Does anyone know how to use a washing machine?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Well, not just any old washing machine.......story goes like this:

My housekeeper has "inherited" one of those dinky Korean made twin tub jobs, actually a second hand Daewoo DWK500C. Problem is that although she can handle our Fridgidaire front loader automatic, neither she nor we have a clue how the Daewoo thing works.

I've tried to find a "Owner's Manual" on line and in some appliance stores, but have not so far been successful - not that it would help her much because reading and writing are not her strongest suits if you know what I mean, but if anyone has a manual for that kind of appliance, or can jot down some simple instructions, I can then verbalise them for her, or draw some sketch diagrams.

Thanks up front to anyone who can help.

Best,

Bryan

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
How about taking your housekeepe to a neighbor for some instructions?
Or pass by a hardware store where they sell them and have an employee give her the quick lesson.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You put water in the big tub. You put washing and washing power in. You turn the knob that says 5 or 10 or 15, I think is the max. The washer washes the clothes.

Now it becomes interesting. I've seen people take the clothes out and hand rinse it. What works for me (and I love these little machines for a quick wash) .. I take the clothes out and spin dry in the spinner (the small tub .. note you need to not overload the spinner). Then I put fresh water in the big tub and rinse the wash. One more spin and it is ready to hang.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Ok my mom had one of these, now that i see the pic.

Just like Chris said, add water, detergent and then clothes, turn the knob for the amount of time you want after the cycle is finished then......

i believe there is a button to drain the water out, well we had it in the campo so we did most of the motions manually. take the clothes out rinse twice add softenr if you like at the second rinse and then put in the right side tub to spin dry and then hang to complete the drying.

Twin Tub Washing Machine from Harris Classic - User Guide
btw: just read these instructions which are very similar to what i wrote but i din't realize you could add water to the spinner tub??? did i read correctly? we would rinse the clothes and twist the water out of it and then put them in the spinner, which I thought was a lot of work but it beat having to wash by hand.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Twin Tub Washing Machine from Harris Classic - User Guide
btw: just read these instructions which are very similar to what i wrote but i din't realize you could add water to the spinner tub??? did i read correctly? we would rinse the clothes and twist the water out of it and then put them in the spinner, which I thought was a lot of work but it beat having to wash by hand.

You read correctly but remember this is the modern version of what you used to use & a UK version to boot - see pic
Twin Tub Washing Machine from Harris Classic

Reason I posted it is that it answered OP's question & I found it funny 'the drain hose should be hooked into a sink or drain' - bit of a nasty surprise if you don't :cheeky: .

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
my story

I learned the hard way about the water draining. Who would have thought that you can't put the hose in the sink...water does not run up hill remember.

Also remember to turn the knob for draining the water out to the don't drain position when your adding water. If your like I was I couldn't understand why the tub was not filling up. jejej

Here is a story about my first time using one of those wash machines. "The Washing Experience"

Aug 21, 2007
I just bought a new Dominican washing machine. My maid said it wasn't working right. It drained for a few seconds, then stopped. Together, we returned to the store. The manager sent the repairman (boy-who said he is a former Michael Jackson impersonator) with us, complete with his toolbox- cardboard carton.

Apparently, there is a piece of plastic woven tape that attaches the drain knob to the lid of the drain. When you turn the knob to drain, it lifts the lid and the water goes out. The plastic tape on my machine had too much slack, so that the lid to the drain never lifted properly.

The repairman/boy immediately identified the problem, pulled out some cellophane (wrapping paper) tape, and taped the woven plastic tape to another machine part, taking up the slack, and "repairing" the machine.

Using all the self control and diplomacy I could muster, I told the repairman/boy/Michael Jackson that I was sure, if he had the correct parts for my new machine, he would have fixed it properly. But, since he didn't, he did the best he could and made a (very) temporary fix with cellophane tape. If it were his machine, wouldn't he want it fixed for more than a few days?

Long story short, the store is ordering a new machine, same model. We checked all the machines in the store. They all had the same problem. With a few pesos, the repairman/boy/Michael Jackson agreed to first check the new machine for the problem before bringing it to my home.

Moral of post?

Buyer be ware of these "Dominican" machines.

Lindsey