I want to work there for 6 months!

Kirsty_Coco_Loco

Feb 1, 2008
Hi, I've just come back from a holiday in the Dominican Republic, up in Puerto Plata. I'm so depressed coming back to England.... Everyone is rude, miserable and all they care about is money!

I want to go and live over there for 6 months and see how it goes. Get a little apartment (BASIC) and a job perhaps as a rep or something in a hotel.

I met some amazing Dominicans who took me to see the real side not just what the tourists see and I just fell in love with the whole country.

My question is;

Does anyone know about the procedure for moving from the UK to the Dominican Republic? I'm 22 and have a good educational background and currently working as an accounts assistant.

Also, how much would I likely to be earning over there as hotel entertainment staff or a rep (or perhaps another job? suggestions?)

How much would an apartment be in Puerto Plata, one bedroom, not bothered about a kitchen so much but defo a toilet and shower?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, as obviously its a massive decision to make so need all the information available!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Don't bother getting a job, just save enough to live here for 6 months and come and have fun in the sun. You'll only earn about 100 pounds/month here.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Puerta Plata isone option for living here, and a place like Cbarete is another that might make more sense for your first time. It is much, much smaller, has a higher ratio of gringos, more tourism outside of AIs and a younger set. Plenty of nightlife, sporting opportunities, etc and maybe a better support base for a young woman living in country for her first time.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My question is;
Does anyone know about the procedure for moving from the UK to the Dominican Republic?

We did it, moved from UK to Puerto Plata when you were 7, Kirsty, & we're still here :) . Save up, get flight only, and arrive. That's the procedure - don't worry about residency unless you decide you're staying longer than the 6 months. Or get a cheap last minute holiday & use the 2 weeks in hotel to find accommodation.

fightfish suggests Cabarete which does indeed have a higher ratio of gringos. If that is what you want, fine, but not all gringos here would be suitable as your 'support base' so exercise good judgement. Salaries are low so don't rely on a job providing enough to live from. And go & introduce yourself to Genni Mendez in Puerto Plata (Hon. Brit. Consul) in case you ever need his help.

Use the time here as an experience to broaden your horizons, try not to fall in love ;) (with a person that is, with the country is ok) & the best of luck to you. We have never regretted our decision - we were in our late forties when we moved & our decision was for life.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Okay, here goes...

I will be the cynical one...:rambo:

I met some amazing Dominicans who took me to see the real side not just what the tourists see and I just fell in love with the whole country.

Were these fantastic Dominicans part of the hotel staff, ie: animacion staff?

Kirsty,

You are going through what is commonly known as "post-holiday" syndrome. I would imagine that you were there for what 1 or 2 weeks, staying in an All-Inclusive resort. You danced in the discos, drank the local beer or rum, laid on the beach, came back nicely sun-tanned, caught the attention of a few charming Dominican men and then had to leave. Next thing you know, you are back to work, weather is crap, same old humdrum life that was perfectly fine before you got on that plane for a holiday. Am I correct so far?

I am not saying this is an impossible dream, but I will be frank with you. First of all, unless you can hook up with First Choice tours and possibly get some type of job through them, it is highly unlikely that you will find a job in any other resort (except maybe selling time-shares on a beach).

How many languages do you speak and understand? Is Spanish one of them, and I am not talking basic phrases like dos cervesa, por favor!!? What do you have to offer that a Dominican can't? What experience do you have as a tour rep.? Tour reps are sent by the company they work at, and sometimes it is a long wait, as I am sure you are well aware, everyone wants to live in Paradise. As far as entertainment staff goes, except for Holiday Village, the staff is Dominican. They are also required to take language classes so they converse in as many languages as they can with the guests at the hotel. Unless you speak Spanish, French, German, etc, you will have some tough competition. My last place of employment made the staff even take Russian spanish lessons! My old boss said (2 years after I left) that times had changed and if I had tried to get a job at that time only knowing English, some French and little Spanish, they would not even considered hiring me.

So having said that, you should consider waiting a few weeks, getting back into your old routine, clear your head and then start a game plan. Start saving your money, at least enough for 6 months to live on, in case you can't find a job, do not quit your job but see if you can take a leave of absence, just in case, you need to go back to England because it didn't work out. Most people move here with money in the bank and investments back home to cover all emergencies.

As far as apartments go, that depends where you want to live and what fits your budget. There are a thousand threads on this subject - you have to do the search, since only you know what is suitable for you.

