Possibly Moving to DR in the next few years...

kt7781

Jan 27, 2008
Hi There,

Brand new to this forum, and have not yet read all the different posts. Working my way through though! :)

I'm just looking for some information on ... well ... anything. I understand that's a little broad. I suppose I can narrow it down to looking for people that have relocated to DR from possibly US or UK. I'm trying to get an idea of what to know and information on areas to look into. My boyfriend and I have been thinking a lot about moving. We're trying to plan a trip in Fall 2008 to start some scouting. We've just had enough of the same thing every day, and constantly feeling like we should be doing something else, or possibly enjoying our surroundings a little more. A few questions possibly:

What made you decide you wanted to move?
How long have you been there?
Where have you lived there?
What do you do for employment?
Is it hard to find somewhere to live?
What are decent affordable areas?

I'm sure I'll think of more down the road, but I'd appreciate any assistance that anyone could give.

Thanks so much to all!! :)

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Other than spending real time here, reading the posts on this forum has to be the very best way to investigate. Remember that there are archives as well. Enough info to pass many late nights doing research.....enjoy!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
KT: Welcome! The first thing you must do is search the living and employment archives because this topic has been covered ad nauseam. I can answer a few questions without irritating those who've been on board FOREVER.

First, we (our 5 member entirely USA born family including my dh, 3 boys and myself--PLUS a 100lb golden retriever and 2 cats) almost two years ago now. Dh had gotten a job setting up a customer care center for a US based company. I volunteer for a larger one of the orphanages on the island as the primary care and preventive medicine doc (I'm a public health doc.) What made us move down here was a combination of job opportunity (BEFORE the move) and wanting to have our three kids be bilingual. We had for many years discussed doing an immersion program.

To be honest--completely honest--the cost of living here is MUCH higher than we thought it would be and it has only gotten worse over the 22 months since dh took the job in SPM. We live in Juan Dolio in a gated community which tends to be on the much more expensive side of housing here (we rent) mostly because my dh thinks our kids will be kidnapped and/or I raped if we move out. I disagree but it's a battle not worth fighting.

I'd be happy to give you more info but I think you'll find a wealth of info on this. IF you are a native English speaker, good with people with moderate computer skills and want to live somewhere between the Capital and La Romana (or even in San Pedro), I can put you in touch with the customer care center that hires English speakers (no Spanish required). Just PM me!
Paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hi There,

Brand new to this forum, and have not yet read all the different posts. Working my way through though! :)

I'm just looking for some information on ... well ... anything. I understand that's a little broad. I suppose I can narrow it down to looking for people that have relocated to DR from possibly US or UK. I'm trying to get an idea of what to know and information on areas to look into. My boyfriend and I have been thinking a lot about moving. We're trying to plan a trip in Fall 2008 to start some scouting. We've just had enough of the same thing every day, and constantly feeling like we should be doing something else, or possibly enjoying our surroundings a little more. A few questions possibly:

What made you decide you wanted to move?
How long have you been there?
Where have you lived there?
What do you do for employment?
Is it hard to find somewhere to live?
What are decent affordable areas?

I'm sure I'll think of more down the road, but I'd appreciate any assistance that anyone could give.

Thanks so much to all!! :)

Of all that you said, the crucial word you mentioned -"employment". From which I make a conclusion that you`ll have to work for living, not to live on money that you already have, like the majority of ex-pats ( I am talking only about North Coast). It will be sustantially rougher than you can imagine now.

Those young foreigners (men) whom I know personally for surviving have to compete with haitians on construction sites for $2-$3 per hour. And ALL of them seriously consider moving back to their Europeen countries.

As far as a young female is concerned - well... Donnow...well...:paranoid:

I am not generalising, just share what I see first-hand.

Hopefully other members tell you happier stories.

Good luck! :bunny:

kt7781

Jan 27, 2008
So, I think we're still thinking of moving here, but doesn anyone have good stories about the DR? It seems like all people do on this forum is talk about how bad the area is, how expensive, how bad the crime is and how bad the wages are... :ermm:

Juliette

Jan 30, 2008
Hi there,

I am in the same position as you, my fiance got a job in Juan Dolio and we're moving. If you care to share stories or have any ideas, please message me. I'd love to talk Dominican.

kt7781

Jan 27, 2008
Hi there,

I am in the same position as you, my fiance got a job in Juan Dolio and we're moving. If you care to share stories or have any ideas, please message me. I'd love to talk Dominican.

