Merengue de Calle (Mambo)

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
For those of you that don't have a clue here's your chance to get one. Recently Acroarte, and the Cassandra's denied an appeal by some Dominican artists to include a new genre into the awards ceremony. The "genre" as it is claimed, is Merengue de Calle or Mambo. As was expected Mambo, and Dominican Rap (who was also vying for some form of recognition) was denied entry into the show. Some have said that this new sound emerging from the streets of Santo Domingo isn't music or that its just vulgar trashy sounds with no real musical values. Proponents however argue that the music represents Dominicans, the culture, the poor people who listen to it and they say that to recognize the music is to recognize the importance of the people who create and listen to the music (i.e lower class Dominicans). So should Mambo have its own category in the Cassandra's? Does the Cassandra's and in turn upper Dominicans society turn its back on poorer Dominicans (this is an argument about class) when it doesn't recognize this genre?

For some of you this might be something totally new, and for some of you the concept of Mambo is irrelevant, so unless you have something important to say please don't comment. And even if you don't like the music, the underlying argument is what's important. Still, I feel there is a subtle argument about class here that I'd like to get some opinions on.

And for your reading pleasure (in Spanish) here are some articles:

Merengue de Calle (Listin Diario)

Blog that includes more articles about Mambo

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I thought Mambo was Guaracha, so I'm confused about the definition of Merengue de Calle.
I've heard of Pambiche Merengue (slow for the residents of Palm Beach) and Ultra Merengue (fast) so is this a new take on Merengue, or is it Guaracha?
mkohn

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
No. Merengue de Calle (Mambo) (or even called Merengue Urbano) is something different. Its more vulgar, explicit high paced and rhythmic. Its more "barrio" if that makes it clearer. The thing with it is that its more raw and the beats are more simplistic. Here is Omega the most popular "Mambero" on the scene right now. The song is called Alante Alante.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
"merengue de calle"... another useless musical genre...

-What can I say... It's noise with a guy saying idiotic words on top... Very unpleasant, as usually the jeepetas blast that "music" so loud that you are forced to listen to it...

I totally understand it doesn't get any awards... it sucks...

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
"merengue de calle"... another useless musical genre...

-What can I say... It's noise with a guy saying idiotic words on top... Very unpleasant, as usually the jeepetas blast that "music" so loud that you are forced to listen to it...

I totally understand it doesn't get any awards... it sucks...

Agreed to the 100%....merengue the calle is not music, it is trash.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Wow, thank you for disregarding the parameters of the conversation. Funnyyale and Squat. Your personal distaste for the music is not what's important. I'll disregard your comments and childish and without merit. Just because you don't like the genre you can't discount its validity. I think country music "sucks" but they get awards. Some thing bachata/grunge/rap etc suck, but they get awards. Anyone else with something smart to say.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I'll disregard your comments and childish and without merit.
I can easily see that you don't live down here, and don't have to endure that idiotic noise blasting from jeepetas... Enjoy ! (because we don't have a choice anymore... this idiotic noise is soooo loud, we can only endure it...)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for the link. I see and hear the distinction.
It doesn't remind me of a merengue or a mambo rhythm, so I remain confused as to why it is named that way.
That particular video seems to encourage fantasizing about women and money.
My recollection of the origins of merengue was to dance away the evening and forget about your problems. Listening was fun too. Creative lyrics, and a rhythm anybody could dance to.
Although creative in the use of rhyming lyrics, this particular song might only motivate people to seek out carnal pleasures and easy money.
I will say that back in the day, many people of the upper class rejected merengue as chopo music.
You are right that country music wins awards, but they created their own awards show.
Maybe, once they've earned enough money with record sales, etc. the Merengue de calle (Mambo) artists/producers will have their first awards ceremony and decide what criteria the winners will meet.
It's not my taste, but then again, I like tuna sushi. :ninja:
mkohn

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Well, most folks do not know what mambo is. In the case of Omega y su Mambo Violento, it's just another way of fusilamiento; it's not the D?maso P?rez Prado type of mambo, which some consider the real mambo. But I have to admit I like Omega's brand of mambo: it's different and it has a raw feel to it.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Mkohn...I don't know the real reason they call it "Mambo" as opposed to some other genres that share the name, but from experiences I know the word mambo has a certain connotation in Dominican culture. Its a bit hard to explain what mambo means per se, but it connotes what you would call "swing." Its like style and exuberance. Its to do something well and with style. And in the musical sense its real electric and could make you want to dance.

Still, you are right Merengue has changed and Mambo might not reflect traditional Dominican merengues, but it is popular at the moment and has been popular for some time now. I don't know if you know Spanish, or what your level of Spanish is, but there is a creativeness in the lyrics that is lost on some listeners. The rhymes and the vocabulary is completely "barrio" and it reflects barrio culture, to a degree (i.e the words they use and the slang terms). Yes, the song might glorify money and girls and etc etc, but I mean the content in many genres of music is questionable these days.

This style of music is fun and happy. The point, if you listen carefully, is to not worry about the daily problems you deal with. And as for references to carnal pleasures in merengue: that's what a variety of artists allude to in their music anyway. That's part of the sound, they just aren't as explicit about it.

