Was wondering about ....

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
The recent historical photos posted by Pichardo and A. Hildago on another thread. I have only recently become aware of US military involvement in the RD, ( two times I believe ) and was wondering what the opinion of the general population was at the time regarding these occupations. What are the impressions today? Invasion or intervention? For good or bad? Any first hand accounts most appreciated.

Sollie

Last edited:

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Thank you Chirimoya,

No intention of beating a dead horse and found your link most satisfying. Thank you.

Sollie

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
From 1964 to 1967 my father was assigned to Brazil. His assignment was to continue the relations and training from the US to Brazil with the original intent of the Brazilians to invaid the Dominican Republic... in full force. The intent was that the US NEVER be involved, but... would stand-by and "support" if/as needed.

The fear of the USSR spreading over to the DR from Cuba in the early 60s was a big concern and very possible in the eyes of Washington. For the US to do a full force invasion most likely would have ended the cold war and the end of life as we know it.

Even after El Jefe' was killed, the instability of the DR was of utmost concern. In 1965, the US had a large fleet in Rio harbor in as part of the "training"; it was fully armed. The Brazilian military, fully trained and armed, waiting for "direction".

Ringo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chiri,

Just raising another old thread of yours that was interesting. Can we buy that movie here now on CD http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/36186-trujillo-assassinated-friday-night-6.html ? Thanks Im so glad we have these interesting threads on the history of this beautiful country. Is your car still going strong?
The Feast of the Goat has been available on DVD for purchase and rental for some time now, yes.
We sold the car a couple of years ago and hope its current owner is giving it the care it deserves.