Entering the country with double nationality, one is Dominican

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Hello,

Sorry if the question has been posted but I searched and found nothing that can help me out. I have both Dominican and Swedish (biometric) passports. On my Dominican passport I have my residency permit but it's void since the day I became a citizen. I have to exit EU with my Swedish passport because I have no visa/valid permit in my Dominican one, so my question is do I queue at the Dominicans booth at Inmigraci?n or do I queue at the foreigners since I'm entering with a foreign passport?

I have c?dula, driver's license and passport from DR.

TIA!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The simplest way is to enter the DR with your DR passport (this is what my son does) but if your Swedish passport gives the DR as your place of birth you should be allowed to enter the DR using it without the need to purchase a Tourist card. Especially if you greet the immigration officials in perfect Dominican Spanish. :)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Hehehe Chiri.

My Swedish passport says I was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep. but my concern is that I won't get an exit stamp on my Dominican passport because I don't have any visa/valid residency permit, and that seems to be what the officials look for (on my previous trips they seemed to look for the residency permit and the exit stamp but I can be wrong).

They don't even stamp our passports when traveling within EU anymore.

The simplest way is to enter the DR with your DR passport (this is what my son does) but if your Swedish passport gives the DR as your place of birth you should be allowed to enter the DR using it without the need to purchase a Tourist card. Especially if you greet the immigration officials in perfect Dominican Spanish. :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can explain the situation - it's pretty standard stuff. If in doubt, use the DR passport to enter and leave the DR, and the Swedish passport to enter and leave Sweden. Upon exit, if DR immigration asks where your European visa is, explain that you have dual nationality.

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
A couple of times upon exit I've been asked for a c?dula, but never a Dominican passport. And now that I have my c?dula, I haven't been asked.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks to the 2 of you. I guess I was making a hill out of a mole (una tormenta en un vaso de agua?).

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A Dominican does not lose his or her nationality upon acquiring another. If your Swedish passport states that you were born in Santo Domingo, you will be considered a Dominican by Dominican immigration. You won't have to buy a tourist card and your Swedish passport will be stamped upon entry and exit.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
As always, I worried about nothing. It all worked out fine (as you can read in the trip report I'm about to write).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
That's odd. I wasn't charged the departure tax nor I have ever been charged when I only had my Dominican passport.

The departure tax is included in your plane ticket no matter what passport you have.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
The departure tax is included in your plane ticket no matter what passport you have.
It depends on what country you come from, departure tax is not included in UK flights I M H O. Only i pay the $10 to go in they dont

cotu?sano

Feb 26, 2008
www.selikor.com

Try Aeropostal, the departure tax will be US$ 78.00 but since 9 out of ten times they don't fly, the'll book you on another flight and compensate you with a US$ 100.00 coupon :tired:
At least that was what happened to me during my semana santa visit.