Custom fees Via Fedex, UPS, or DHL?

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Im trying to send a package of 20lb. (used skateboard decks).

And later, a package of used baseball bats and gloves about 20lbs.

These are for donations only.

Any idea of how much customs will charge me to pick up these parcells.

They don't have any real monetary value here in the states, I listed the value at $20us.

I plan to ship them to Santo Domingo where I will pick them up myself.

Thanx in advance.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Dealing with Customs for shipping can be a real bear. They will charge what they want, especially if there is not an invoice or a formal donation letter included.

You might be better off investigating the "puerta a puerta" shippers and sending a single box via marine cargo - if you have the time. Customs headaches are handled for you then.

Customs headaches are also handled if you ship to EPS or Business Mail....but that shipping gets expensive on the receiving end.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Sorry, I should've stated that I get a company discount of 75% off.

It will cost me $60. to send. LAX to SDQ in 5 days.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you can enclose a "letter of donation" it might get through, but Customs is unpredictable. Also, it will be five days LAX to SDQ, plus whatever time is needed for Customs clearance.

I have received FedEx and DHL shipments. FedEx tends to clear more easily. The DHL shipment was a set of examination copies of ESL textbooks...and it got hung up in Customs because they were demanding around $100.00 US in duties.

FedExed donations sent to my office (Diocese of Puerto Plata) generally cleared without trouble, but NEVER in the expected time.

I acted as agent for the purchase of computer systems for the Diocese, and when they arrived via UPS, Customs demanded duties of over $500.00. Those computers languished in Customs for several MONTHS until it was worked out.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
An easy way to get by customs is to include an invoice in their, even for used items. this this is illegal? - think again this is what the Aduanas office in the capital said to do when I inquired about bringing two used tv's over. Heck, you can probably find some free invoice examples on the net and print it up.

Just remember the value needs to be less then US200.

BTW, I live in Santiago and am always buying stuff from the States and shipping it it here with no problems in almost two years.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Is anyone aware of thecosts of shipping household goods (furniture, computers, etc.) back to the States?
Is there such a thing as "sharing" a container (very small) like to Corpus Christi, TX?
I may be returning to the States If I can get a visa for Margarita and a US passport for each of the boys. Figure on settling around San Antonio, TX near the military bases there.
ANY advise will be greatly appreciated.
Also, be on the lookout for a "garage sale" from me around August or later.

Texas Bill

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
From what I understand, the US still controls DR customs. This was the settlement for the US' agreement to end their second occupation of Dominican Republic.

Yes, the US has occupied DR twice, and quite brutally.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
An easy way to get by customs is to include an invoice in their, even for used items. this this is illegal? - think again this is what the Aduanas office in the capital said to do when I inquired about bringing two used tv's over. Heck, you can probably find some free invoice examples on the net and print it up.

Just remember the value needs to be less then US200.

BTW, I live in Santiago and am always buying stuff from the States and shipping it it here with no problems in almost two years.
Who do you use for shipping, Chip? And is it $200 per item, or $200 per shipment?

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
I may be returning to the States If I can get a visa for Margarita and a US passport for each of the boys. Texas Bill

TX Bill, what do you mean by "if i can get a visa for Margarita" ? If you're married what would stop her gettin' a visa ?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From what I understand, the US still controls DR customs. This was the settlement for the US' agreement to end their second occupation of Dominican Republic.

Yes, the US has occupied DR twice, and quite brutally.

The US has nothing to do with DR customs.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Who do you use for shipping, Chip? And is it $200 per item, or $200 per shipment?

I use varioiu companies for shipping, Business Mail, EPS, Vimenpaq, Fedex.

The agreement most of the companies(not all) have with Aduanas is that each package must have a total value of less than US200 with a receipt.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
TX Bill, what do you mean by "if i can get a visa for Margarita" ? If you're married what would stop her gettin' a visa ?

It matters not if I am married to Margarita, she is a Dominican citizen and must get an entry visa, ie., visitors, non-immigrant, immigrant (green card from the US Immigration Service to enter the USA.
We applied once for a Visitors Visa ( in 2004, right after we were married) justto visit my family in theUSA and they turned her down because she didn't show that she had an imperative reason for returning to the DR.
I'm sure, because of our age difference the decision was made BEFORE the interview, which took all of 5 minutes. Since then, I have built a house in her name (her parents reside in it), have placed one of our autos in her name an we have a house full of furniture, so the previous decision is moot.
Now we've lived together for over 4 years andI have adopted her three boys. We are applying under a different set of rules this time. It may even take an act of Congress to get them to the States, but I am determined to do so.

Texas Bill