List of cheap things to do and places to eat in santiago

carainez

Jan 19, 2008
Hello

I will be visiting Santiago Feb. 21-25 2008. I am a student from the Commonwealth of Dominica and don't have lots of money for the expensive things. If anyone could post a list of:
  1. seafood, Dominican and Asian places to eat
  2. places to visit with small fees
  3. nightclubs
  4. place to buy leather handbag, shoes

thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if you want seafood, then be prepared to spend a bit of money because its not cheap here. Marisco center near monumento is a good place to eat, but it will cost you. The shrimps dishes in DR are basically made form frozen american precooked shrimps from a bag, the fish is from dominican republic. You can eat in ahibar (great steak with mushroom sauce). You can eat buffet in hotel gran almirante for 275 pesos, all you can eat in certain days of the week. call there to find out what day they serve what food.
late night, you can eat in carrito de marchena, they have good mondongo and sandwiches there.
Excellent sandwich place = campana on juan pablo duarte.

For free places to visit, go to monumento in late afternoon to get some air and have a nice view of santiago city. For a small fee, you can go to centro leon and spend the whole afternoon there and the cafeteria serves good sandwiches for reasonable price.

For entertainment: go to ahibar in monumento area, then head over to kartuja, if you are young, go to dolce. Note, these places are good from friday till sunday. Weekdays, santiago looks more like deserted streets of baghdad.

leather bags shoes???????????? I assume you are a women. I will leave this for women to decide where is a good place to shop. You want cheap items, go to calle del sol. Its sort of like your canal street.
have fun.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hello

I will be visiting Santiago Feb. 21-25 2008. I am a student from the Commonwealth of Dominica and don't have lots of money for the expensive things. If anyone could post a list of:
  1. seafood, Dominican and Asian places to eat
  2. places to visit with small fees
  3. nightclubs
  4. place to buy leather handbag, shoes

thanks

Seafood - only one place - "La Bahia" near the Ferreteria Ochoa on Ave. 27. Forgot Mariscos Centro(sorry AZB) I have eaten there and the food was cold and horrible and worst expensive. At La Bahia, you can get a bowl of soup, a whole fish at 1.5 lbs, rice and beans or fritos, and a beer for RD 240 with tax.

Dominican food - A nice place that has good criolla food and is economical is a small restaurant located near the monument and opposite the stret of Marisco Centro.

Asian food - there is a place called "Pica Pollo Tony" located on ave. 27 just past the Leon Jimenez on the right side. The owners and cooks are all chinese and it is the same stuff we eat back home in the States. It is quite good for Asian restaurant food(I should know, an ex-fiancee was Chinese) and economical. They do have delivery.

Places to vist - Leon Jimenez museum. They have lots of exhibits and acivities in the evening. they are located on Ave. 27 on the East side of town.

Nightclubs - sorry don't know.

Leather goods - go downtown to the Calle Del Sol and there are shops of every kind.

good luck

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
'Yo, Chip, I'm getting for Santiago on Feb, 23. If want to down a few frias (on me),
let me know via PM. I plan to go whale watching to Samana, any info on this is very well welcome.

Gracias,

Zeus (guzziling down beer).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
'Yo, Chip, I'm getting for Santiago on Feb, 23. If want to down a few frias (on me),
let me know via PM. I plan to go whale watching to Samana, any info on this is very well welcome.

Gracias,

Zeus (guzziling down beer).

I'm up for it. Just pm me the day before remind me.

As far as whaling, I don't know but remeber seeing a thread about it in the last year or so.

good luck

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Whale waatching in Samana canbe done on several different vessels, the most prominent being Kims located across from the govt dock on the Malecon.
I can?t remember the rates, 30US per half day I think. Smaller baots also run out to the whales and can be less expensive.