Orange Service

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Is it just me, or is Orange dropping WAY more calls than usual lately?

Nevermind driving, where one might pass through a blind spot, but standing still with signal, the call drops 3-4 times while trying to have a conversation.

Many times I call friends, only to get dropped (not to voicemail, dropped outright) without a ring. I even sometimes get the wrong number on numbers I have saved (and redialed).

Lately the service has been so bad, I'm considering moving to Claro.

DMLVT

Jan 12, 2004
If I don't use my Orange phone, how long will Orange wait before they disconnect my number?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Orange number expiry solution !?

I think they disconnect after 90 days if there has not been any usage.

You can now top up your phone by giving your number to the shopkeeper and he/she puts in your number and the amount (min 50 pesos) and it gets topped up.

I wonder if that would keep the number alive, I wanted to ask one of my friends to do that every 2 months or so. Or does the phone has to be switched ON (to receive that confirmation email !) and communicate with the center ?

I asked everyone and even called Orange 555, it was hard to get an answer out of them, they all said something different !?

(You can only get two numbers with a foreign passport - 3 with Doominican cedula. I am on my second/last one, which will also be expired too I guess !).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
(You can only get two numbers with a foreign passport - 3 with Doominican cedula. I am on my second/last one, which will also be expired too I guess !).[/QUOTE]

I do not know where you got this info from, but I can assure you it is not true.

I have had at least 10 myself. In fact there are shops that will activate a phone with no ID.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am talking about Orange SIM/Chip that you buy "officially" from the Orange shop in Sosua. Two of the staff in the shop have mentioned this to me twice on two separate occasions (one year appart). I think it must be right, in DR this is some consistency !?

I am sure you can get some new numbers from Claro too and other (non-chip) venders with your passport and even unofficial ones without any ID.......

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
(You can only get two numbers with a foreign passport - 3 with Doominican cedula. I am on my second/last one, which will also be expired too I guess !).

I do not know where you got this info from, but I can assure you it is not true.

I have had at least 10 myself. In fact there are shops that will activate a phone with no ID.[/QUOTE]

The limitation is ACTIVE numbers. If they have expired, you will get a new one without problems, bur you can just have 3 at the same time.

jupe

Sep 7, 2007

I have had at least 10 myself. In fact there are shops that will activate a phone with no ID.

The limitation is ACTIVE numbers. If they have expired, you will get a new one without problems, bur you can just have 3 at the same time.[/QUOTE]

I've got three active numbers...not because I wanted three but due to other reasons

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Are you talking about 3 active numbers on one carrier? Like Claro for example, or 3 total for any amount of carriers?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
SKY is right, some time ago I confirmed with Hawke in Sosua, owner of orange francise, you can have 3 on a cedula, I had to contact him because one girl in an orange shop in Moca said I couldnt have a second number, only one!! so it does depend whether the people working in the orange shops know their job well enough. When my son is away, I keep his cel topped up and use it once a month, I found even if it had credit if you dont use it, the credit was wiped and so were your points. I also experienced, that on one other number if you didnt use your points after a certain period of time (in this case 3 years) they also wiped the points. You can check regularly on here,
https://www.orange.com.do/topFrames.jsp

But the signal is really weak at present and so many problems as per the ops original post. Will Claro let you transfer your contract to them as they do in Europe with some providers?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Does the Orange prepay SIM card (pay-as-you-go chip) works in the UK !? This text is from the "Planes --> Orange Card" section of their website:

"Roaming que te permite viajar y mantenerte comunicado, controlando tu presupuesto."

If that is the case I can get my SIM sent to me and then keep it alive here (even if as some say there is no limit on how many numbers you can get with your passport - after one expires - it is better to keep the same number).

nigorv

Jul 11, 2008
I'm planning to travel back and forth during the year. What is the way of keeping my local phone number not closed down? Is Claro 365 prepago plan might be an answer?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I'm planning to travel back and forth during the year. What is the way of keeping my local phone number not closed down? Is Claro 365 prepago plan might be an answer?
What is the longest amount of time that you expect to be out of the country?

I have had my Orange phone number for over two years. The longest time I was not in the country was 63 days. I did not lose my number although I believe 60 days is the max before Orange will drop your number.

nigorv

Jul 11, 2008
I might be out of country for more then 120 days but would like to receive ocasional incoming calls on my DR number while abroad

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Maybe keeping Orange (better rates) and getting a prepaid Claro one with 200 pesos worth of minute in it for a backup cell is a good idea.

Claro signal is amazing, you can go to PR in Yola and you'll have signal arriving to the coast of Mayaguez to call your family. I guess that you get what you pay for....

travellor1

Apr 14, 2008
Orange.com

I've been looking at Orange's website and I can't find where you purchase a sim card. Perhaps I just don't understand their website.
I'll be in the DR for a week and just want my cell phone for emergencies.
When I walk into an Orange store should I just tell the agent I need a week's worth of minutes with the sim card?
You can see I really don't understand how the sim card works in the DR.
Can anyone explain it to me and advise me what plan to ask for?

Thank you so much.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've been looking at Orange's website and I can't find where you purchase a sim card. Perhaps I just don't understand their website.
I'll be in the DR for a week and just want my cell phone for emergencies.
When I walk into an Orange store should I just tell the agent I need a week's worth of minutes with the sim card?
You can see I really don't understand how the sim card works in the DR.
Can anyone explain it to me and advise me what plan to ask for?

Thank you so much.
Take your passport and unlocked GSM phone, buy a SIM card (comes with some pesos), and buy some cards. When you run out, buy some more, about anywhere.