Puerto Plata: el Estadio

Status
Not open for further replies.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have spent most of my visits to the DR in the Puerto Plata area and became accustomed to using the big baseball stadium at the giratory as a landmark. I early learned that no baseball team of any stature regularly played there, but it has never until now occurred to me to ask whether it is ever used for anything at all. I have never seen any activity there in the many dozens of times I have passed by. Who owns it, the city, the province, or ... ? Are there any plans for its future use?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Has baseball games at night sometimes - you both hear the crowds & see the floodlights. Has revivalist type religious meetings, the occasional circus or fair in the grounds outside. Now that the new sports centre is open (on Luis Ginebra near police station) that is used more for all types of sports and political meetings - years ago political meetings were held at baseball stadium. Baseball stadium still retains one spectator sport - it is the base for some driving schools teaching people how to drive...........:)

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ginnie - is the new sports center where that big field used to be on Luis Ginebra just east of the police station?? It looked like an abandoned sports field of some type - I used to walk past it each day when I lived in Ensanchez Luperon.

If it is, that is wonderful, it was such a barren looking area.

Marlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's it, right next to provincial Governor's office. It's also used to put down Presidential helicopter & for commercial fairs as well as sports. Helicopter is a bit of a drag because armed military (usually airforce) line street corners in advance (hours in advance because he's always late) & tourists think we're having a rebellion or something............:cheeky:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I was told that the Baseball stadium used to have a team in the DR league. BUT because we got too much rain during their playing season - lots of games cancelled due to rain - they withdrew the team.

Anyone know if that is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.