How ironic that my money was picked from my pocket

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thought that the nay sayers regarding Dominican crooks would get a kick out of this story.
Went to JD last week. Good amount of cash on me but I take all the precauctions.Passport and cash in room safe. Take only dinner and cab money with me at night. Etc., etc. No problem.

Return after a few days since I had a doctor's appoint I didn't want to miss. Second day back in NY I stick $875 cash in my pocket (left over from my trip) and off to the doctor's I go. Get on a very crowded train to the city. Little pushing and shoving during the rush hour but I do notice 2 guys behind me step out of the train when the doors wouldn't close. Thought that was unusual (for those who don't know ,New Yorkers don't step back, they just keep pushing in)
Well, there went my $875.00!

Moral of the story--It happens everyway even in NY!
BTW--I'm wondering if the SD metro ever reaches a point of being this crowded will this be another venue for the bad guys?
JOHN

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
WHO in their right mind, besides you, would take $875 CASH on the train?

Come on, I never lived in NY, but I wouldn't do that anywhere in the world!!!!

You've GOT to be kidding!!!! :(

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

The only defense I have is--Well, it WAS in my pocket...duh.
Seriously $500 was slated for the doctor. Doctor was outside my network of insurance and I didn't know what he was going to charge. (Plastic surgeon that is going to do some work on me next month) Just thought it would be easier to take the money and put it in my pocket. Then, catch this, the front office says--no you don't need to pay I'm going to file for the consultation with your medical plan. Let me have your card..
So I look at it this way for my peace of mind-$500 went to a professional crook as opposed to $500 professional surgeon.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

That doesn't sound in the least bit unusual to me.
When I lived in N.A I rarely had less than $1,000 on me.
Maybe it's different nowadays with everyone using credit & ATM cards, but $875 US in one's pockets in broad daylight, doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
I could see it if John was going to the disco with that much cash, that it might be taking an unnecessary risk.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It can happen even in NY ? :surprised

That's too funny John, please tell me that you at least put that money in your front pocket. Anyone reaching into your front pocket would have to feel nuts.

yeah yeah old joke

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

I have to agree with you, it is downright RETARDED to carry more than a few bucks on a NYC Subway. Even a bus is 200% safer.

Every doc I use takes ATM/Credit cards...Buy a money order Johne next time you need to make "Cash" go away.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
heck, people pickpocket in Iowa....
when i the DR, gotta watch those "touchy-feely" discoteca chicas and those crowded guaguas.
i sometimes put money in my shoe, doesn't smell too good when i have to pay for something :ermm:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
The only crime perpetrated on me was very similar. My friend and I were going up to Washington Heights on a Friday rush hour in 2002 and the platform at 42nd street was packed. The train came and it was too packed as well and my friend squeezed on but I told him I would take the next train. A guy came behind me and said "come on, we can fit." I gave it a try but soon after the doors closed I realized my wallet was gone. My friend and I laughed all the way to our stop because there was no cash in my wallet because I was about to go to an ATM when I got off the train and there was just a bunch of useless receipts in my wallet.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Spelling

What about boob money...oops...
Do like I do. Put a little money in different parts of the body. Then if they rob one spot you still have some cash in other spots. I even did that in USA.

Jan--did you mean "rub" or "rob"? You see, if they "rub" they owe me money. Or, do I owe them? Now you got me confused.

I wanted to save this for Funny Fridays but I couldn't wait.And BTW don't rub it in that someone .....forget it

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
Come on, I have been riding the subways for 20 years in NY and have never had anything stolen. It is rare to be pickpocketed in NY. He was unlucky and was unlucky enuf to have lots of cash on him. But, the odds are against this happening.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Come on, I have been riding the subways for 20 years in NY and have never had anything stolen. It is rare to be pickpocketed in NY. He was unlucky and was unlucky enuf to have lots of cash on him. But, the odds are against this happening.

You just are lucky. There are hundreds of pickpockets in NY. Trust me on this!!!!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
..... i sometimes put money in my shoe, doesn't smell too good when i have to pay for something :ermm:

Surely it can?t smell any worse then the Dominican 10?s and 20?s that I sometimes refuse to take from the cashiers here in the DR.

Some are so bad that as they start to give them to me, they look up at me, then I guess feel sorry for the gringo and give me coins instead.

Johne, you aren?t trying to disguise yourself as another DR1 poster are you with some plastic surgery?

Don SantiagoDR

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Although I've never had that kind of money to my name, I've ran errands for people and carried a few thousands of their cash in my left-front pocket. I've done it several times. So far, no problems.

Any would-be thief takes a good look at me and declares, "Ese maldito pobre del diablo no tiene na'; ese e' ma' pobre que yo." He might even apologize to me.

I've noticed some Dominicans have that tengo-mas-cuartos-que-tu look to them, and it attracts the bad guys.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Johne, you aren?t trying to disguise yourself as another DR1 poster are you with some plastic surgery?

Don SantiagoDR
Well. maybe. But lets take a Nal's type poll. Who should I come back as after my eye surgery??