shipping container, need insight !

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Dear all!

I am planning to ship a full 40` container mostly of furniture to Dominican Republic soon from USA. Shipped cars many times before but never furniture. All brand new IKEA.

Not related to residency.
Anybody shipped things recently? Can you share an experience with the customs?

Any customs broker to recommend?

I have long time business relation with an excellent world-wide transporting company so it is not an issue. I need advice and help with Dominican customs only.

Por favor!!

??? - !!!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
If your favourite worldwide transport agency has a destination agent here, it's more than likely that they have an "in-house" customs broker or an outside one that they work with regularly. Shipping stuff is a big enough hassle anyways, so the nearest you can get to a "fully integrated service" a.k.a. "one-stop-shop" the easier it makes the hassle.

PM me if you need more info/assistance.......

Best,

Bryan

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
If your favourite worldwide transport agency has a destination agent here, it's more than likely that they have an "in-house" customs broker or an outside one that they work with regularly. Shipping stuff is a big enough hassle anyways, so the nearest you can get to a "fully integrated service" a.k.a. "one-stop-shop" the easier it makes the hassle.

PM me if you need more info/assistance.......

Best,

Bryan

No. My shipping company does not have an agent in Dominican Republic. They only provide containers and ship to any port of the world where I tell them. Therefore , all my clients who ordered cars from USA did customs clearence themselves.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
AK,
Whether your shipping company has an agent here or not, whichever ship brings your container WILL have a port agent here. The agent is the ship's interface with port/customs authorities and the cargo owners. As I said before, that agent probably WILL have an "in-house" or an "outside" customs broker, you could do worse than to go with them. After all if you don't have your "own" customs broker you're going to be a "one-off, walking-in-from-the-street" customer for any broker anyways.

Bryan