For those in Cabarete or who are going there

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am curious to know if any of you have seen the new restaurant that is supposed to open in the old house of Cheo Martinez. This is located in the Callejon de la Puntilla there in Cabarete. It is supposed to become Chez Cheo

It is supposed to be an Argentinian meat place.

Any comments???

HB

Caz

May 15, 2004
Always interested in new restaurants HB - but I'm not familiar with the street name. Any clues as to where it is near? I would be delighted to take a look and report back.
Caz

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is also called the Callejon de los Perez, by the Supermercado Yanet...

At least that is where I was told it would be....

Hope it works..

HB

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
the only new rest. by Supermarcado Yanet is across the street and is a sports bar as well.....they just finished renovating it and looks to be a nice spot.....
on the other thing about a good steak.....i buy my steaks from a swiss butcher located west of cabarete.....if you know where tropical goleta was you turn left there and just after the old resort, on the left side is a butcher shop....he?s open from 9am till noon, then 5pm to 6pm.....pork and sausages are good there too....just before la cieniga

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
HB,
Perhaps you're talking about the house at the very end of the road on the right? If so, I was by there a few days ago. It's appeared to sit mostly unused for the last few years, but there's been some work done on it recently... didn't look ready for prime time yet, though.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I know the restaurant on the left heading down the street towards Velero is for sale - maybe that's it?

The Steak place in Callejon de la loma is just called "the steak house" I think. It's basically all outdoors but the steaks and pork chops are VERY good...so is the steak sandwich.

Alli's surf camp in Pro Cab is good also, their specialty is churasco for 299 pesos with soup, salad, and potatoes. It's a great deal and good beef, but not made from skirt steak, I thik its palomilo...

I had a great steak at Cabarete Blu the other night, I think it was 525 pesos, tax and service included. The menu says their beef is imported.

Cabarete Grill 15 changed from all you can eat to "any dish" for $15. still a pretty good deal and they have a great salad bar - but they do tack on the 26% t&s.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Alli's surf camp in Pro Cab is good also, their specialty is churasco for 299 pesos with soup, salad, and potatoes.

DavidZ,
Hate to burst you bubble, but that terrific steak is now 399 RD. I was shocked when we went there for the steak a couple of weeks ago. The price is starting to get out of hand

Bob K

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The Steak place in Callejon de la loma is just called "the steak house" I think. It's basically all outdoors but the steaks and pork chops are VERY good...so is the steak sandwich.

It's called Los Locos d'Enfrente, I think... and yes, it's good and reasonably priced.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Onnos is the best deal

Like u said, alis 399 now, still good... BUT nothing beats Onnos happy hour between 5-7. Tapas half price! Lot to choose from. beytween 70 and 120 fpor each dish. Happy hour for drinks between 6-7...

Onnos also has the best burgers I think. Onnos burger with bacon and an egg 170 with friesa and veggies. Double cheeseburger, lot of meat, also inkl. fries and veggies 190.

All prices includes taxes but not tip.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Don?t forget Bambu?s (Cabarete beach)pizza happy hour, two for one. You can get two good sized pizzas for less than 250 pesos. Another nice thing is that their drinks happy hour is at the same time, Cuba/Santo libra?s are only 35 pesos!!!!
I usually go down there once every 2 weeks or so, never had a bad pizza there.
Speaking of pizza, another great place is O La Vache in on Pedro Clissante in Sosua, their pizza`s are awesome!
But I think that one of the people that is making the most amount of business is Jesus with his little stand in front of Blue bar, Cabarete. Makes the best pork sanwiches and are great when you are out on the town and need a quick bite to soak up the alcohol...then start drinking again...always buy your drinks at the Blue bar though, half the price of the beach....in the UK we all go to Chinese or Indian restaurants after a heavy night on the town, in north America usually a burger joint, but give me a pork sandwich from Jesus anyday!
The steak house in the Callejon de la Loma is definitely the best place in Cabarete for steaks and pork chops.
Just next to that is Bliss, a very high end restaurant that is absolutely beautiful. Directly next to Bliss is a new Italian restaurant. Think they open this week, maybe somebody else can confirm that, but the Callejon is going upscale...well, at least the front part!!!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
HB,
Confirmed with a friend in Santiago... it is the house he & i looked at last week at the end of that road on the right. Some work has been done, but not open yet.

Definitely 'waterfront', there's really no beach to speak of there at this time.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
HB,
It is not open yet, but planning to be.
DZ,
It is the street Velero is on, at the end, on the right, on the water, beside Otra Cosa kinda.
The street is heating up. They want to do flea market art fairs on the weekend.
Of course, they have to do all this before the tides wash their beachfront property away!
The new sports bar is owned by a nice couple from Washington state who are completely new to the country and I wish them luck......he is the cousin of Rob and Sandy of the former well-known Taco Tuesdays at Encuentro and now of Cabarete East.
Why does HB, who lives in Santiago, and I who live in Sosua have to tell you guys in Cabarete what is happening in your own backyard?!!
(kidding guys). ( I just thought HB would get a kick outta that).

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Well...ummm...being the American Consular, you *should* know everything that's going on on the North Coast!! :)

and HB is just a smart, well-connected guy!!

In any case, Flea markets and art fairs, plus a couple of new restaurants on that road sounds great, could make the east end of Cabarete a lot more fun...

and BTW, they expanded Janet's supermarket. Did you know that? LOL