safety while travelling....

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
Hi, all. I am a 40y.o. female who will be travelling to the DR (Sosua, Semana and Las Terrenas) in February with my 63 y.o. mother. Neither of us are "faint of heart" or lacking street smarts. I live in a dicey neighborhood in Chicago and I have experienced my fair share of crime, etc. Despite all of this, I am concerned about our safety while travelling. My brother in law just returned from the DR and said there were many times where he and his wife felt unsafe, this coming from a man. From all the posts I've read on this site, I am getting the impression that the DR is not a very safe place, or is this just a case of only bad news being reported? I am NOT staying in AIs, just an FYI, and I plan to visit local restaurants, bars, etc. We are visiting for fun but also because we hope to live and/or invest in property down there. I guess I am looking for some honest discussion about crime, safety, etc. I would like to hear some positive stuff, not just negative. I know the basics of safety (don't dress flashy, don't flash money around, don't leave drinks unattended, etc.), but is the more that I need to know? All responses are welcome.

Sincerely,
Rebecca

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Safety

it is always good to be careful. But don't worry. I just returned from 3 weeks in the Santiago area. I had my entire family with me including my 65 yo parents, my Dominican wife and my 3 kids ages 10, 8 and 3. We stayed with family in Pekin (not a good meighborhood in Santiago) and traveled all over the country. I never felt un-safe. You will be fine if you use basic street smarts and a little common sense. Stop worrying and enjoy yourselves.

TheQueen

Jan 31, 2008
We just got back from the Dominican on the North Coast and we were two single women in our 30's. We never once felt unsafe and we didn't spend much time on the resort! We were often walking at night in town and we always felt safe.

We have travelled before and we know how to be safe!

Kityme

Jan 23, 2008
Traveling to Bani soon

We just got back from the Dominican on the North Coast and we were two single women in our 30's. We never once felt unsafe and we didn't spend much time on the resort! We were often walking at night in town and we always felt safe.

We have travelled before and we know how to be safe!

My sister and I will be traveling to Santo Domingo, but we need to be closer to Bani, for our dentist is there. What is there to do In Santo Domingo and other areas near that coast side?

Thanks
kity:cheeky: