Lass Terrenas?

JSP2008

Jan 24, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I'm a college student, graduating in May. I'm interested in living and working in the Dominican Republic for at least a year before I attend graduate school. I'm interested in teaching ESL (I don't have a cert, but I have some experience) or working with youth. Has anyone heard of the organization Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi in Las Terrenas? What's Las Terrenas like in terms of cost of living, social activities, etc.? Get back to me when you can. Thanks.

cherie36

Oct 16, 2007
Las Terrenas is beautiful. A lot of Europeans live there. The surrounding towns are beautiful and unspoiled.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Gandhi Foundation

This was started by a Dominican American, Jose Bourget, who has a PHd and is an on-line professor at the U of Maryland. His American wife, Annette Snyder has started the small community library. They are both wonderful people, (ok, ok, I am pleased and proud to call them my friends!) honorable and dedicated. They don't have any real funding now but are applying for grants. I know that there is already one American doing ESL classes with them but do contact them.

And also, if anyone is going to LT, be sure to write to them and see if they need anything that you might bring and be sure to stop by the Library, which is delightful.

You will have fun in LT but I warn you that it is probably the most expensive place in the DR-- next to Casa de Campo.

annie

terrenero

Mar 25, 2006
Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi

Hello College Student
I'm Jose Bourget and along with my spouse, Annette Snyder, we founded Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi almost two years ago (anniversary of the library is coming up on the 25th of february.
I appreciate the nice comments from everyone, it's nice to be recognized and I truly appreciated having invested so much time (and a lot of our savings) in this community project.
We strive on the work of volunteers, we wouldn't be anything without them and to them goes the recognition of every single thing we've accomplished. We've had about 40 of them from overseas (mostly from the U.S.) and this year we're getting lots of requests from Spain and South America (thanks to posting in idealistas.org.
We'd love to consider having you, please go online to the Website already provided to you, it is in Spanish and in English and in either format there's a link to volunteering. All of the information (probably more than what you need) is there.
Hope to see you inquiries.
And for anyone else who wishes to participate in our efforts, you're more than welcome. And, yes, we lack funds but have lots of energy and love for this town.
jose

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Just a word to confirm that Mr. Jos? Bourget is doing an outstanding job here in Las Terrenas, and he is well recognized in the community with the Fundaci?n Mahatma Gandhi.

If any of you has connections to sponsors, they deserve financial help ;)