Bringing new stuff from Canada for our new house

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
We are flying down to Puerto Plata from Canada and then going to spend some time in our house in Sosua. We plan on bringing some items with us in our luggage to stock the new house. Things like towels, sheets, toaster, radios and other things we might be able to fit into our luggage allowance. I have read on some old links that this might be a problem. I was wondering if it made any difference considering all of the stuff was for our own house, what things might be bigger problems and any suggestions about what to bring. Most of the old links I've read mention bribing the customs guys but we are new to this and the idea makes us nervous. Thanks!

J

John Evans

i believe its only usually a problem if the stuff is new and in its box or wrapping

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
The stuff will be new but we will probably take it out of its boxes and wrappers. The sheets and towels will be washed first so maybe that will help a bit.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OK... not to... ah ah ah, tell you to do anything not legal.

My wife travels to the US and Europe a lot and comes back with an "extra" bag that has been checked. Nothing in the original store package.

In 12 years, she has never been stopped at POP. They have stopped me... only a couple of times but never have had to open my bags.

She dresses as an average tourist: Jeans and blouse, nothing fancy put respectable. Acts like a confused and frustrated person that does not speak spanish. Do not look them in the eyes, focas out to exit and walk right past them. If someone asks... "What?, I don't understand". Keep walking.

Sometimes, a non inspector person.... will try to push you to a an inspector, have a US $5 ready and "show" it to him. He takes it or he does not. I/we have NEVER done this with the real inspector, I let them "ask" for... ah ah ah... bonus.

Worse case... you have your bags inspected and you pay "a fine". No big deal in POP for house/personal stuff. (I must assume that all items are legal and have pasted inspection in your home Country.)

What type of disclaimer do I put on this???? Each on own.

Regards, Ringo

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Bring it! Have a wad of nice bills ready ($1) about 10 bucks will do. As you said, remove all from original boxes and wrappers, place smartly wrapped in the towels and dispersed in the bag...

You won't have any problems as always keeping your foreigner's passport in your hand, as to use it as some badge of sorts: Me no Spanish!!!

Don't worry!!!!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
We are flying down to Puerto Plata from Canada and then going to spend some time in our house in Sosua. We plan on bringing some items with us in our luggage to stock the new house. Things like towels, sheets, toaster, radios and other things we might be able to fit into our luggage allowance. I have read on some old links that this might be a problem. I was wondering if it made any difference considering all of the stuff was for our own house, what things might be bigger problems and any suggestions about what to bring. Most of the old links I've read mention bribing the customs guys but we are new to this and the idea makes us nervous. Thanks!

No problem bringing stuff in. I've been doing it for 23 years. If you have the option, upgrade to "Club". You get to bring on double your baggage weight limit. A lot cheaper than paying 5$ a K. Plus you get a decent meal and some free booze while travelling.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Thanks for the advice everyone! We will travel with quieter nerves on the way down now. This will be our first chance to really explore Sosua thoroughly and will definitely be stopping by to visit Eddy's and Rocky's places as well as as many of the other bars and restaurants we can manage in a week and a half. Eddy, you will probably be seeing a lot of our friend Phil as he will down there a few days earlier than us and is a big sports fan. He will be hoping to get his hockey fix in. We will tell him to say hi from us (Graham and Sheila Baker) and to ask your advice on where to go and what to do with his time.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the advice everyone! We will travel with quieter nerves on the way down now. This will be our first chance to really explore Sosua thoroughly and will definitely be stopping by to visit Eddy's and Rocky's places as well as as many of the other bars and restaurants we can manage in a week and a half. Eddy, you will probably be seeing a lot of our friend Phil as he will down there a few days earlier than us and is a big sports fan. He will be hoping to get his hockey fix in. We will tell him to say hi from us (Graham and Sheila Baker) and to ask your advice on where to go and what to do with his time.

The bar is still called Eddy's but i have nothing to do with it. I did bring down a receiver so they can get the hockey games. Your friends just might find me there, for the Montreal games at least. Hope we can meet up during your vacation.