Horseback riding

Azul13

Jan 31, 2008
Going to Punta Cana on Feb 10th. Can anyone recommend a place for horseback riding? I am travelling on a Wild Card so not sure which hotel I'll be at.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Going to Punta Cana on Feb 10th. Can anyone recommend a place for horseback riding? I am travelling on a Wild Card so not sure which hotel I'll be at.

Totally uncalled for and unnecessary.

Chill.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tache

Feb 17, 2003
My experience from two trips to Punta Cana is that the only horseback riding you can find is from fincas that do not care about the horses at all. The horses are emaciated to the point that one wonders if they will live beyond the week. On both trips I asked the kitchen chef staff for zorahorio crude (sp?) - raw carrots - to bring for the caballos. In both experiences it took the animals a good ten minutes to realize that what I was offering them was food. After which, they were overjoyed and eager to follow me for treats.

I will reinforce my comments by saying that I believe in keeping pets lean, for their long term health. This went far, far beyond. I would truly love to find a place in the DR where I could take healthy, well fed horses for a run along the beach. If I could, I would bring a few sacks of good quality oats for the horses along with the school supplies I bring for local children.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My experience from two trips to Punta Cana is that the only horseback riding you can find is from fincas that do not care about the horses at all. The horses are emaciated to the point that one wonders if they will live beyond the week. On both trips I asked the kitchen chef staff for zorahorio crude (sp?) - raw carrots - to bring for the caballos. In both experiences it took the animals a good ten minutes to realize that what I was offering them was food. After which, they were overjoyed and eager to follow me for treats.

I will reinforce my comments by saying that I believe in keeping pets lean, for their long term health. This went far, far beyond. I would truly love to find a place in the DR where I could take healthy, well fed horses for a run along the beach. If I could, I would bring a few sacks of good quality oats for the horses along with the school supplies I bring for local children.

It's unfortunately the reality in this country, although it has been improving over the years. Especially in the Punta Cana area, the horses are for $$ purposes only. As long as they can keep going and people keep paying, that's unfortunately what most owners care about. There are however a few other options in the area where the horses ARE well cared for and you can take a very enjoyable canter along the beach on a horse that is happy to go along. I can personally vouch for Puntacana Ranch (belongs to PUNTACANA Resort & Club) since until last June I was the manager there. The horses aren't very big, they're all Paso Fino crossbreeds (many are gaited) but they're well taken care for and fed. Here no horse goes out if it's in pain, has a saddle sore or is underweight. You can ask Dolores if you want, she was there a while back and can confirm what I'm saying.

As for carrots, I've never been able to get my old guy to eat them. Dominicans don't generally feed them carrots or apples, rather they give them molasses, bananas or mangoes. That's what my 2 guys love and go nuts about whenever they see me arrive with a banana. Skin and all!

puertoplataexpat

Jan 6, 2008
I have never been horse riding in the punta Cana area....but on the North Coast (Playa Dorada Area) I can recommend Rancho Lorilar. They have beautifully kept horses for all levels of experience. The staff are friendly and speak several languages as well as being excellent horsemen. The Ranch has contracts with many of the tour operators and hotels.
Unfortunately riding on the beach is not allowed in the area they operate..(not sure why or if this is still the case...) But the riding in the mountain there is spectacular.
PS...Take bananas..thats the treat they are used to...They don't like apples or carrots.