transfering money

cherokee

Jan 20, 2007
I would like to deposit some money in a bank in the DR,drawn from an American bank.Will a bank in the DR accept a check from an American bank for deposit?One bank in the capital will accept a wire transfer of 10,000 us dollars at a time,I hope there is another option. thanks,cherokee

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you open a US dollar account, checks will be accepted for deposit. However, at least at Banco Popular, the funds will not be available for a while. The last I heard was 45 days.

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
yes Even Sending money from over Here Anything over $2600 usd Using LaNacional They Require To show Where The money is coming From, Ur Social Security, And A Pay Stub. What The hell Is that all about???????????

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Unless it is essential that you have U$D &/or RD Pesos in a bank here, don't do it! Use your debit card to withdraw Pesos as & when you need them. Once you have built up a relationship with a Cambio, they will change U$D cheques for you - might take a few months though!! ~ Grahame.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have done many wire tranfers over US10k and it has not been a problem. The normal waiting time for the first one will be 1 week or so but after that 2 to 3 days was the norm. I used Bank of America in the States and Banreservas here in the DR where I live.

This will be standard for all of the major banks here in the DR.

As far as drawing funds out of an ATM here in the DR from an American bank, this is no problem, however please be aware that you will be charged US10-12 per transaction.

However, if you have a BOA account in the States, you can draw cash out of the Scotiabank ATM's here free of charge, to a maximum of RD20,000 per day.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As far as drawing funds out of an ATM here in the DR from an American bank, this is no problem, however please be aware that you will be charged US10-12 per transaction.

However, if you have a BOA account in the States, you can draw cash out of the Scotiabank ATM's here free of charge, to a maximum of RD20,000 per day.

I have a BOA account myself in NY, and also use Scotiabank's ATH's FEE FREE, just be aware it does cost you 3% in the tasa (exchange rate), it's kinda buried in the transaction!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a BOA account myself in NY, and also use Scotiabank's ATH's FEE FREE, just be aware it does cost you 3% in the tasa (exchange rate), it's kinda buried in the transaction!

Thanks, it's still better than what I was getting before and a lot more convenient than wire transfers.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It takes me no more than 2 days max, and a $25 charge to transfer $$$ from Wachovia in FL to Banco Leon in Santiago (well, really, SDQ).

The $$$ actually goes into their (Banco Leon) US Wachovia account, then they do the transfer themselves internally in the DR.

No problems at all.

Feb 7, 2007

Washington Mutual - free checking, free ATM withdrawals worldwide, no fees, no nothing.
Exchange rate fee just 1.5%