Bad plastic surgery in the DR

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
As there are recurring threads- often sounding like ads - here on DR1 about cosmetic surgery, readers should be aware of this report, a few years old but... have things changed?

Read the entire story for the full horror.
From Surgery news-
http://www.surgerynews.net/news/2005/04/other0405-5.htm-
"Last year U.S. health officials identified an unusual and virulent bacteria in 16 women who'd had plastic surgery in the Dominican Republic. The centers for disease control warned doctors all over the country to be on the lookout. And that prompted New York City's Health Department to take a dramatic step, issuing a warning for people not to travel to the Dominican Republic for cosmetic surgery."

Cuidate.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The link actually is:

Surgery News : Plastic surgery tourism?

This is bad news, all I can say is there are many reputable doctors and medical institutions here that have done a great job on three different surgeries of my wife. I would recommend to anyone considering this to make sure they personally check the organizations references.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Like anything, do your due diligence. The Internet has many good resources you can use to pick out the good and bad surgeons from all countries, not just the DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My sister had plastic surgery in Atlanta georgia, from one of the best clinics in the world. She almost died from post surgical infection. They had to perform 2 more surgeries on her to save her life. She is left with all kinds of scars on her belly after the liposuction.
She was not operated in DR. So there are good experiences and bad experiences everywhere.
AZB

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The DR is a plastic surgery mecca. You would be amazed how much cosmetic surgery happens. Dominican women keep the surgeons busy. As with those exposing oneself to plastic surgery, there is always a risk, and there will be tragedies and mishaps. As said above, check out the doctors reputation, look for those that are affiliated with the Society of Dominican Plastic Surgeons.

I would recommend exercise and accepting one is aging. But for those who are all for it, chances of your having problems here, I would speculate are about the same as for those having similar operations in the US. There are many experienced doctors here that will minimize the risk, but there are also many clients that will push their doctors to the limit. Choose a conservative doctor with a good reputation if you must go ahead with it. But the DR is definitely a country to look into for plastic surgery.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
how do you find out ?

OK - I am philosophically opposed to women undertaking this risk to "look better" but since there are people who are doing it (do we hear of men doing this?) -- how do they know who is reputable? Is there any sort of medical board here that certifies doctors? Any malpractice claims? Is there anyway that DR1 can help with this?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes, the Dominican plastic surgeons have grouped as the Society of Plastic Surgeons in order to maintain minimum standards. You should research whether your doctor is a member of this board.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Would Not Have ANY Elective Surgery In The DR!

It is NOT so much the problem of the Surgeon,but the "So-Called" Nurses,technicians,and support staff!
BASIC Sterile Technique is not only, not taught here,but it is NOT Understood here either!!!!!
They can't grasp the concept of "Contamination"!(If you can't "SEE" it,how can it make you sick?)
As an "Operation Room Technician" I am VERY aware of how to function in an "OR"! They don't have a "CLUE"! Therefore,even if your surgeon does a GREAT JOB,you are then at the "Mercy" of untrained nurses and technicians!
Trust me, I KNOW what I am talking about here!!!!!!!
There are some great Doctors here! Trained in the USA and Europe. But a great "General" can't function without great "soldiers" to support him!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If they were so good, they'd make sure their support staff met minimum standards.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"C'mon" Chiri....................

You know THAT ain't easy here in the DR!
First you have to have a nursing school,second you have to pay the nurses who graduate a living wage!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC