Yellow lemons for Pancake Day

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
A question for the Brits and chefs among you:

Does anyone have any idea where I might find yellow lemons in Santo Domingo? Fresh would be best, but if not, Jif-style bottled juice will do. I'm planning on cooking a few pancakes on Tuesday, and while I could use the green limes sold here, I don't think it would be quite the same.

Thanks for the help!

Alan Read

Jun 11, 2007
Don't know about Santo Domingo but you can certainly get lemon juice (not Jif) in Playero in Sosua (but they do run out !) . In Big Playero -Sold in plastic lemons - normally on top of deli counter and also in bottles on shelves near vinegar etc.
Small Playero normally has the plastic lemons - but not bought the bottles in there.

Been getting them for last 2 years when we have been there.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Yes lemon juice in Playero in plastic lemons, but havent seen any in a while, like everything they seem to run out of the things we like best, then rarely restock on some items. Perhaps they will stock up on the lemons in time for Shrove Tuesday

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not sure if its the exact same thing, but there is a variety of lemon called 'lim?n persa' which is yellow and larger than the limes.

J

John Evans

oh god ...dont limes go lemony colour when ripe ....get a grip

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think we may be the exception to the rule here in the DR but we do have lemon trees on an area of our finca, yes they are real lemon trees which produce real yellow lemons. We have just had a fair crop of fruit but, sadly, there are none left now and even we have none for ourselves for Shrove Tuesday. It will probably be next October/ November before they bear fruit again. Last year some other people had a couple of young trees from us and, last I heard, they were growing well so there is no reason that we don't have the availability of lemons here on the island.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
oh god ...dont limes go lemony colour when ripe ....get a grip

The flavor of a lemon and a lime are as different as the taste of chicken or lamb. Or a cigar vs. a cigarette. A brahma or a pint of guiness.

I had a green orange yesterday that was sweeter than an orange , orange.
The yellow ones do not taste lemons or limes, more like kumkwats.

By replying to this I do need to get a grip

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Well, I've occasionally left a few limes lying around to "ripen" for longer than I should have, and the only thing they have gone is mouldy, certainly not a lemony colour.

Thank you for the feedback. It seems that the bottled variety at least is available on the island, so I shall go and have a hunt in a few supermarkets. If I can't find it, I won't cry. There are plenty of other yummy things that we can put on our pancakes on Shroves Tuesday.

Whirleybird - it was interesting to hear that you have your own lemon trees. I would have thought that the climate here would be quite suitable for them, and I'm surprised that there aren't more.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We've got a number of lime trees and ours do go yellow when they ripen, that's normally when they drop off the tree. But ours are still limes, not lemons and yes the juice tastes different.

You can get bottled lime juice in Tropical, Puerto Plata. Also, if you haven't tried it, buy a bottle of bitter orange (it's near the salt in Tropical). Definitely different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they sell lemon juice in jose luis too - on a shelf next to salt and sugar.
whta's the deal about pancakes? tradition of some sort?

J

John Evans

getting a grip

I beleive one needs to look at the nipples to tell what sort of fruit it is. A lemon has nipples when unripe whereas a lime may only have them when ripe