Exporting a SUV from the DR to the US

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I bought a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara last year in March in Santo Domingo..I want to ship it back to the USA as it only has 77,000 km on the clock and is like brand new..Is it worth it.??.I have residency, and I am a US citizen if that makes any difference...The title is clear...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
My honest opinion is to sell the vehicle here and use the proceeds to purchase a vehicle in the U.S.

If the vehicle was not made for the U.S. market { not having environmental equipment } then it is not worthwhile to ship to the U.S. as it most likely be rejected, unless retrofitted with proper devices at your cost. The cost of paperwork, transport, and taxes would not make the move cost effective as these would increase your cost of the vehicle over reasonable market value. For example: vehicle U.S. market value is $6,500, shipping and taxes is let's say is $3,500; and your work, time, and aggrevation is $1,000. Cost of vehicle as arrived in U.S. $11,000.

Best to contact a ocean freight forwarding company to obtain a true estimate of shipping costs. The decision is yours, but you need to consider the above and most likely other factors. A good SUV sold in the Dominican market would bring in more cash way above the U.S. market value.

Regards,
PJT

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
No question. Sell it here and buy another one in the US. Cars cost 30% more here. You'll get a better one in the US and still have money left over.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
In the case of a fancy new SUV you can literally buy 2 of the exact same with the 200% profit.

There are barely any "products" worth taking from the DR elsewhere as most are more expensive and therefore have more value here.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Isn't it strange that they all have around 72,000 km or miles when you buy them here.... ;)

Janin

The real strange thing is how can someone even ask the op question.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
The suzuki Grand Vitara is a vehicle that also sells in U.S markets and meets U.S standards now i know there is a free trade agreement between the U.S and the D.R but that does not mean that customs in the U.S is not going to imposed duties i know that duties start 5.5% from the black book value of the car. I know a friend of mine brought a car from Colombia and he paid 5.5% in import duties but the truck was almost new!!!! Cars in the U.S are 20 times cheaper than D.R my recommendation is that try selling it and get a much better car in the U.S

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
The real strange thing is how can someone even ask the op question.

Luperon,

There is always someone who comes back with a special reply IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN..

To the rest of you who know me thanks for the answers...It's just that my home is so near the water and I am back in the states for at least a year and don't want it to rust up from not using it...But as I paid $11,000 usd for it it is not practial...Also I did not think about the emissions and other requirements the US has on vehicles..

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
In addition, if the Excise Tax has not been paid on the vehicle (and it probably hasn't been), you must pay that before it can be registered in the USA. On a big auto, that can be a whopper.

Texas Bill