buying a cell phone for cousin's quince

dominiBella

Jan 16, 2008
I'm in NYC and need to buy a cell to send to D.R within the next week or two. What phone's are D.R. compatible? What do I need to look for? Will it matter if she'll be using pre-paid cards or a plan?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Any and all regular phones from the USA. Exceptions may be the iphone or a Helio. Other than that buy your cousin a nice Motorola RAZR ( CDMA or GSM ) and she will be very stylish. The younger girls like the pink ones.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
any unlocked triband or quadband GSM (including the iPhone) works in the DR with Orange service. Most locals have Orange so they will more than likely prefer this.

torochulo

Nov 14, 2006
Ok, the two main cell carriers in DR: Verizon & Orange. I won't confuse you with all the tech info, so basically it comes down to this: In NYC two of the most popular cell carriers: Verizon & T-Mobile. Obviously VerizonUS phones work on the VerizonDR service (they reprogram them there anyways). T-Mobile phones definitely work with Orange (they both use a sim chip, and the phone is also reprogrammed). I think some AT&T phones work with Orange too, but I have sent tons of both Verizon & T-Mobile phones to the DR & never had a problem. When your cousin goes to get it connected over there they will be "unlocked", or reprogrammed, by the place where it is activated. Most people in DR use cell phones by re-charging minutes (pre-paid). You see the vendors for the pre-paid cards @ all major intersections. I assume your cousin is going with the pre-paid system bc if she was getting on a plan, you prob wouldn't be sending her a phone (she'd get a substantial discount on a new cell for signing up for the contract, as we do in the states). Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
any unlocked triband or quadband GSM (including the iPhone) works in the DR with Orange service. Most locals have Orange so they will more than likely prefer this.

Please tell me the places on the North Coast with the technology to unlock the iphone. Orange in Sosua sends you to the place near the Tex/farmacia. He doen not have the tech..... If in POP please give me the address. I have a Helio Heat i need the activation code cracked on.

To the OP: If you buy a brand new phone in the box take it out of the original package before bringing it into the DR by person or mail. If by mail label it as used on the customs form and worth a third of what you paid. If you are bringing it in person carry it through customs like it is your own personal phone.