And yes country music started their own awards, but look at the size of the US and the size of the American music industry. It'd be to difficult to copy and paste that format and have success here.

As for Squat, you must be a psychic because after one simple comment you can determine my geographical location? Riiiiiight!!! I live near Manoguayabo...Mambo blaring all day every day...On the bus home, that's what the bus driver plays. On the bus to work, that's all they play. At the colmado, at the gym, at the mechanic and everywhere I go, they play Mambo. Who says you don't have a choice? Don't like it? Leave. And just because you can't see the importance of something doesn't make it idiotic, it might just make you ignorant.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK...with regards to "Mambo" they are NOT referring to the old mambo style music originating from Cuba, I believe. It's just an expression they use to mean they got rhythm, charisma, appeal, they are the shizznit, etc...Hard to explain to a Non-Dominican who's got no mambo.

I believe Merengue De Calle and Dominican rap definitely should have had their own category. It is the most popular genre right now by far. If nothing else regular old merengue should have their category dropped, because of how unpopular it has become. Problem is these nominations are not put out there by the people, but by a few elitist people who like to nominate crap regular Dominicans don't care about. These people have no clue or are discriminating on purpose.

If Spanish rock, pop rock, classic dance and junk like that which are not Dominican and most people could care less about are included then these two other genres have to be included too, because guess what? This is what most of the population listens to, this is what they like. Example is nobody is more popular than Omega right now.

Pretty much all kinds of music have been considered junk when it first comes out, just because people are not accustomed to it. Music which nowadays is considered "good" or great (i.e. Jazz, Rock n' roll, tango, bachata) was considered crap at one time.

Mr. Lu: I think you're opening up the debate in the wrong forum. This is another one of those things most people here just don't get. Most people here are foreigners. To them this music is trash...reason is "THEY HAVE NO MAMBO".

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
It's all about the comodity and brand identity

It's all about the commodity!

Awards shows are not about art, creativity, and musical expression. They are all about building brand identity in the music industry, selling more records and making more profit. While there can be peer recognition and support for new talent with some music awards ceremonies, organized by associations that promote the industry, mass-mediated gala award ceremonies such as the Cassandras hosted by the glamorous diva Paulina Rubio are about pulling in viewers to consume brand images and advertising. It’s a big infomercial! It’s not about supporting and recognizing musical expression and creativity.

When Merengue de la calle as a genre starts to sell or when there is money to be made from the musical expression of barrio artists, you can be sure they will get their brand category in the Cassandras.

That sample you provided, I would dance to it in club. I wouldn’t buy it and I wouldn’t download it. And my Spanish isn’t good enough to understand all the lyrics so if there’s a message, good or bad, I’ll miss it. I don’t approve of some of the aspects of some sub-cultures that get glamourized in hip hop or rap music, reggaeton – guns, violence, drugs, and prostitution -- but I’m sure there are probably different streams of Merengue de la calle, some might be very positive and satisfying as a form of musical expression and communication.

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Yeah, Margaret there is a lot of Merengue de Calle out there that isn't about money, guns and girls. And what you said about the commodity is true. Unfortunate, but true. Still, what I think is that these genres are important and need to be highlighted as they reflect what "real Dominican" society is about. It might not all be positive and high class, but its real. But at the same time maybe that's why they don't highlight it since it goes contrary to the "image" they want to portray.

And Suarezn got it right. Its hard to explain Mambo, or even like it, if you ain't got no mambo in you. Jajaj. By the way Omega rules....

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
I believe Merengue De Calle and Dominican rap definitely should have had their own category. It is the most popular genre right now by far. If nothing else regular old merengue should have their category dropped, because of how unpopular it has become. Problem is these nominations are not put out there by the people, but by a few elitist people who like to nominate crap regular Dominicans don't care about. These people have no clue or are discriminating on purpose.

That's no joke!

Even the Latin Grammys nominate crap music: Elvis Crespo in the merengue/tropical category. Good thing some of us have left TV--and awards show--behind.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I can easily see that you don't live down here...

Hehehe... Actually he's sitting across the office from me.

He's the guy that has written many of the articles on DR1 and is really into music of all genres.

Next...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Hehehe... Actually he's sitting across the office from me.

He's the guy that has written many of the articles on DR1 and is really into music of all genres.

Next...

Ok, you guys had me... I screwed up...

(but I still don't like merengue de calle ;) )

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Yeah, Margaret there is a lot of Merengue de Calle out there that isn't about money, guns and girls. And what you said about the commodity is true. Unfortunate, but true. Still, what I think is that these genres are important and need to be highlighted as they reflect what "real Dominican" society is about. It might not all be positive and high class, but its real. But at the same time maybe that's why they don't highlight it since it goes contrary to the "image" they want to portray.

And Suarezn got it right. Its hard to explain Mambo, or even like it, if you ain't got no mambo in you. Jajaj. By the way Omega rules....

Do you have any more links for Merengue de Calle, Mr. Lu?
And I'd like to know what you mean by "real Dominican" society. What's the "unreal" that you're referring to? Don't you think it's part of young culture in one social class? But since you're obviously not from the barrio and it appeals to you, probabbly it will catch on with others and be part of youth culture in the DR and perhaps in the Latin music scene elsewhere.