the distance.

But where can bikes be rented?

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
But where can bikes be rented?

I don't know if you can rent bikes in Sosua. As Tamborista suggested, Iguana Mama in Cabarete might the closest place and they have good equipment. They offer guided tours and I think that El Choco might be one of their standard routes. It is a good place to start gathering information. Good luck.

bob

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
They are serious bike riders and can handle the terrain and the distance.

Just had another thought. If they want a more rugged ride, they can take the La Bombita trail that eventually merges with El Choco. It is more "unpaved trail" for the first half of the route. Again, Iguana Mama should be able to give you more information on this.

bob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are probably right about Iguana Mama. There used to be a place in Sosua that rented bikes but it closed and I have not heard about anything taking its place.

Thanks for the input, all.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
At the field across from Casa Marina Reef they only play softball. I do not know if this matters, but they might want hardball.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
SKY, not sure about that, or maybe just want to watch Dominicans play ball. I know about the games in the school field, but don't remember if they are still going on in April when they come for their visit.