Murderers, drug dealers, rapists returned to DR

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Today's Listin Diario posts an article that states that 119 dangerous ex-convicts including murderers, drug dealers, rapists, and assorted others were just returned by the U.S. to live in the D.R. It also states that DR officials were warned that these men were "extremely dangerous". The article continues to state that over 4,000 ex-convicts were returned to DR in 2007 and that more than 5,000 Dominicans are in U.S. jails and prisons waiting to finish their prison terms and be sent back to the DR. Is it any wonder that crime rates continue to rise in this country? Sadly, these men are hardened criminals who having been in prison will not be able to find regular jobs in their own country. They will probably return to do what they know best: murder, sell drugs, rob, and do whatever else they were sent to prison for in the first place! Paradise lost?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
This has been going on for years. A good percentage of Dominican men that you run into that speak English fairly well do so because they learned in the U.S., were deported for crimes there, often violent, and now reside back in their own country with the additional criminnal knowledge that they picked up from traveling abroad and jailtime with more sophisticated criminals. And many times a guy has come up to me talking english. I know to ask them(if it gets that far)why they were deported. They either answer truthfully that they were or not, but by the prison tattoos and jailhouse slang it is often obvious.
As for paradise lost, I dont think so. But I much prefer to be around the campesinos than some half way house tigre that I know is unscrupulous at best. That is easy enough to find back in the U.S.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Been discussed ad nauseam. They contribute to the crime, but are not the main reason why crime is up (even though many people like to use them as scapegoats). Main reason crime is up is due to all the drugs (daily plane loads) being dropped on Dominican soil and some of that drug staying in the country for internal consumption.

J

John Evans

there is probably a steady flow of criminals the other way as well so you end up with the same amount....errr possibly

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
curious

I have always wondered if any of them can, at any time, apply to go back to US and if US will accept them? With thousands of them being deported, it seems to me that it must be easy to go back at some point.

I know someone who was deported from US and wants to go to Canada or England so maybe that is an easier route for him? I have never asked but I know he makes it a point to try and meet women from either of those countries.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Sorry, I had not seen the post previous to mine on the same subject. But if some people think that returning convicts are not a major reason of the delinquency problem in the DR they are sadly mistaken. The DR is not the U.S. in terms of total land area. Criminals in the U.S. can roam from New York to California in search of their victims. Not so in the DR, their scope of activity is severely limited. Local criminals are enough to deal with without the added numbers of those returned from the U.S. to such a relatively small country!

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I have always wondered if any of them can, at any time, apply to go back to US and if US will accept them? With thousands of them being deported, it seems to me that it must be easy to go back at some point.

I know someone who was deported from US and wants to go to Canada or England so maybe that is an easier route for him? I have never asked but I know he makes it a point to try and meet women from either of those countries.

I don't think that there is any way that these people are allowed back into the U.S. legally. There is a five year sentance for just entering the U.S. illegally if you have been deported.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Matter of fact, these criminals need to be seriously monitored by the Policia, because I saw a program that stated that one of the main reasons the gang (MS-13) is so large in central america is because of all of the Los Angeles gang members being deported back and recruiting members in those countries. They showed a gang murder in El Salvador and when the police turned him over, it revealed his tatoos of the L.A. clan of MS-13.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
No to Canada

This is one of the country, really hard to give a visa for family members, workers, and wealthy and student, Those are people with moral and their visa normally are turn down. I dont think that Canada will accept Criminals.

I believe the name of criminal are on the Interpol data and screen the person is part of the immigration officer.

But law its crazy I wont be surprise if they can get a visa to Canada and the excuse will be "If they havent done any crime in Canada why stop them" just to bring Human rights / discrimination as issue

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I just came back not long ago from a trip to DR, I dont know how does foreigns do business and feel safe with those criminals deported from the US. just look at the point that they wont get a job and if so how much they will make.?

Only to Compare a US wage legal or not Vs Dominican Wage is enough for them to find a way out. They kill the local Dominicans for a simple cellphone what would they do to a tourist......?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
It doesn't matter where somebody comes from, if they have a criminal record, there is a good chance that they won't be allowed into Canada. My cousin was refused entry for a DUI he had had 9 years before. They said he needed to wait another year before he was allowed in. Funny thing is, is that they had let him in 3 or 4 times before, but decided that the last time, when he was going from NY to Montreal for his bachelor party, that he was inadmissable.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
There is no way in heck Canada is going to allow an ex-convict from any country to permantly reside in Canada.

The immigration process is very thorough, and one of the requirements is fingerprint cards from country of origin and any country you have lived in since. You are also required to provide police certificates from any countries you have previously resided. If they have lived in the US, they also have to provide an FBI report. Someone with a criminal record is not going to pass through this screening process.

Canada is a friendly country, but we are not stupid!

Canbon - your "friend" who was deported, I would hope that you would warn these unsuspecting females of his devious scheme, or that you would alert the appropriate officials of his planned "escape" to another country. I know myself, I would not be able to live with the guilt knowing what you know and possibly letting something bad happen once he was in another country.

Why does the DR government not put in place a program to help these repatriates once they are back in the country. They should have a system, where they must enter a halfway house type facility, make them work on chain gangs, and do regular drug testing etc., help them integrate back into society with work placement programs until they can show they are back on the straight and narrow. I would think this would be less costly in the long run compared to trying to combat their crimes, possibly incarcerating them, trials etc. after they are just let loose to do whatever with nothing to support them but their old bad habits.

It is frustrating to sit back and watch this country and its politicians let this country become so crime ridden.

Or am I

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
please do not forget the women deportees. yes, many women have been returned for some of the same crimes men have committed. i met at least 4 women in the boca chica area who told me they were deported for crimes...

it's not just men...

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
warn them?

Canbon - your "friend" who was deported, I would hope that you would warn these unsuspecting females of his devious scheme, or that you would alert the appropriate officials of his planned "escape" to another country. I know myself, I would not be able to live with the guilt knowing what you know and possibly letting something bad happen once he was in another country.

I won't be "warning" anyone...any woman that is not smart enough to find out everything she can before taking a man to her country (or a man in her country or community for that matter).....well, I am a pretty sympathetic person....but they deserve it. Private investigators can be hired and, in my opinion, should be. Just my opinion though. Sounds like criminal records are quite accessible and a simple google search can turn up a lot. Trusting soul, aren't I?

Alert appropriate officials of a "planned escape"......no. Like I said, these women should be doing everything they can ...... everything....to find out about the men they "fall in love" with and take in to their lives.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I thought that was a thing of the past; I'm surprised Canada still has it.

Alive and doing well in Arizona.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/10/29/chain.gang.reut/

I also saw a news report this morning on the same sheriff instituting a chain gang for DUI convictions, with the inmates wearing pink tops and underwear.

The superbowl is in his county and the some of the inmates are holding signs saying: "Bowl Fans: Drive and Drink and You'll wear Pink." hahahahahaha, that's awsome!!!

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Alive and doing well in Arizona.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/10/29/chain.gang.reut/

I also saw a news report this morning on the same sheriff instituting a chain gang for DUI convictions, with the inmates wearing pink tops and underwear.

The superbowl is in his county and the some of the inmates are holding signs saying: "Bowl Fans: Drive and Drink and You'll wear Pink." hahahahahaha, that's awsome!!!

So it's done in the US. But what about Canada?