Politics in the D.R

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
This is something incredible to me i have never seen this in any political campaign. Yesterday morning when i went to Jumbo in la romana there was a Political Caravana i don't even know who the candidate is but i saw there were people in town flocking torse the caravan like they were throwing something as gifts for people. This politician was giving away Salami people were killing each other on the street for one. " Incredible" Then when i came out of jumbo driving torse Casa de campo there were a line of maybe a thousand people trying to get a free live pig?????? Politics in the D.R:speechles

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, very common. IN the smaller pueblos you will see trucks giving away staples to the people on behalf of the candidates. I have seen this numerous times, and it is the accepted political process.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
This is something incredible to me i have never seen this in any political campaign. Yesterday morning when i went to Jumbo in la romana there was a Political Caravana i don't even know who the candidate is but i saw there were people in town flocking torse the caravan like they were throwing something as gifts for people. This politician was giving away Salami people were killing each other on the street for one. " Incredible" Then when i came out of jumbo driving torse Casa de campo there were a line of maybe a thousand people trying to get a free live pig?????? Politics in the D.R:speechles

Why are you surprised? It's the same on your island, the difference being in your case the handouts are by Uncle Sam..

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That would be Aristy Castro, PRSC. See a lot of red around? Flags, helicopter, faces? Here's the salami bunfight from Montellano a few weeks back.
YouTube - Peleando por un salami

Don't rush for the pig with the red ribbon...............sometimes it's a plastic one. And if you're in the area when the helicopter takes off, wear head protection. Sometimes they fling frozen chickens out & from an altitude of several hundred feet they can cause serious brain damage..............

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Speaking of poitical party colors, it dawned on my a couple years ago that political parties in countries where illiteracy is prevalent tend to use colors to identify themselves to their constituents. ANy thoughts on the validity of this?

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Why are you surprised? It's the same on your island, the difference being in your case the handouts are by Uncle Sam..

Again Nationalism??? It was comment i have never seen a candidate in Puerto rico giving Salami and Live Pigs????????????????????????????????? Come on

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
I Just saw the video there should be some kind of law against that?? What i see is a candidate taking advantage of the poor and Hungry people and creating caos just so they vote for him. I also saw a video of an helicopter throwing money. There is no accountability do they have ethical boards against campaigns doing that in the D.R it shows the Ignorance of desperate people trying to survive which ever money they could get.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006

You see? instead of accepting the wrong in that action they have to justify with a lie that is not true. Never in my life or is permitted by law in P.R for a candidate to handout money or salamis or live pigs to the population to get a vote is Illegal and is wrong in the D.R or which ever country they do that. And it shows the desperation of poverty and IGNORANCE?????????

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Again Nationalism??? It was comment i have never seen a candidate in Puerto rico giving Salami and Live Pigs????????????????????????????????? Come on

Pigs...Welfare...tax exemptions..in the end it's all the same.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Pigs...Welfare...tax exemptions..in the end it's all the same.

My friend look at the figures in puerto rico out of 125,000 thousands dominicans 75% apply and are recepients of welfare the same goes in new York where dominicans outnumber all hispanics in welfare. Tax exemptions are good for everyone specially the ones that your presidents give foreigners like me to acquired land and properties in the D.R tax free. There no comparison?????? The actions of this politician is the lack of respect torse the dominican people i see that as disrespect and it show IGNORANCE??????

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
You see? instead of accepting the wrong in that action they have to justify with a lie that is not true. Never in my life or is permitted by law in P.R for a candidate to handout money or salamis or live pigs to the population to get a vote is Illegal and is wrong in the D.R or which ever country they do that. And it shows the desperation of poverty and IGNORANCE?????????

You see what? Am I missing something? What exactly is your point?

Did I agree with this practice? No..I actually hate that candidate and find it shame..But Amable will never win.

Now I ask the same of PR..If people really did not want the pig..excuse me..the benefits of being a territory of a wealthy nation, you have the chance to change that..but of course that free pig is better.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My friend look at the figures in puerto rico out of 125,000 thousands dominicans 75% apply and are recepients of welfare the same goes in new York where dominicans outnumber all hispanics in welfare. Tax exemptions are good for everyone specially the ones that your presidents give foreigners like me to acquired land and properties in the D.R tax free. There no comparison?????? The actions of this politician is the lack of respect torse the dominican people i see that as disrespect and it show IGNORANCE??????
Amigo, you're no longer in Puerto Rico. Welcome to politics, Dominican style. Enjoy the show.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
You see what? Am I missing something? What exactly is your point?

Did I agree with this practice? No..I actually hate that candidate and find it shame..But Amable will never win.

Now I ask the same of PR..If people really did not want the pig..excuse me..the benefits of being a territory of a wealthy nation, you have the chance to change that..but of course that free pig is better.

No my friends because the more than 32,0000 thousand Puerto ricans that have died for that Wealthy Nation in foreign wars, The millions of Puertoricans that pay every month our taxes and social security for that wealthy nation. 32 billion they take out every year in profits out of our island because of the commonwealth. I think Puertoricans in the Island and in the U.S have paid enough for those benefits????????