Monthly expenses, same thing, each individual spends their money to suit their lifestyle. We do not know anything about you so we cannot tell you how much you will be spending each month. Again, search the archives, there is some very good and varying examples at what you can expect to pay for the basics.

Moving there and what it entails - a plane ticket! There are tons of threads on the legalities of working there and what is required - search them.

Bottom line: If you are serious about a move to the DR - you must show some self-sufficiency or you will never make it. This means - read, read, read and then read some more of the countless threads on this subject (because you are not the only one who has asked these questions, it is almost a weekly occurrence). The search button is your friend!!!!!:p You also have to realize that if you do not get a lot of answers from people on this subject it is because this subject has been beaten to death over the years and people get tired of answering the same old questions over and over again. Don't take it personally.

Now - if this sudden wanting to move is because you not only fell in love with the country, but also because you fell in love with a Dominican, who loves you and wants you back, and is phoning/emailing/texting you since you got back - then I just wasted a whole lot of bandwidth!!!!! Then go straight to the Sankie forum and get your answers there!!!!!

I hope you aren't offended that I gave it you straight up - but sometimes we have to take off the rose-coloured glasses and face reality.

Marlie

P.S. I thought I should add, living there can be a challenge, just because you were taken to a few token places outside the resort, you have not seen it all. Living here is exactly opposite of vacationing here.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
WOW ......... AT-a-GIRL Marlie!!!

For you M'Dear that was one HELL of a lucid post:) Absolutely spot on in all quarters.

Kirsty, heed well & study well what Marlie has said - read, learn, study, learn more & when you have exhausted the search function, come back to us with more specific questions. You SOUND (from your style of writing) to be an intelligent person so please take off the present rose coloured glasses (even though they do seem to fit so cosily on the face) & plan for the downside of living here. Life can be good here, but it can also be quite frustrating, annoying & definitely is challenging!!

I fully appreciate what you say about the UK though, I was back for a family wedding last year & could only stand one week there before I had to get back home to the DR!! ~ Grahame.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
What a fabulous post Marlie!!! You need to copy that and save it for future use!

Kristy - I moved to Puerto Plata area 4 1/2 years ago, I love it here. BUT it is not for everyone. It can be very difficult for sure it is very different from what you know. Marlie said it so well. - go read the information on DR1. Get educated before even entertaining the idea of moving here. Once you read and understand then come back and ask the questions you still have. We are more then willing to give you some advice and help after you get the basics.

All that being said, it could be a wonderful life changing adventure for you.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I envy you, I wish I could just take off and go. Make sure you can get your job back (or I guess you can always get another, similar one. I can't risk my job right now, hence stuck in the miserable London - fully agree about people being rude and unfreindly).

You will get good advice here, read all the posts. I would say do the 6months experience and see. As for me I think you need three things: Spanish, Spanish, Spanish - the rest you can sort out easily. The language will give you a different dimension to the whole experience in DR (or perhaps you are already fluent in Spanish).

Good Luck Kirsty_Coco_Loco,
(Funny, Coco Loco is the name of a bar I always hang out in DR.)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I felt the same way as you - but about the Maldives. So I trained as a diving instructor and then left UK for the Maldives. And then I moved aorund the world a bit and ended up in the DR. Diving is a good profession as it is reasonably well paid - enough to live on anyway. Here you can earn 1000-1500us$ a month and often provides accommodation. You usually have 6 month contracts then you can take some time off to travel, and then get another contract somewhere else. But to be easily employable you do need the languages.

Matilda

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I will be the cynical one...:rambo:
Were these fantastic Dominicans part of the hotel staff, ie: animacion staff?

Kirsty,

You are going through what is commonly known as "post-holiday" syndrome. I would imagine that you were there for what 1 or 2 weeks, staying in an All-Inclusive resort. You danced in the discos, drank the local beer or rum, laid on the beach, came back nicely sun-tanned, caught the attention of a few charming Dominican men and then had to leave. Next thing you know, you are back to work, weather is crap, same old humdrum life that was perfectly fine before you got on that plane for a holiday. Am I correct so far?

I am not saying this is an impossible dream, but I will be frank with you. First of all, unless you can hook up with First Choice tours and possibly get some type of job through them, it is highly unlikely that you will find a job in any other resort (except maybe selling time-shares on a beach).

