Passports for Adopted Dominican Children by US Citizens

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
HELP! HELP! HELP!

Does anyone have a complete list of the form numbers and the accompanying documents necessary for the application by a US Citizen to get passports for adopted Dominican children.

I know this is possibly an asinine question, but I have searched high and low for such with no avail. The subject is spoken to in typical "governmenteze" but still leaves much to be interpreted by the readers.
My reason for asking is obvious. The adoption of our three boys has been approved by CONNANI and the Judicial system in Santiago as of 8 December 2007 and all the documents are now in the hands of the JCE who will authorize surname change and place my name as Father of the children. Exactly when that will take place is anyones guess.
The point (at last) is that the boys must have a US Passport before the Social Security Administration will issue an SSAN for them, thereby permitting them to be the recipients of whatever benefits are due them.
Since it is my intention to re-migrate to theUSA upon completion of all required paperwork, plus a visa for my wife, I am vitally interested in obtaining these passports ASAP.
Anyone's answer will be greatly appreciated so long as it is complete and accurate. I have sent a FAX request to theUS Consulate, Passport division, for this information, but have no idea if they will even respond other than to refer me to their web page which is void of any such information needed.
At lest i can't find any.

Texas Bill

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Adopted children

If adopted, then for ALL legal purposes, I would think that you would need to Declare them at the US Embasy just as natural born children, just a thought to hopefully get you in the right dirrection.

To get a SSN a forgein born child must be declared before the US counsolate.

Anyway good luck with the embassy, and congrats getting thru with Connani.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Congratulations TexasBill. :classic: Then again, they don't make it easy, do they?

I'm not sure if you are looking for US passports, or DR passports so, besides a note of congratulations, I cannot contribute. If it was me, I'd march into the US consulate and say .. these here are my kids ... here is the paperwork to prove that ... what do I need to get passports for them?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Texas Bill, in order to apply and receive a US passport, the applicant MUST be a US citizen. In the case of children adopted by US citizen, The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (H.R. 2883), governs the conditions by which US citizenship is acquired.

The bill grants automatic citizenship to all foreign-born children who are under 18 years of age; admitted to the United States as lawful permanent residents; and in the legal and physical custody of at least one parent who is a US citizen. Parents no longer are required to submit an application to have their children naturalized.

source: Citizenship

Also have a look at: passport

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
TexasBill, here is more info....

A child adopted by a U.S. citizen and who will reside in the US must obtain an immigrant visa before he or she can enter the U.S. Issuance of visas is governed by the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which currently provides for two categories of adopted children to immigrate to the United States. The first category, as provided in INA 101(b)(1)(E), allows a child adopted by an American citizen before they reached the age of 16 who has already resided with the adoptive parent in their legal custody for two years, to immigrate to the United States. The second category, as provided in INA 101(b)(1)(F), allows an ?orphan,? as defined by U.S. law and regulations, to immigrate. Since most parents adopting overseas do not meet the custody and residence requirements of 101(b)(1)(E), the focus of this information sheet is on 101(b)(1)(F) orphans. Parents who believe that their situation may fall into the first category should contact their nearest USCIS office or Embassy or Consulate for additional information. The Department of State strongly advises U.S. citizens to verify that a particular child will fit into one of these two categories per U.S. immigration law and regulations before proceeding with an adoption. A consular officer cannot issue a visa to an adopted child if he or she does not meet the legal definitions of 101(b)(1)(E) or 101(b)(1)(F).

Soure: How can Adopted Children Come to The United States?

I hope this is helpful, good luck!
NotLurking

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Well, I finally got through to the Embassy by telephone. They still haven't answered my FAX, but the lady I talked to in the USCIS office did give me a list of documents which needed to be filed to get my wife and children to the States under current regulations.
Another source is through "DominicanstotheUSA.com".
These people have their stuff together real good andoffer complete instructions as to which forms are necessary, including supporting documentation and probable timeframe for processing. They even go into the process of the total package, including many of the questions which will be asked andgive some hints as to how to answer those questions, including some ofthe"catches" involved. WOW, whata runon sentence!!
I need a refresher course in writing, dom't I???
Anyway, we are begining to collect thenecessary paperwork for the initial application.
Will keep you posted on progress.

For those of you who don't know how to get there, go to the Embassy Web Site, then go to Senior Embassy Officials, then to Homeland Security, then to USCIS. Their phone number islisted. The lady I talked with was VERY courteous and helpful. She answered most of my questions, but a couple were outside of her "job description".
Good luck all.

Texas Bill

Last edited: