Holiday Village resort spiders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinpurvis

Jan 27, 2008
Hi, im new to the forum so hello everyone,

me and my girlfriend are staying at the golden beach holiday village resort in June. we have upgraded to the VIP section also.

Im totally got sweats on at the thought of hooooge spiders running around. i understand its the tropics but how often do you get these little buggers in the resorts? are cockroches an issue? im terrified of bugs. Im lookin for peoples experiences of the holiday village resort and bug encounters. any special stuff i can buy to put these things off coming in my hotel room?

any advice would be great thanks.

Kev

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Relax, yes of course there are insects here but in the resorts they are very seledom seen. If you are that concerned ask at the front desk when you check in for a container of bug spray and spray a boeader around your area of concern....room, bed etc........

We live her and have sen very large spiders from time to time. Once I see them I spray around the windows and doors and we do not see them again for several weeks if not months. Those insects, spiders are more afraid of you then you are of them. So spray if you must, and enjoy your time here.

tiggertoo

Feb 28, 2007
Bugs

We have stayed here before. I have not seen huge spiders, we did see some ants. I purchased a small travel fan at Home Hardware (if you don't live in Canada, I am sure your local hardware store will have one) that you insert a cartrige in. It can run on batteries, or if you like you can purchase an adaptor to plug it in but 2 double A's did the trick for a week. The cartrige has bug repellant in it and inside it takes care of the whole room and outside it repells bug, misquitos included, that is what it was purchased for but we found it also repelled ants and roaches. for up to a 15 ft square radius. Hopes this helps, we are headed back for our third year here and can't wait until March.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Hi, im new to the forum so hello everyone,

me and my girlfriend are staying at the golden beach holiday village resort in June. we have upgraded to the VIP section also.

Im totally got sweats on at the thought of hooooge spiders running around. i understand its the tropics but how often do you get these little buggers in the resorts? are cockroches an issue? im terrified of bugs. Im lookin for peoples experiences of the holiday village resort and bug encounters. any special stuff i can buy to put these things off coming in my hotel room?

any advice would be great thanks.Kev

The biggest spider I have seen in the DR was only about 5" across.

Forget the bug spray, do you own a gun?

xdaniellex

Apr 30, 2007
I stayed here last october & we didnt see any spiders running around or cockroaches & we just saw ants.
You should be fun.
have a nice holiday im sure you will love it :D

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
No one mentioned the scorpions! I don?t believe any of the scorpions in the DR are fatal, just painful. Now the spiders? Tarantulas are not fatal, but the black widow and brown recluse, both native to the DR, can be. Generally there is enough traffic in hotel rooms on a daily basis to negate the habitiation of these species, so not too much to worry about. Luckily it doesn?t sound like you have any grudge against vampire bats......

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
thanks for everyones comments, i feel a little better

I'll try to post a pic of the last Spider I encountered in the DR...

By the way, you wouldn't by any chance be related to Melvin Purvis, the Fearless & Famous G-Man, who captured more criminals during his carrer then anyone else...a record that stands today.... just curious

How do you post a pic here? Do you have to host it somewhere else first?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I'll try to post a pic of the last Spider I encountered in the DR...

Do you really think that is necessary??? If you read the OP, you would clearly realize that this person is deathly afraid of spiders and cockroaches. What good are you doing by posting a picture of a spider on HIS thread! Are you trying to ruin his vacation before it even starts. Seriously, now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin,

I worked in two different resorts in POP (POP Village and Playa Naco). The only concern I had ever heard about insects were ants and that is just a natural thing in the DR. Bring down some ant killer and you will be fine!! They are not red ants, they will not bite you. They are harmless!

I only had one spider in my apartment and it was a mosquito eater (can't remember scientific name!). I, too, am deathly afraid of spiders, roaches, etc., but I had to take on a different mindset while living there, since it was the Caribbean and not the Antartic!! LOL Only one roach in my two years there as well.

Please do not let this ruin your fun! If you need extra "precaution" - bring a couple of those sink drain covers, the round plastic ones, place them over the drains in your sink and shower and that will make sure nothing ventures up the drains.

Enjoy!

Marlie

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Do you really think that is necessary??? If you read the OP, you would clearly realize that this person is deathly afraid of spiders and cockroaches. What good are you doing by posting a picture of a spider on HIS thread! Are you trying to ruin his vacation before it even starts. Seriously, now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's absolutely necessary!!!!! Just being Honest with him. There are REALLY BIG spiders in the DR. Sure, you don't see them a lot, but they do exist.

What good are you doing by posting a picture of a spider on HIS thread! Seriously, now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not like it's a Thread-Jack or anything, he asked about BIG SPIDERS.

He should have the facts...

Definately posting the pic now...Kev, helps on the way...:rambo:

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Dont worry, these spiders rarely attack full grown adults, but they have been known to bring down a small goat.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Im lookin for peoples experiences of the holiday village resort and bug encounters. any special stuff i can buy to put these things off coming in my hotel room?

Okay then, post your pic - but you better make sure that it is of a spider either in one of the rooms at HVGBR, or one hanging out in the disco or one sitting in the lobby - because that is his main concern! ;)

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
A spider of this size would never make it past the vigilantes without his or her AI bracelet. If one is sitting in the lobby, it surely is a paying guest and we should give it some privacy.
Im sorry, I cant help but tease about this. But in reality, get off the plane, buy some spray Plagatox at a hardware, spray around your room and forget about it. Or vacation at the north pole. In the tropics there are bugs, spiders and other creepy crawlies. Even the cleanest hotel can have an occasional interloper, and if you plan on swimming in the ocean, you?ll be surrounded by many other organisms that most likely wont molest you and you will never know they are there. All kidding aside, get down here, enjoy your stay and have a great vacation.

OC78

Feb 6, 2008
Fightfish

You are cracking me up with your comments... Keep them coming!!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Honestly, I have eaten these spiders which live in holes usually at the base of a tree. We coax them out by putting a vine down the hole. If the beast is home, he grabs the vine and can be slowly pulled out. Once the hair is burned off over a good flame, the meat inside cooks in a couple minutes, and wallah! A bit like eating soft shell crab without the fancy bib. I must warn you though. The meaty rear end needs a minute to cool off, lest you get pizza(spider) mouth..OUch!! Nothing ruins your day like the dreaded spider mouth burn.....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think you are being a little unkind to the OP.... I also have a phobia about spiders and big creepy crawlies but I have to say that I really don't see many here at all. Having lived here for 20 months now I can honestly say that I have seen less than I ever did when I lived in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.