Street map of Santo Domingo (and Santiago too)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Hello fellow DR1'ers,

Iruta.net is down so I can't look up where 2 streets are, although I have a general idea of where they are located. The streets I want to look up are Olof Palme (or Oloff Palme, Olaf Palmer) in Los Prados and Erik Leonard Ekman (or Erick Leonard Ekman).

There's also an Erik Leonard Ekman street in Santiago that I'd like knowing where it is.

The reason why I want to look up these addresses is because they're 2 Swedes and I'd like to take a picture of the street sign for a travel tip, so if anyone could take these pictures for me I'd be very grateful. If not, give me a little nudge on the right direction.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Calle Olof Palme (which as you know is the correct spelling, unlike the street signs that have it as Olaf Palmer and other variations) crosses Nu?ez de Caceres a couple of blocks north of Gustavo Mej?a Ricart.

Calle Erik Leonard Ekman is off Los Proceres - after Lincoln crosses Kennedy, going north towards the Botanical Gardens, appropriately enough, one or two blocks north of the Diamond Plaza, on the right side of the road.

I can't promise, but if I (or Mr C) are in the vicinities of those streets in the next few days I will try to get photos.

Can't help with Santiago, though - the Wiki entry says that Ekman is buried there and that there is a statue and a plaque - HB, Chip or one of the other Santiago posters may be able to help.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Let me see if I can find myself in the map I have in my head. Is Ekman street perpendicular or parallel to Lincoln/Los Pr?ceres, sort of walking distance from UNPHU? And is it a no way out street (calle sin salida, don't know if that's what you say in English)?

And since you haven't promised anything, I won't expect more than the help you already have given me and let me tell you that this is very much appreciated :)

Calle Olof Palme (which as you know is the correct spelling, unlike the street signs that have it as Olaf Palmer and other variations) crosses Nu?ez de Caceres a couple of blocks north of Gustavo Mej?a Ricart.

Calle Erik Leonard Ekman is off Los Proceres - after Lincoln crosses Kennedy, going north towards the Botanical Gardens, appropriately enough, one or two blocks north of the Diamond Plaza, on the right side of the road.

I can't promise, but if I (or Mr C) are in the vicinities of those streets in the next few days I will try to get photos.

Can't help with Santiago, though - the Wiki entry says that Ekman is buried there and that there is a statue and a plaque - HB, Chip or one of the other Santiago posters may be able to help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Erik Eckmann is a street that starts on 27 de Febrero just past the Banco Popular, and goes up and over the Cerros de Gurabo.

As for a photo...I'll see...

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Let me see if I can find myself in the map I have in my head. Is Ekman street perpendicular or parallel to Lincoln/Los Pr?ceres, sort of walking distance from UNPHU? And is it a no way out street (calle sin salida, don't know if that's what you say in English)?
Yes - walking distance from what used to be UNPHU and is now the rumoured site of the new IKEA (hey - another Swedish connection!). It definitely crosses Los Proceres. I'm not 100% sure - we used to live nearby but I only remember vaguely - that is a one-way street going east to west.

And since you haven't promised anything, I won't expect more than the help you already have given me and let me tell you that this is very much appreciated :)
Mr C has been briefed - he said he'd do his best. :)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Chiri: I found Ekman street. It's so ironic that I used to pass it by when going to UNPHU from Diamond Mall hehe. I thought Olof Palme st was in Naco, but I also found it on a SD map. Thanks so much.

Mr. Hillbilly: I found Ekman ave. on a Santiago map, thanks so much for your help too.