Well, we haven't been there yet (we would travel there in about 10 months, and then plan on moving - if we liked it - in about another year). I'm doing research and I keep finding things about how great everything is and how much people love it and have moved there after visiting so many times, but then I came across this forum and it's all Bad, Bad, Bad.

I know I shouldn't rely on sites that are all about tourism and stuff because that's not the same as living there, but it's hard to find decent reliable information.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Keep looking, you'll find the good stories. Personally I love living here. But some of us have answered this question before, we're all busy people so the motivation isn't always there to repeat oneself. Look up posts by people who don't hide that they like living here: Rocky, Chirimoya, myself, BushBaby, Matilda, & there are many many others (please don't be offended those I've left out).

Be persistent, you'll find the good stuff. And welcome! What you will get here is realism, the good & the bad. And with respect it isn't hard to find reliable info - there are pages of it on here - just check the 'pedigree' of who is posting it.;)

J

John Evans

i dont know how to link - look up bored in sosua ? you will see some nice things

J

John Evans

gracias - are you turning the other way or were the cones out for another reason - i like to keep up with the flow of traffic

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gracias - are you turning the other way or were the cones out for another reason - i like to keep up with the flow of traffic
I'm guessing that you're talking to me, and once more, I'm clueless.
I understand things quickly if they're explained for a long time.;)

J

John Evans

your street was coned off I was wondering if they were changing the direction of the traffic on that one as well.....sorry to be european but I like to follow the white arrows in the road lol

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
your street was coned off I was wondering if they were changing the direction of the traffic on that one as well.....sorry to be european but I like to follow the white arrows in the road lol
What a super clusterphuck.
If I am coming home from Playa Chiquita, for example, I cannot get here without going out onto the highway.
For that matter, I can't get home from the Super Super (2 blocks away) without going out onto the highway.
I have, over the years, seen some less than intelligent street traffic controls made in Sosua, but this one beats them all by miles.
Surely whoever designed the one ways couldn't possibly have been doing it for the betterment of Sosua.
There must be a hidden agenda, like the means to collect fines for going the wrong way one one ways, or maybe some rich influential dude lives on one of the streets around here and he wants to reduce traffic, whatever the costs may be, but it can't possibly be based on logic.

PS: Ooops. Sorry for the hijack.:ermm:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
There are lots of us who have had good experiences here. We have been here almost two years and have not looked back once. Sometimes on this board it is used as a tool to vent, since arguing with the authorities and such is useless. So we air it out here. Also sometimes things happen that we find utterly amazing (like the new traffic pattern in Sosua as above, or the 2 year repair of the road in Puerto Plata, the full time electric that is still part time etc.) Take much of that with a grain of salt. It is just some getting on the soapbox. Like Ginnie said there are many of us (and more each day) here or coming here that are very happy. We deal in real estate and we have had many "newbies" with smiles on.
Having said all that you still need to make sure it is right for you. Work is hard to find and salaries are nothing near what you are used to. Some of the best advice you will get is come down for a few months and try it on to see how it "fits". Then make your plans to move if it is right.
PM me if you want.

Bob K

JeyJey305

Jan 31, 2008
hey.
well im some what on the same path as you.
im planning to move to dominican republic with my boyfriend and attend a university over there.
i have lots of questions just like you do. but many people dont have the answer.
im guessing you have to go find out for your self.
i went 1 month ago to dominican republic and i loved it.
i wouldnt mind living over there .. but they do pay differently then they do in the U.S of course its going to be different .. different living style.
so what im going to do is go during the summer for a couple of months and see how it goes and ill decide from there.
my only suggestion is that you try it out for a few months.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
i have lots of questions just like you do. but many people dont have the answer. im guessing you have to go find out for your self.

People have the answer for themselves but they can't answer for someone else without knowing that person i.e. what some people consider stressful or unacceptable, others don't. You're doing the right thing in giving it a try & then deciding subsequently, JeyJey. Good luck!