Moving to Puerto Plata!!!

ash

May 7, 2006
Hi, everyone, I just have some questions on what is the best way for me as a female traveller to be safe: I would like to open this for just the female traveller, if possible.

1. I have read alot of posts here about clothing but they all seem to be for men...I would like to know what to wear as a female treveller?

2. How to fit in as much as possible? I have recieved alot of Information from friends and planner which are very helpful ( have a low profile, dont give information to anyone about you, drop your morals you have in Canada at the airport and learn what dominicans do, don't get in peoples business, dress like locals, dont act surprised about everything you see, act as if you know where you are and where you are going etc,dont walk late at night, take taxis when possible especially at night etc.... I am just looking to see what other people have to offer.

3. I have been a little afraid since i have been reading about guns, for me as a female travelling for just two months...I dont want to be in a foriegn country and own a gun...as in other posts, is seems that it is necessary to have one.

4. I am wondering about walking in the day time?...I dont hear much about walking alone in the day time.

5. Good places to go and have a good time and places to meet the right people to make friends?

6. I would also like to know about Torre Alta and have some other opinions on the area?

Any information at all about the female traveller would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ashley

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dressing like the locals for a female means blouse and full length trousers or reasonable length skirt or a decent dress. Very mini skirts plus very high heels could make you appear somewhat 'tarty' which I'm sure you're not. This might seem from the Ark :cheeky: but it's the way it is............ Keep boobs reasonably covered. Trousers can be tight on bottom without raising eyebrows. Walking around most parts of Puerto Plata town is fine in the daytime - wear comfortable shoes & look down frrom time to time to avoid falling into potholes etc and don't swing a shoulder bag - use what we Brits. call a bumbag & the N. Americans call a fanny pack I believe. Don't go into downtown barrios at night unless you know the person you're with and trust them absolutely - this doesn't mean someone you met last week. Don't in any event walk in the barrios at night or go alone. Torre Alta is one of the nicer neighbourhoods. And.............don't drop the morals you have in Canada at the airport, drop the judgements you might make.

Welcome to DR1 and welcome to Puerto Plata! :)

P.S. You wouldn't be able to legally get a gun in 2 months here (you need residencia) so please put that idea out of your mind. Sensible precautions mean the best arms you can carry are your wits.

Last edited:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
If you lead a quiet life and don't go out drinking in tourist discos every night you will gain more respect. Just remember, meet people where you work, and stay out of Mangu.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Good advice from Lambada. Daytime in POP is safe to walk around. Nighttime should be treated as you would in any unfamiliar place or big city with the addition that you will most probably be an easily spotted as a foreign female, and often here the bad guys assume that because you are a gringo, you are a tourist and unaware of your surroundings or the common tricks, scams etc. Especially if you don?t speak the language, it would be great to have a local friend, gringo or not, to get around with.
Public transport is safe, and if taking a taxi, get the place you are leaving(your hotel, restaurant etc,) to call one for you. Knowing spanish gives you the best advantage to fitting in and making local friends. Dominican guys that speak English are not uncommon and it is not uncommon for them to have done time in the U.S. Not all, but it is a trend.
Most important, don?t drink too too much, keep a friend around and enjoy the beautiful country.

ash

May 7, 2006
Thank You guys so much for all of your information! I really do appreciate your time in responding to my post. I have gained so much information but it never hurts to learn more. I have been told about Mangu and have not been to this disco even when I have been on vacation.
I do have another question..I am reading about barrios, could someone clarify as to what exactly is meant by barrios? I am not sure.

Thanks again Ash
more info on anything would be great.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Literally a barrio is a neighborhood. There are barrios buenos y barrios peligroso, feo, etc.
Barrio isnt a derogatory term. But just as in any country, if it is a bad barrio, and you aren?t from that barrio then you?re better off no wandering around.
As far as discos are concerned, generally the most dangerous part of a disco, much like in the states, is a fight breaking out and findinjg oneself in the middle. Two idiots with pistols, etc. In all my hours spent in bars in this country I?ve only seen that once. The more probable is two chicas goiing at it, then of course, watch for flying rocks, bottles, etc.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
hmmmmmmmmmm, maybe we have seen different things - but to me, dressing like a local female often means wearing the tighest pants and blouse possible with as much clevage as possible showing.

It is hard to tell a working gal from a school girl.

That indicates the sort of local females you have seen no doubt. But I was talking about respectable Dominican women, my friends of all ages, who might wear fashionably tight pants but who would never expose boobs. I'm in Puerto Plata, maybe you are somewhere else?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Meaning no disrespect, in fact gratitude, cleavage is seen amply here whether in the super or in a carwash. I credit the Dominican women with being very beautiful and sexy no matter their age or body type. In a recent visit to Mexico all I could think was ?this aint the D.R.!!?

ash

May 7, 2006
Thanks again guys for your info, I guess its just listen, read and learn until I am actually there to live it. I am very excited to have this opp for my workterm but am still a little nervous at the same time (but usual when your going so far away from home). I have met some great people on here that have given me so much information and has offered to help me out when I arrive, so I want to thank you for having this forum and all the people who take their time to help others out. One person in particular I would have to mention is (Planner) she has given me so much information, took me out when I was there and offered to help me in anyway possible during my stay. She has taken me under her wing to make this opp. available and I feel that there is no other person that I am more comfortable with to make this happen for me and show me the ropes.

Thanks again for all the info.
Any other experiences about living or pointers from locals/tourists/people working abroad in the Dominican Republic are welcome.

nomads

Oct 31, 2007
Dear Ashley,
Most of the other replies were good. We lived in the DR for 3 years, most of it in POP. We worked, we partied with friends [even in barrios] and never had a problem!
The best advice I can give you is, don't do anything there that you would not do at home. In other words, if it doesn't feel right ... don't do it.
The only people who I knew of to get into any sort of trouble were ones who completely abandoned their *common sense*! So please take that with you!!!
M