Communication Infrastructure

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
To those of you who may be interested, the DR will have at least 1 provider carrying full OC 192, HDTV and FO Tele-coms in one package soon...
It takes a while to lay down a nationwide trunk, that's the ongoing work you may see ripping the asphalt up by your town nowadays...
Copper trunk has been given a TOS in the DR...

The bad: One more monopoly for a while and quality of service to smash the phone about... until a new space invader takes the plunge in the market.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How long is soon? Santo Domingo, Santiago etc?

OC192, I could download a lot of movies on that 9.6GB pipe :)

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
It's going to be #1 oriented towards the servers that now carry the next income to the DR coffers: On line betting...

Slim is bailing out of Codetel as we know it; he just buys big monopolies and strips to bare bones for maximum profit, and then sells the shell to bidders. Think Comp USA of sorts...

2 actual players, 5 (2 US 2 Can and 1 Fr) Foreign firms.

Like I said Copper is not longer being deployed in the field or augmented... It has gotten a TOS dateline already...

Metro cities will enjoy the bulk of links, but rural areas will have the first on-line to clear the bugs out before a full roll out...

I guess the current rates that consumers pay for those services got noticed quite well by big name foreign corporations...

Heck! We pay more than many countries for all services that we need and some we don't really get 50% use of most of the time...

I'm not at liberty to provide any further data on the players/company for IPO reasons...

Let's just say we ALL know them quite well in the DR already...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
More specific:

Industrial zones #1, including the Cyber Park.

Santiago last, DN second, rural first (test period).

So far what I can say (type): Already a deal is on final stages with major cable, premium and PPV providers of being reached. Most channels will switch to on-line broadcasting keeping the operators (cable services) as middle men always (will use their link to deliver data).

Music labels are also in the mix, to license their volumes so that it can be on request streamed and filed in the home entertainment environment at homes.

Pretty much a nice 32 and up LCD or HDTV will do just fine to hook up your PC and be the TV in the house at the same time. Go back to the MSN TV surfer box kind of thing. But this time much more expanded and upgraded with DRM very strongly enforced...

Consumers will be responsible for expenses to link from the street to home, saving companies a nice chunk on services...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
is it going to be a 1080p HDTV broadcast or a 720p? I hope it will not be like the sky TV, digital Tv with analog VHS quality.
AZB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I was told that 1080i was the intended format, but since 1080p is going to be the most common of both, maybe just maybe somebody gets smart and sets 1080p as the standard.

For the internet based contents is going to fall on 720p...
Local TV is going to still be just SDTV until they invest into HDTV and jump the canyon...

There's a bit of concern that the gov wants to tax a good slice of it, PPV and On Demand fees have not been ironed out as of yet with the providers.

They plan to offer the State some channel allocations to offset the local taxes and equal access to State owned property for equipment...

BTW: Have any of you heard if in fact HBO will be finally offering the contents in the web as press releases touted a few months ago? I have not been able to confirm it yet...