Dual Nationals?

G

george

My son was Born in Santo Domingo, Mom Dominican.
It is my understanding that he was a dual national until his
18 birthday. He is 21.
He is a US Citizen born abroad with a US Passport but came to US with a Dominican passport as a child.
Does he have any rights or privileges in the Dominican Republic?
Do they conflict with US citizenship?
Is he still a dual national?
Does it make any difference?
Thank you for any instructions on this topic.

K

Keith

As I understand it, the Dominican government would consider him a Dominican citizen, esp. if he had been previously issued a Dominican passport. Hope you still have it! No matter how old & expired it may be, it is proof to Dominican authorities of citizenship and can be used (probably along with a certified copy of his birth certificate) to get a new Dominican passport issued.

The catch is, while the Dominican authorities allow dual citizenship, American law does not, esp. after he is considered old enough to have chosen for himself between the citizenships (which, at 21, he is). I have met many Dominicans carrying both passports without problem, but legally speaking, if the US Gov ever find outs that he is carrying a new Dominican passport, his US passport can be revoked. Not sure how they would find out, but nonetheless, he should be conscious of the possible consequences should the unforeseeable happen...

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Keith

J

John Thomas

It used to be that your son could not hold dual citizenship. But, since 1939 the US Supreme Court ruled that you could hold dual citizenship if adquired from birth or childhood. I am assuming that he was registered, at birth, in the US Consulate. Therefore your son's US citizenship is by birth not naturalization and was not required to renounce under oath his Dominican citizenship. He can keep dual citizenship if he so desires.
However, must of the laws forbidding dual citizenship were struck down in 1967 by the US Supreme Court and Congress in 1986. The Supreme Court let stand rules against people willing to become US citizens via naturalization to have dual citizenship, mainly, new citizens must renounce their old citizenship during US naturalization. The US State Department does nothing when the "old country" does not recognize the US renunciation as is the case with the Dominican Republic. The US does not favor dual citizenship but it recognizes it.
Bear in mind that he have all the rights and priviledges of Dominican and US citizenship, as well as its obligations. For instance, he can be drafted into both the Dominican Republic Armed Forces and US Armed Forces.

G

george

Thank you both Keith and John.

I wonder if there are any dual nationals here and what their
experiences have been?