I am looking for someone interested in DR history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas55

Jan 14, 2007
Hello,
I am looking for someone in the DR who can help me identify some photographs taken by a US Marine in the DR in 1919. I have researched these pictures as much as I can from here (Colorado). This is not one of those scams we seem to always be getting in email and it will not cost whoever ends up helping me a cent. I may end up writing a book around the photos but am not sure at this point.
The photos are all original, I have the negatives. I am hoping that I can find some one to ID streets, polititions, docks, and buildings as they looked in 1919. Ideally I'd like to find a college student studying history. To show a typical photo I've attached one below.

Thank-you Thomas55

inalltheway05@yahoo.com

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There's a Professor of History who posts on this board called Hillbilly. He has been here a long time (although not as long as 1919 ;) ). Might be worth contacting him via PM?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
l_80ca7edb679be8bd751364c1171ed767.jpg

l_db97c87de37672b800065243a5205263.jpg

l_bc83b28e7c7566bdd0dd0429af92faa1.jpg

l_acb3a523d457bc05cf469cc51322f08d.gif

l_0f56b689288ca1527fde1cc379ac1608.jpg

l_2640714703b3d747eb7bf04721288eb8.jpg

l_c700988d92109c921e5a7b4171f6363f.jpg

l_004395c77e4faa199354ad17033a850a.jpg

l_ebd95f172760d0ad1170348d34503cc0.jpg

l_a2902ec468e1317f90466582f2d23d5d.jpg

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i may be able to check military records here at the National Archives. give me a few days. i can also put you in touch with an archivist of military records and you can do a formal reference request....

pm me....

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Interesting images PICHARDO. Where are they from? Now I'm more interested in the history of the DR. Thanks! I saw one of them on a Dominican blog. The man with clenched fists and the marine.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Fantastic photos

Truly very interesting photos Pichardo thank you so much, I wish I had seen them before Thursday. I had the very great pleasure of meeting a lovely lady with her family, at my complex who had come back to the DR after many years for a visit. She told me many stories of the difficult Trujillo years. She grew up with the Mirabel sisters and went to the same college, she told me that the biggest % of students were kids from American diplomats who were here supporting Trujillo. She also told me how his assassination was planned and that a group from Moca carried it out, knowing his habitual route from San Crisobal to SD with only a chauffeur. I could have listened to her for hours. It was truly very interesting and more informative than any movie or book. I was sad to see her leave, but I am still in touch with her should the op want me to pass his photos on to her to see if she can help. Her father was wealthy enough to be able to send her and her sisters to college in the USA to get them away. I will also forward your photos to her. Again thanks

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Very interesting images

Interesting images PICHARDO. Where are they from? Now I'm more interested in the history of the DR. Thanks! I saw one of them on a Dominican blog. The man with clenched fists and the marine.

Background? Context?

Sollie

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I know the OP wanted pictures from 1919....but could not help myself here are some more pictures of the 1965 Dominican revolution and subsequent American invasion. For me as a Dominican one of the more important periods of Dominican history....its too bad the ideals were truncated.

16i7inl.jpg

Caama?o y el Presidente Bosch

hrhhu0.jpg

Guerrillero Constitucionalista
evadiendo fuego enemigo

xdfa1j.jpg

"Marines" moviliz?ndose por helic?ptero
1zgruok.jpg

"Marines" norteamericanos apertrechados
frente al hotel Embajador

efs6k7.jpg

Primera plana: 82 Aerotransportada
invade Santo Domingo

Hey PICHARDO you have no monopoly on this:cheeky:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Picardo and Hidalgo you would be right, and Picardo your info in this previous thread is backed by what this lady told me. http://www.dr1.com/forums/dr-debates/69335-who-really-kill-trujillo-5.html. It looks like Tallman saying the CIA arranged the plot was not correct according to her. The Americans backed Trujillo as these photos seem to prove after his assassination. It must have been a dreadul time for the people of the Dominican Republic. This lady is travelling in the DR still, I could try to email her daughter to see if she will meet with us in Moca, Im sure she would be pleased to meet you. She has much to say about her and family, friends dreadful experiences at that time.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The Americans backed Trujillo as these photos seem to prove after his assassination.

A short and simplified history. The Americans backed Trujillo until about the late 1950's. After her was implicated in a bombing attempt on the life of President Betancourt of Venezuela and with the disappearance (kidnapping) of writer, diplomat, professor Jesus de Galindez his luck started to run out.

In 1962 Juan Bosch had won the presidency in sweeping fashion. His administration was one of a progressive nature which some categorize as leftist. Not me. A coup removed Juan Bosch after only 7 months in power by conservative forces.

Fast forward to 1965 were a group of leaders headed by Colonel Francisco Caama?o tried to bring back President Juan Bosch. They were known as the Constitutionalist, as they believed and rightly so, that he was elected democratically.

What spoked :paranoid:the Americans into invading in 1965 had nothing to do with support for Trujillo, but had everything to do with what they perceived as leftist programs by President Bosch. Keep in mind that these events were taking place in the background of the triumphant march of Castro to Havana some years before. It was a time when anything that smelled leftist by Washington was considered Communist.

Hope this helps.....and I see we are way off topic.

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Didn't that photo win some kind of award? I looked up the Pulitzers for that year but it wasn't featured. Maybe it appeared in LIFE magazine?

The history behind that emotionally charged picture as witnessed by the photographer at the time is as follows:

An US soldier was rounding up civilians that were standing by the sidewalks as they watched the jeep convoy come to a halt, because Dominicans were using large debris to block the streets so they could have ample time to withdraw from the immediate area to avoid contact (engagement) with the US troops.

As the US soldier directed the bystander civilian to clear the street of debris, he refused and made it clear that "no foreigner would give order to him on his soil", the US soldier made the motion of using his rifle to hit him if he didn't comply as ordered, he clenched his fists and soon picked two stones from the gutter and warned the soldier that "should he charge him", he would hit him with them even if it meant that he got shot while at it...

The US soldier backed down after he saw the man's determination and instead cleared to road from debris himself...

Dominican constitucionalistas, often used those same tactics to buy time should a search patrol of US soldiers come close to their area of operations.
The US used to beef up patrols later with the addition of a tank, since patrols came under sniper fire with many casualties to follow.

Many US deaths were not reported, but the bodies were packed into body bags filled with ice and shipped to join casualties from Vietnam. As the US was under heavy pressure to pull out from Vietnam, another body count was the last thing it needs to report to the American people.

Most US newspapers and population was against the Dominican intervention at the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.