When in Rome...

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Ok, so a search of the forum brings up 327 results for this phrase. It is used a lot around here. I just wanted to know what people think of this approach. Often at times people are told to compromise their beliefs, wether it be how they drive, dress, treat women, etc.

Does the saying hold true, "When in Rome do as the Romans"? Or should people do their thing, their way?

I think that there are times when you don't really have a choice but to adapt and do things the way they are done where ever you may be. Other times, I find that this advice isn't relevant and shouldn't be followed. For example, don't wear shorts around town, dominicans don't wear shorts around town. I think that if you're more comfortable in shorts, wear them, if you're judged by it, who cares, those people are worth your time. The list goes on and on. Please discuss.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
...when in Rome...

I adapted myself to most things... I wear long pants when I have to go to Santiago or Sto Dgo... I go with the flow... But I wear mostly shorts in Las Terrenas or any such beach-town :)

My main problem is loud music... After more than a decade, it still bothers me... I have ear-plugs... It helps a lot, to a certain extent...

Language is not a problem, I spoke fluent Spanish before coming here...

-Food ? well, I grew a bit tired of regular Dominican food, so I try to go for anything else, but every once in a while, I am pleasantly surprised when I eat Dominican...

But I think it is an illusion to think one can "become" a Dominican. As mush as I believe it is very positive to adapt, I believe one has an identity, whether it is national, or cultural... (sometimes even racial, but I don't mean anything bad when I write that...)

I am by no means a Dominican, but my kids are...

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
in DR there are times "When in Rome..." is the only way to get where you're going. Like driving! A one way street? Nonsense! And it's an accepted way to get around especially in SD.

I think it's part of experiencing another culture to try it on for a while. Other than that, I'm pretty much the same whether SDQ, NYC, or ORY.

CJ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When visiting any country, I try to respect local customs but not to the point where I compromise my principles. I do not expect to visit Saudi Arabia or Iran in the foreseeable future. :)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I agree with the driving too, after all, street signs, lights, lines aren't really laws or anything - they're suggestions. ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ditto what Chiri said. I'll adapt but not compromise something which is a principle for me - for example I'm pretty punctual even after 15 years here and I plan in advance. I just never expect anyone else to plan or be on time. Seems to work ok.