Buying a laptop in Santiago

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
If anyone knows about a good store in Santiago for purchasing a laptop, please answer my question: where to buy a laptop in Santiago?

I was looking at the laptops in the computer stores that I know in POP (Ceducomp and meGacomp) and I did not find what I need, there is not much choice here.

I'm also frightful of ordering one laptop online, since I don't trust customs at all, so I plan to go to Santiago to get one laptop.

A machine with 1GB RAM, at least 80 GB hard drive (if bigger would be better) and any processors will do, no matter if it has Windows Vista or XP.
I need plenty of USB ports, and a ethernet port also and of course CD-ROM DBD reading/writing.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CECOMSA or PRODECOM are probably your two best bets. Cecomsa is on two sites: One on Bartolom? Colon past Hache towards Gurabo.
PRODACOM is on a tiny street between Bartolom? Colon and Estrella Sadhala, just before the light at the intersection of these two avenues.

the other CECOMSA is located in Plaza El Portal in front on PriceSmart.

HB

james

Jan 14, 2002
The best way is if you have friends/clients that come to visit from the USA. The you order online and ship it to them. They bring it with them "out of the box" as a personal computer duty free and you get the best price by far. I have bought several laptops in this manner.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
James has the best advice. For $500-600 US you can get a nice machine in the US. Over here you will spend more.

However, if you buy it here I recommend CECOMSA, the place HB mentioned. They generally have the latest models available here. But again, you will do much better the other way.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I just saw some laptops in DG here in POP yesterday. Didn't look at prices or contents and probably wouldn't buy a laptop from a furniture store, but they have some. James probably has the best idea, ask a friend to bring one from the states.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok guys, here is a deal. I always end up fixing computers for friends and often time help them decide which is a better machine for their needs. Now, lately, I have been going to USA and buying a laptop (medium to high end) example: 1.9 gig dual core AMD processor (faster than pentium), 15.4 inch screen, 160 gig hard drive (5400 RPM) 2gig DDR2 ram, DVD-CD recorder, webcam and microphone built-in, wireless and LAN, 3-4 USB and many more features. I can sell that laptop for 900 dollars. I will install antivirus, office and 14 gig of music on demand and also fine tune / tweak vista to make it run faster. If xp can be installed, I can do that as well.
Send me an PM because I am thinking of going to USA in the first week of February.
AZB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A laptop is not a good thing to buy in the DR. Everything of quality (components) gets stripped and inferior components put in place. So, whatever the name on the laptop, you never know what is inside. And has anyone come across licensed software on a machine bought in the DR? ;)

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Well Cecomsa in la capital is Fairly good. But my recommendation is that you order online a Dell they shipped to the D.R and they Guaranteed it. I am just going to give you a hint in San Juan there is Circuit city, Officemax, Officedepot and next week Best buy will open, Compusa is liquidating everything they are closing and opening under new management systemax. My recommendation get on a plane or the ferry next week go to San Juan maybe in compusa you will get a good liquidation my friend got a VAIO Sony with Intel Duo core processor windows vista the works for $ 520.00 dollars with factory warranty. I saw some acers at 380 dollars with windows vista and new processor Incredible??? if you can't fly go to the websites of the mention above call the stores locally in san juan they have exports department they will ship it with warranty next day if you wish. Now if you are interest with Apple Computer there is a good Shop in La romana in la Marina de Casa de Campo called Macexpress is pretty good!!!!