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
do they have ethical boards against campaigns doing that in the D.R

Technically the JCE manages elections & campaigns but...............an 'ethical board' is a bit of an oxymoron when the members are themselves political appointees.

The behaviour is of course utterly demeaning to the poor. In other countries buying votes takes different sometimes more subtler forms or results are tabulated with rigged machines
European press: It wasn't a miracle - Hillary won via a rigged vote
but the DR is not alone in manipulating the vote. The difference here is that it is very obvious & everyone knows about it. I was brainwashed enough at one time when I lived in my country of origin (UK) to think such things could never happen there. But they do - you can google Cash for honours scandal or Tony Blair.

Kemo

Nov 2, 2006
Technically the JCE manages elections & campaigns but...............an 'ethical board' is a bit of an oxymoron when the members are themselves political appointees.

The behaviour is of course utterly demeaning to the poor. In other countries buying votes takes different sometimes more subtler forms or results are tabulated with rigged machines
European press: It wasn't a miracle - Hillary won via a rigged vote
but the DR is not alone in manipulating the vote. The difference here is that it is very obvious & everyone knows about it. I was brainwashed enough at one time when I lived in my country of origin (UK) to think such things could never happen there. But they do - you can google Cash for honours scandal or Tony Blair.

Come on??? always some kind of political corruption at certain levels in inevitable . The U.K political process is one of the cleanest and most organized processes in the world. I sometimes think besides having the queen as the head of state democracy in the U.K is one of the most stable and respectful in the world. Go tory??????????

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dignity - by Adriano Miguel Tejada - Diario Libre Fri 25.1.2008

The country has problems with hunger, but we're not going to solve them with handouts. There is a strong temptation when it tries to turn our country into a country of beggars.

The news is that the "Solidarity" card is going to be extended to millions more people. A man or woman who gets used to begging is never going to work again. They become parasites and will breed parasites, in the same way as illiterates will breed illiterates.

From the political point of view, this news is a triumph, but for a nation that wishes to enter into modernity, it is shameful, because what this basically means is that the authorities, the social planners, have thrown in the towel and have ditched the basic principles of development - education, employment, health and personal dignity - for the politics of handouts, that are repaid at the polls every four years.

The tragedy is that all the candidates are offering the same thing. None of them is capable of telling poor people to pick up their machetes and work in the city or the countryside and get paid for it. So that each individual feels that s/he is contributing to the common task of improving the country, instead of degrading them to pathetic figures with their hands extended.

In this country everything still remains to be done. Let's allow people to contribute, to clean their barrios, to clear their gullies, to repair roads, to collect garbage - whatever they can do according to their strength and ability, but let's not give them handouts.

On the eve of the day dedicated to our founding father, let's make an extra call for people to work and make the most of their time.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Chiri can you explain more of what the "solidarity" card is all about. I'm assuming this "solidarity" card is something akin to welfare like in the US, although welfare was reformed quiet a bit during the Clinton administration. Very good piece.

Perhaps this thread has a better home in the government section.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Solidarity card is a debit card given to poor families, which they can use to buy about RD$600 worth of basic items each month from approved outlets, usually colmados. The selection criteria are not that clear and in my experience the cards usually go to the party faithful rather than the really needy. Now that the elections are coming up, the government has decided to issue several thousand more. I suppose it's one way of countering Amable's free piglet and chicken free-for-alls.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The country has problems with hunger, but we're not going to solve them with handouts. There is a strong temptation when it tries to turn our country into a country of beggars.

The news is that the "Solidarity" card is going to be extended to millions more people. A man or woman who gets used to begging is never going to work again. They become parasites and will breed parasites, in the same way as illiterates will breed illiterates.

From the political point of view, this news is a triumph, but for a nation that wishes to enter into modernity, it is shameful, because what this basically means is that the authorities, the social planners, have thrown in the towel and have ditched the basic principles of development - education, employment, health and personal dignity - for the politics of handouts, that are repaid at the polls every four years.

The tragedy is that all the candidates are offering the same thing. None of them is capable of telling poor people to pick up their machetes and work in the city or the countryside and get paid for it. So that each individual feels that s/he is contributing to the common task of improving the country, instead of degrading them to pathetic figures with their hands extended.

In this country everything still remains to be done. Let's allow people to contribute, to clean their barrios, to clear their gullies, to repair roads, to collect garbage - whatever they can do according to their strength and ability, but let's not give them handouts.

On the eve of the day dedicated to our founding father, let's make an extra call for people to work and make the most of their time.

Amen to that! Let's have a proper Department of Employment offering paid work as Miguel Tejada suggests. And training as required. Let's get rid of corrupt politicos, maybe all politicos since the lines get blurred between corrupt and straight. Let's put an end to the demeaning exploitation of the poor. Let's.................dream on Lambada. :rolleyes: Or IS it possible?