Best location to import goods

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
What has been your experience with importing in the RD?
Either with air freight or by ship.

Have heard that it is best to have good sent into Santiago or Santo Domingo rather than Puerto Plata.
This had been said because the feeling is that the Aduanas in PoP are 'worse thiefs' than the other two locations.
And others have said that PoP is the best.

Whether it be household goods or product that you are bringing what have you found to be the best location to clear your goods?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Geez -- I know nothing but I would certainly go for Pepe Salcido, Manzanillo, which has a dock and a customs and absolutely nothing going on there... of course, I guess that ships don't go there that often. But if it is on the list, definitely check that box.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
If its products for a business you are bringing in, be sure to remember the free import tax agreement the DR has with some countries. If you want to bring into Puerto Plata ask at the security gate on the dock to see the Marine Captain, he is a great help.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The best location is the one that your clearing agent recommends. We've brought products in in POP and in Santo Domingo and really, it is the luck of the draw. Sometimes POP is better, sometimes the capital is better. Get a good clearing agent and let the agent make the call.

Manzanillo is a banana port mainly and you'll not get anything delivered there. Another option that I heard of but never used, is Punta Cana.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks Chris. If of any help I can post how I make out with the different brokers here once I get more information.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
No port in Punta Cana...........

Freight by containers comes into POP, Haina, Caucedo, and I believe San Pedro de Marcoris. Other posters are correct...pick your poison. We have always preferred Haina since it has a main office there (unlike POP).

Chris is also right...you cannot ever count on anything running correctly with respect to your duties etc. You could bring in the same containerized items...and I mean EXACTLY the same...even to the point of having the same values aned items in the container....and you will always end up with a different value. No, don't think logically that it should be the same ...it will not be the same. Now, if you are in a free zone business, you can fair a lot better than when you are running businesses outside the free zone.

Good luck!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Speaking of thing changing from place to place, the one common denominator that an importer can have is the person they are working with. It is all about relationships with the forces that be, and the expectations and rewards that apply to your particular case.
That is the nature of the island, and moreso, the rule of business in general in this country and other latin countries. An effort in this realm will reflect on success in future tansactions, period.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
who is best?

Fightfish, comment is well-taking. As a novice to shipping, I am not sure who is the person in customs that it is best to build a relationship with - what is their job title/position? Or is it better to build a relationship with an outside service, although they will take fees as a "middle man"?

Thanks!

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
You need to find a service company that you can work with .......

....that will be the "constant" for you. You can develop all the relationships you want inside customs and just when you think you are "golden" you will find that your "contact" has been transferred and then you have to "rebuild".......