Linguistic immersion in Santo Domingo

mademoizaile

Jan 9, 2008
Hi everybody!

I'm planning a linguistic immersion in RD (Santo Domingo, precisely) in June 08, and my various readings brought up a few unanswered questions... I've been an avid reader on this forum since I came back from my first DR trip a few weeks ago and I thought maybe you could answer me! Here it goes...

The IIC (instituto intercultural del Caribe) was mentionned quite a few times as the one and only place to do business with... anybody ever heard of them or did business with them? Are they really reliable?
Moreover, I gotta choose between living in a "middle class" (says the companies) dominican family or on my own in "Residence-city"... now while this is more of a personnal preference, I was mainly concern by safety... being sheltered by a local family sounds appealing, but it isn't risk-free. As for being on my own... well, again: security concerns, since it looks like I'm going alone. I've tried to plan my trip through agencies, but has anybody ever did something similar on his/her own?

Any feedback regarding the project will be appreciated, really!
(But I've already heard the "you're crazy, go somewhere safer" by family and friends! ;):glasses:)

Mademoizaile Jo

Feb 7, 2007
I don't know much about linguistic companies, but I will answer your question family vs campus.

If you stay in the family, you can usually communicate more, get to know the culture better, get to see the "real" life in the DR. As far as safety, the family usually makes it clear to the neighbors and barrio people that you are "with them" so nothing bad should happen to you. Also, with that, lots of people will have a watch over you, and should something be happening are more likely to step in. That is, if the family is a good and friendly one and accepts you as one of their own. Your chances are more on the positive side on this.

On the campus on the other hand, you will miss all of that, including the "safety" issue.

Disclaimer: This advice comes with waiver of all and any responsibility of any kind whatsoever on the part of the advisor.

P.S. In the DR you will be as safe as in any other latin american country, including Mexico, Argentina, etc. Just subscribe to the common sense when moving around. Do not display cash, expensive jewelry, credit cards, etc. Fly under the radar.