How many languages do you speak and understand? Is Spanish one of them, and I am not talking basic phrases like dos cervesa, por favor!!? What do you have to offer that a Dominican can't? What experience do you have as a tour rep.? Tour reps are sent by the company they work at, and sometimes it is a long wait, as I am sure you are well aware, everyone wants to live in Paradise. As far as entertainment staff goes, except for Holiday Village, the staff is Dominican. They are also required to take language classes so they converse in as many languages as they can with the guests at the hotel. Unless you speak Spanish, French, German, etc, you will have some tough competition. My last place of employment made the staff even take Russian spanish lessons! My old boss said (2 years after I left) that times had changed and if I had tried to get a job at that time only knowing English, some French and little Spanish, they would not even considered hiring me.

So having said that, you should consider waiting a few weeks, getting back into your old routine, clear your head and then start a game plan. Start saving your money, at least enough for 6 months to live on, in case you can't find a job, do not quit your job but see if you can take a leave of absence, just in case, you need to go back to England because it didn't work out. Most people move here with money in the bank and investments back home to cover all emergencies.

As far as apartments go, that depends where you want to live and what fits your budget. There are a thousand threads on this subject - you have to do the search, since only you know what is suitable for you.

Monthly expenses, same thing, each individual spends their money to suit their lifestyle. We do not know anything about you so we cannot tell you how much you will be spending each month. Again, search the archives, there is some very good and varying examples at what you can expect to pay for the basics.

Moving there and what it entails - a plane ticket! There are tons of threads on the legalities of working there and what is required - search them.

Bottom line: If you are serious about a move to the DR - you must show some self-sufficiency or you will never make it. This means - read, read, read and then read some more of the countless threads on this subject (because you are not the only one who has asked these questions, it is almost a weekly occurrence). The search button is your friend!!!!!:p You also have to realize that if you do not get a lot of answers from people on this subject it is because this subject has been beaten to death over the years and people get tired of answering the same old questions over and over again. Don't take it personally.

Now - if this sudden wanting to move is because you not only fell in love with the country, but also because you fell in love with a Dominican, who loves you and wants you back, and is phoning/emailing/texting you since you got back - then I just wasted a whole lot of bandwidth!!!!! Then go straight to the Sankie forum and get your answers there!!!!!

I hope you aren't offended that I gave it you straight up - but sometimes we have to take off the rose-coloured glasses and face reality.

Marlie

P.S. I thought I should add, living there can be a challenge, just because you were taken to a few token places outside the resort, you have not seen it all. Living here is exactly opposite of vacationing here.

Great post, but take it with a grain of salt. You're young, so do it now before life gets complicated. By then it might be impossible.

Above all, have fun doing it :p

ps. You can always get another job if it doesn't work out.

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
What specifically is difficult about DR living?

I've seen it repeated in posts throughout the forum, that it is not an easy place to live. Obviously living someplace is different than vacationing, but what makes life in the DR difficult? Little things like not having items available that those of us living in the US or UK are used to having around? Dealing with people/authorities?
Would be very interested in hearing specifics.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I've seen it repeated in posts throughout the forum, that it is not an easy place to live. Obviously living someplace is different than vacationing, but what makes life in the DR difficult? Little things like not having items available that those of us living in the US or UK are used to having around? Dealing with people/authorities?
Would be very interested in hearing specifics.
It's like going to another planet.
You have no idea how things work and the more you try to make them work the way you've been taught, the more you land up bucking the system and getting slammed into brick walls.
Until one can understand the culture and the language, it can get pretty tough, if you have to work or run a biz.
It's a lot easier for retirees or folks who have enough cash to survive without working.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What an intelligent group we are... Or at least we sound that way in this thread. I would second the dive instructor. If you have French and Spanish there are perhaps "opportunities" on the border. Best is to get a job -- over there- with an international NGO who will send you here. Although, alas, that actually requires real work. You might also enroll in some grad school program that might send you here to study for 6 months.. all different ways that I have heard of... And, lest we forget, real estate-- English, Spanish and French and some really sound knowlege and you are needed ...

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
We did it, moved from UK to Puerto Plata . And go & introduce yourself to Genni Mendez in Puerto Plata (Hon. Brit. Consul) in case you ever need his help..
Get a phone card talk direct or talk home gives you about 200 mins for ?5.00. Phone no for S /D 001 809 4727111 FAX NO 4727574 Mendiz office POP 001809 5864244 FAX 001809 5863096 i always found it better to phone mendiz a very helpful man best of luck VINCE B T W no,s are from the uk
P/S the code for D/R is 001809

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Alright people. What's going on? All the replies were friendly; no easy shots in spite of the target. Must be the frigid temperatures.

Marlie, outstanding response.

