From the driver's perspective...

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Can you please advise which map is the most up-to-date, easiest to read, well-marked road map available--either in the DR or for order online? Some maps look great to me as a non-driver, but maybe they don't translate to actually being functional as a guide. It's not for me to use particularly, but for a Dominican friend who is afraid to tackle some roads, like getting through Higuey to travel from Bayahibe to Punta Cana. I suspect that I will be navigator to my driver on the "Higuey Rally"!

If anyone has tips on guiding directions, that would help too. May not mean anything to me now, but if I print them and use them WITH the map, we may get there after all! Or do you know if the Mapquest "triptik" works/is accurate for the DR?

As always, thank you for the help!

Kaki

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The map i have seen on mapquest doesnt show enough detail of Higuey to help. But I drove through on my way to Punta Cana and back and it was fairly strait forward as I remember. The are for sale various roadmaps of the D.R. Check in National super market or a bookstore in a plaza. The maps are expensive but decent. Happy trails.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My map experiences are not great. I have never found a good, complete up to date map in this country for any city..... While I understand you can't expect new areas and construction to be on a map - I would expect areas of housing over 5 years old to be on a map.....

Feb 7, 2007
Going through Higuey is straightforward, just follow the signs to PUNTA CANA.

You actually make only two turns, first one slightly left at Isla gas station and the second one after basilica to the right (end of street). Besides that, it's "derecho, derecho..."

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I don't doubt you at all, but...

One time I went through town on a detour. It didn't appear marked. The driver for that trip knew what he was doing and I didn't worry, but I certainly thought "He sure knows what he's doing!"

The last time I went from Bayahibe to Punta Cana, we didn't pass the Basilica. I periodically saw signs to Punta Cana that way too. But for a newbie, there aren't enough signs for my liking.

I found that there were a lot of one way streets and a number of smaller roads considering it is a route traveled by buses. Maybe I was taken on a quicker route and not the standard well-marked path.

I've been a passenger on the drive a number of times, way more often than the driver, but the driver is a native and speaks Spanish. I'm sure we'll muddle through in the end. I'd just like it to be as easy and straight-forward as possible. I too have found the maps I've seen and heard about to be lacking. I will remain hopeful that the next one I pick up will be THE definitive map leaving nothing to question.

Thanks for the input!

Kaki

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My map experiences are not great. I have never found a good, complete up to date map in this country for any city..... While I understand you can't expect new areas and construction to be on a map - I would expect areas of housing over 5 years old to be on a map.....

One would think that, then again I have two brother's in law that are truck drivers that drive all over the island and have never read a map. It's all done by memory and asking directions.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Maps are not a well used source of information here in the D.R. Not for roads, or even for general location of the country in relation to the rest of the world.