Foodies in the DR

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
My fiance and I will be visiting the DR for the first time. As diehard 'foodies', we want to ensure we really experience the country (and the Carribean region) through it's local food. We'll spend a couple days in Santo Domingo, a few more in the Samana peninsula, and then the last of them in the Bavaro/PC area. Any 'you gotta go' and 'can't miss' recommendations-- be it places we go to, or things we have to eat? And we know from personal experience the best places don't always have tablecloths or silverware :)
Thanks!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I hope you like rice, chicken and beans.....I do.
To me the DR is not a great gastronomical experience, but the beautiful places that you can enjoy a fried fish and a cold beer make up for it. Personally, Saman doesnt have anything great, get off the malecon and eat local, its half the price and better.
LT has a bunch of European hosts, but again, here it is all about fresh, local fare.
Spicey to a Dominican is black pepper(which you will rarely find on a table). Try a roast pig roadside, chicken carbon and some fresh fish(whole). I wouldn't eat fish fillets anywhere. Remember, power and refridgeration are in short supply on the north side.
I love fresh juice on a corner, and dont worry about the origins of ice. Pizza is out of the question. The daily plate is called the bandera and is decent, healthy and cheap.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Try freshly caught seafood with coconut sauce, especially in the Samana area, at beachside shacks or restaurants like the ones at Playa Rinc?n. Don't forget to try the coconut bread ('pan de coco').

On the whole, the DR's tourist areas offer a nice balance between local fare and some great international cuisine - as everywhere, you can usually spot the better places because they are busier. Many of the foreign-run restaurants will offer dishes influenced by local traditions too.

DR1 has an article on Dominican food, and for more detail there is DominicanCooking.com

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I'd say that the standard of restaurants is relatively high in Las Terrenas (on the Samana peninsula), compared to other tourist towns. IMHO the best, after Santo Domingo of course and perhaps Santiago, for creative international/Dominican cuisine. Maybe a side-effect of the large French presence there...

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I really recomend the dish habichelas con dulce for a great local dish although it may be hard to find unless you are there around Easter. Our nanny's mother made the best that I have ever eaten. Bon even puts this out as an ice cream flavor for a month or two each year and it is good as well.

A good sanchocho (sp?) is also a must try, Cream of auyama soup, frio frio, chivo picante, mmm I miss Dominican food. Although I must say rhogani nan and the other food here is super as well.

Jan 9, 2004
El Conuco

If you want traditional Dominican food, including sancocho, coupled with a countryside atmosphere, then El Conuco in Santo Domingo would be an excellent choice. I have been traveling to the country for many years and always try to spend one night dining there. Others may debate its merits, but I personally have always enjoyed the experience.

P.S. Go at night and enjoy the entertainment provided. Bring your video camera!! For a sneak peak, go to "You Tube" and type in El Conuco.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

My fiance and I will be visiting the DR for the first time. As diehard 'foodies', we want to ensure we really experience the country (and the Carribean region) through it's local food. We'll spend a couple days in Santo Domingo, a few more in the Samana peninsula, and then the last of them in the Bavaro/PC area. Any 'you gotta go' and 'can't miss' recommendations-- be it places we go to, or things we have to eat? And we know from personal experience the best places don't always have tablecloths or silverware :)
Thanks!

Last edited:

panatlastv

Apr 5, 2005
Foodie?

From where and when did the term "foodie" arise? What happened to gourmet'? I think the word reeks of arrogance. Why not just say "We really like expensive food and think that most other diners are not as erudite as we".

I think I will start to refer to myself as a "Beerie".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Foodie is just a way of saying someone who likes [good] food. If anything 'gourmet' sounds pretentious and self important. Foodie is more self-deprecating IMO. I would call myself a foodie but not a gourmet. And a Beerie, why not?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
well, I consider myself a Beeret, as I like my Presidente a certain temperature and freshness. But I have a difficult time extending my pinkie while raising a JUMBO bottle to my parched, though cultured, lips.

Stateside

Dec 11, 2007
I don't want to get sidetracked, but to me 'foodie' is someone truely passionate about food-- be it on china, or a paper plate -- in a restaurant, or a roadside eatery.

To all who have provided recommendations to date, it's greatly appreciated! I welcome any additional input!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
The daily plate is called the bandera and is decent, healthy and cheap.

I think you mean bandeja: (dish)
as in bandeja dia and bandeja tipica

bandera is a flag, isn't it? But who knows they are very patriotic people :paranoid: :cheeky: or maybe bandeja sounds like "bandera," do they eat the "j"? Sorry I couldn't resist. :paranoid:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
It's la bandera. Like the flag, the dish shows the national Identity. I would add trying some fritura (fried meats), and pica pollo (fried chicken). The avocados are real good. And mofongo is a must try as well. Adrian tropical has most of the typical dishes.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
A bandeja is a stupid female, una bruta, tonta. Basically it is a fairly harsh derogatory term, like as#h&le in English. I wouldn?t ask for that in your local comedor. Or if you dont believe me, order a bandeja for lunch.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
La Bandera
Red (beans), White (rice) and Blue (meat) - well, sort of...

I was taught La Bandera was named after the flag due to it's criss-cross arrangement on the plate, arroz, habituela, carne, y ensalada, resembling the 4 sections of The Dominican flag.

I have never seen Blue meat!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks Janin. I stand corrected on the spelling. And now I know why I have a big P on my green baseball cap! No, it still says Presidente on the back......

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
exactly. a foodie is not a snob term at all. I worked in restaurants for many years and while i dont mind paying money for a fabulous meal...i also pride myself on knowing many great places where i can eat for under 10 bucks in nyc.

There is an awesome place right near the Duque Wellington hotel that has great local traditional food.

I am lucky in the fact my friend cooks for me when i go to DR. I get pulpo my first night (which i find really good for breakfast with toast and avacado). and then he makes this amazing pescado frito con leche de coco. I'm a pretty good cook...but i cant replicate this dish.

Oh...and some recommendeations for REAL mexican food in NYC would be great (not talking burritos). I found a couple of good taco places in queens but thats just too far for me. (and i'd more than just a good taco)

heh...and my dominican friends look on in horor as i put hot sauce on nearly everything i eat (i am half mexican).

Myself i would like to find some places in the capital that just dont serve rice and beans and pollo guisado.