Sollie

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thank you Grahame and Planner for the nice comments, I appreciate them. Although the two of you, who know the ropes and have lived there for a number of years, have asked this girl to "heed" my words, we have one that says:
Great post, but take it with a grain of salt.

LOL

I will stand by my words. I also believe the more educated you are about the country, its culture, its quirks, its downfalls, the more you learn the language (and not slang but cultured Spanish), the more you familiarize yourself with the proper customs and protocol, the more successful you will be in your life in the DR.

...and then there are those who live here and think it is all about the partying, discos, and "woohoo, look at me , I live in a tropical paradise, I must be special" ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Your post is sage advice Marlie. Maybe what the grain of salt post meant is that if Kirsty can save enough not to need a job here, then there are those who will survive wherever they go & maybe she is one of them? Look at the expat sages thread, how many of us did all that much planning?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/70875-question-expat-sages-dr1.html

In my days of being 22 it was the done thing if you were a well educated Brit. to grab a rucksack & head off for India & Afghanistan. I guess these days you'd probably give Afghanistan a pass :cheeky: but there are youngsters heading out into the great unknown all the time as part of a growing up experience. However, if Kirsty thinks it is a 'massive decision' then maybe she isn't one of the adventurers, so Kirsty, read Marlie's post. And come back to us because otherwise people give attention to something else & you could miss out.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I know there were a few of us that landed here at the same time and we all had made quick decisions, hardly any planning involved and more or less flew by the seat of our pants. I also know none of us were 22 years old at the time, we all had a little more life experience under our belts, and we all had something to fall back on if we failed, whether it was investments back home, family, jobs we could go back to, etc.

The main difference though is that times have changed. Jobs were a dime a dozen back then, there was very little crime, no drugged out crazies running around shooting each other, Dominicans had not yet become overwhelmed by us foreigners moving on to their soil. These factors and many more make it harder for me to think that our way of doing it would be the right way of doing it, given the way the DR is today.

I am not saying that this girl should not ever think of moving here, I just think she may be jumping the gun and I hate to see someone with a dream fail because of trying to live it immediately. Being more prepared she will have less of a chance of having it all go wrong, after all the DR isn't going anywhere, so why hurry??

Marlie

PS. Thanks sollie!

Kirsty_Coco_Loco

Feb 1, 2008
thanks for all the responses. I understand where everyone is coming from.

I want to be able to do something with my life whilst I am young. See how other countries live. I fully appreciate that I won't be able to have the mod cons that I have now, that it will be a totally different life. Fact of the matter is that if I wanted what I have now i would move to the US or Australia etc etc. I dont want that.

And in answer to your question yes I did meet a Dominican guy who is very nice but I would NEVER move to a country for a man. I would never even move in with a boyfriend, I rely on myself and only me, I dont get myself into situations where if the other person lets me down then I'm stuck. If i cant do it alone i dont do it at all. Learnt from my mistakes.
I moved to London away from my parents with my ex and it was all good until he ****ed me over and basically I couldnt afford the rent on the place, i couldnt afford to live anywhere, i had some really really bad experiences going to view a couple of places.... and i had a choice, to admit defeat and go home to my parents or to make the most of what i have and go without the things i was used to so that i could do so.

I will probaly have enough money to live for 6 months in fairly good accomodation and enough for other stuff but I would need to find some kind of job, there is no way I could not work for 6 months. i get fed up not working for a week.

I think at work I can take a leave of absence to go travelling and still have my job to go back too. If I can't for some reason then I doubt I will go. My job is too good to risk loosing unless I have something good to loose it for.

I make friends regardless of where I am, and will learn anything and also do anything. i'm not afraid of hard work.

i will also be fluent in spanish, which regardless of whether i move there or not being able to speak spanish helps my current work as a lot of our clients are spanish (also russian and french).

I wont be moving soon as i have other commitments that need to be resolved first and also some hard saving!!!!!

Like I said, I'm just trying to get some information so I can make sure I'm 100% positive and also fully prepared otherwise no one will take me seriously.

I wouldnt like to rely on getting a job alone because I know how little they are paid, compared to how much I get paid a month now its tuppence. But then as they say its all relative. I may get paid more but its the amount I need to 'get by' back in london if you catch my drift?

Either way, we live in an age where there is a lot of crime regardless of the country you are in. Common sense gets you a long way in life

appreciate your comments though. any advise whether bad or good is welcome, i want to make an educated decision

oh and the people i met were friends of people i met in the resort so not like total strangers but they werent getting paid to entertain me.

K xxxxxx