Budget hotel with two young kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ent

Jul 18, 2007
Hi,

we'll be in Puerto Plata with our two kids, aged 6 months and 4 years, for 3 nights at the end of March and are looking for a nice safe hotel. We like smaller hotels, not so much the all-inclusives. I've read through the threads must most of the kid-friendly discussions are about AIs and the budget discussions are for partiers.

We'd want a bit of beach time (not a lot) and it looks as though Sosua may be the best bet for that as it's not as windy as Cabarete - but are the winds so strong in Cabarete at that time of year? I also read about the strong currents on some beaches - would there be areas that would be okay/not okay to wade into the ocean with the kids? A hotel pool for ourselves and the 4 year old would be great. PP would be nice for the architecture but I've read the beach isn't great.

I'd also read the thread about the possibility of break-ins - I know it could happen anywhere but are there budget places that are less likely than others for this to happen, especially when we've got young kids?

Two places that looked interesting were Tropix (I've read the threads about their still being in business and it looks like the kind of place we'd like - just unsure about the break-in concern being all open and close to the main strip - maybe I just got paranoid by the thread I read and I'm less carefree now having young kids) - and also Casa Serena which seems nice and quiet and probably safe but perhaps a bit too far out of town.

I'm also guessing that the risk of getting a stomach bug would be less in the restaurants in town rather than in a mass market AI.

Any advice much appreciated!!!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
In my opinion the best budget hotels are outside POP, and best beaches are outside as well. A budget hotel in Puerta Plata, like the Indio, will cost 300rd per night. But although its fine for me, it is really local, a bit noisy, etc. It is close to the waterfront, and therefore POP?s beach. But towns like Rio San Juan, although farther from the airport, are much more tranquil, have inexpensive hotels, etc. IN RIO, try Bahia Blanca for 1000rd per night, Canadian owned. and right on the ocean.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Take a look at Home Page

Ask about the big cabana which has a room for a couple and an adjacent room for kids. Separate entrance but under one roof.

We were there last Feb and (although we didn't use the kids' room) it was just fine. Secluded. Quiet beach. About one hour and a half hours from PPO Airport. Good food and nice staff.

But what do you call budget?

ent

Jul 18, 2007
The hotels I was looking at were quoting 55-85 USD for their rooms. My wife and I love to backpack and hostel but we enjoy a bit of comfort as well. Budget for me is as low as can be had for clean, friendly and safe - character (real character, not Disney), gardens etc are all nice - we don't need bars, tv, discos etc. We'll happily pay over $100 for something very special but as we'll be travelling for quite some time we'd rather pay less and just get something nice and relaxing.

Thanks for both suggestions ... at first view that's the type of thing we'd like and will look more closely when the baby is more cooperative!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
The east side of the bay in Cabarete is fine for kids, the depth increases slowly there. There is a San su Chey (phonetic attempt, I'm sure someone else will correct the spelling!) at that end of town that is quite cheap. I stayed there once, it was 'okay'. In the middle of town on the right is the [something] del sol (I'm being so helpful here!) That's about $50 per night. Air-con worked ok and the pool is not bad but the wrong side of the street.

If being a walking distance to the beach isn't important, Las Canas would be the place I'd recommend. Classed as Sosua but too far out of town to walk. Shuttle bus in to town but to be honest, once you've seen the pool there, you'll be happy enough. Not wanting to run Judy's business for her but if you quote DR1 I'm sure she'd give you a good deal! Sosua : Dominican Republic Rentals : Condo For Rent

I've stayed in all three places over a period of time, Las Canas was the best in terms of environment and value for money. Clean & safe and the most fantastic free-form pool.

I own an apartment in Cabarete but if I was coming here and had the opportunity to rent mine out at the same time, I'd stay at Las Canas and take the rental money from mine (I stayed in the first two mentioned while my place was being built and Las Canas once when mine was rented out).

US$100 per night? If you don't get fixed up at your preferred budget and decide you'd like Cabarete, drop me a line, I'm sure I'd rather $300 for my apartment than three empty nights!
Royal Residence Cabarete

ent

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions ... we've booked Los Gringos ... looks just the thing for us! Hadn't thought of going further east before but far from the maddening crowds is what we like.

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Missing the pool :(

Hi guys,

Anything in the North Coast like Los Gringos with a pool? my daugther loves to swim and having a pool gives us a break to have her swimming in the water while we sit down to watch her and relax.

Help needed fast,,,, we are leaving for POP in few days.

Thanks

CB

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Kid friendly inexpensive hotel with POOL

Hotel Montesilva, very nice place, great people, clean and safe at about 25/30$ per night, with pool.

Address; Av. Luis Ginebra and Calle La Estancia, Tel:1-(809)320-0205

dmercado455

Feb 27, 2008
Budget Hotels with two kids

my husband swears by casa linda in sosua. does not have all inclusive but you can go to town (they have supermarket) and the beach during the day. casa linda has swimming pool. look it up casalinda.com, he preferred to be back in the resort before night fall.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
I stayed at the Hotel Waterfront with my daughter(age 8). It has a beautiful pool and calm beach(Playa Alicia) right in front. You can sit in a nice restaurant in front of the pool and look down at the beach. It was clean,quiet and off the noisy strip but close to everything. 10 minute walk to the main beach, 5 minutes to the supermarket etc. We paid 25 dollars for a double.

Status
Not open for further replies.